Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    I never had any problems pre-releasing with my marker Kingpin set on din 11. Re Frozen chunder at the resort, 10 to 15 foot Hucks and balls out powder skiing all in ski mode. But I just sold them to get a pair of the Salomon mtn bindings so I could lighten my setup. Hopefully those hold just as well. Reviews sound promising

Sent from my VS987 using TGR Forums mobile app

Ive put about 25 days on my Kingpins mounted on Billy Goats, about 15 days of solid inbounds shredding in all conditions. I've prereleased twice from the heel so far in slightly forward landings (like Judo Chop!) but bumped the DIN up to 10 and havent had another prerelease yet. I weigh around 165 but ski hard and jump off all kinds of stuff into questionable snow. The Kingpins haven't slowed me down yet but I don't see them lasting nearly as long as my all metal binders.

Kingpin charging

Day 5 on this pair. Glad the heel popped off on the skin track and not the chute right before. Worm gear and screw are somewhere West of Sadzele in Gudauri, Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
    Day 5 on this pair. Glad the heel popped off on the skin track and not the chute right before. Worm gear and screw are somewhere West of Sadzele in Gudauri, Georgia.

Wow that sucks.
    Marker makes cheap plastic bullshit*t. Who knew?

Also, for interested parties, their warranty Dept is complete garbage. My shop can't even get a hold of them to get an RMA number. Like, won't pick up the phone. Called to grease the wheels, woman literally refused to sell me things because I didn't have "an account". Uh, shut up and take my money?

Well phooey. I’ve been having great luck so far, but these reports are troubling. I’m 5’11”, 200, no prerelease or any other warning signs. I experimentally got a used pair of tectons, but was ready to pass them on for a few reasons.....now I have my doubts. Damnit!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by Rowen View Post

You may be aware of this but you may want to take a look at the forward pressure setting on that other heel in the photo...screw head should be flush with housing...

Quote Originally Posted by ADKmike View Post
    You may be aware of this but you may want to take a look at the forward pressure setting on that other heel in the photo...screw head should be flush with housing...
    But only when the boot is installed - and as the brake is not retracted it isn't.

Ah good point didn't look at that fact

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    But only when the boot is installed - and as the brake is not retracted it isn't.

Just skied my new KP setup for the first time this weekend. Honestly felt no different than any alpine binding I've been on. I guess being light helps here..

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Wow that sucks.
    Marker makes cheap plastic bullshit*t. Who knew?

Also, for interested parties, their warranty Dept is complete garbage. My shop can't even get a hold of them to get an RMA number. Like, won't pick up the phone. Called to grease the wheels, woman literally refused to sell me things because I didn't have "an account". Uh, shut up and take my money?
    Same shit is happening to me right now. Broke a toe pin two weeks ago (posted the story in another "tech binding broken toe pin" thread); luckily it happened inbound (and it happened on a groomed run on the way to the chairlift - not while landing a 40 feet cliff).

If I would have been in my usual backcountry spot I would have died trying to walk back to the car.

Seems that it's mandatory to go through a shop to get a Marker product warrantied; yet shops can't reach them.

In sum, their warranty department is on par with their product: cheap and unreliable. This is my last Marker binding. Never again. Fuck these assholes.

/rant

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	380.0 KB 
ID:	222607

Anyone having issues with the heel piece icing in place and not sliding? I’m on a warranty replacement pair due to heel freezing and snapping the carbon fiber arm (shouldn’t have forced it).

Both Heels on new pair iced up tonight in 15 degree weather on lap #3. (Second day using them). Went to the car and defrosted them.

Anyone have a remedy to get the heel to slide if I’m not able to defrost or better preventative maintenance to avoid the issue all together?

Try lubing the parts with a low temp grease that doesn't damage plastic.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Silicone spray probably is good too, and easy to apply. [And won't attract a lot of dirt etc.]
    I'd probably prefer silicone, personally.
    [Well, I'd actually prefer which works better and lasts longest - but I have no idea which meets those criteria.]

Don't know if it's bad for the material, but I use none stick cooking spray, figured how bad can it be if you can eat it, seems to work. Year 2 on KP no visible signs of damage. Used it on Dukes for many years. I also carry a small stiff bristle brush with me for cleanup if things look iced.

Sent from my XT1254 using TGR Forums mobile app

I've broken two toe pins in a week on a roughly 1 year old binding. While getting the first toe piece warrantied, discovered both heel pieces had cracks along the female part of the rail system. This week broke a toe pin in the non warrantied heel piece while on a hut trip. That's all 4 corners of the binding system that lasted under a year.

A little unnerving to see the pin issue.
    I have about 40 days soli patrolling on mine with no issues. I'm 190lbs and always have a heavy pack on. No pre release issues and feel much more comfortable hard skiing kingpins than dynafits.
    Only issue so far is the heels really don't like to click if you have any snow on your boots.

They need to get those pins 100% right. Someone’s going to get hurt. All the years on dynafit I just haven’t seen that issue . Kingpins overall probably get put thru the ringer more on average but I’ve seen some stooopid shit on dynafits and they just keep going and going

I've probably put 25 days on a pair, including two freeride comps (mellow ones) and lots of jumps to all sorts of landings. I love how they ski, no issues with durability yet, but I was at about 165lb last year and about 145lb this year, so not heavy.

I don't really want to wait until they break though.

I've got kingpins on old heavy hojis and atk/dyna combo on new light hojis.

The last few years I was day tripping to the Arlberg where a quick tour gets the good, so I skied pin bindings almost exclusively for years. Now I've got a lift out of town and have a more "inbounds" type ski area. I think I'll just go to alpine bindings on heavy skis. Then I've got a light binding for touring.

Or I just wait until next year and get the Shift...

What's a post without some stoke, last sunday:

That is skiing aggressively on kingpins! Stoneground for sure he win!

I rip the groomed on tele gear

It's worth noting the very smooth landings (that's a compliment) so not putting too much stress on the bindings regardless of weight. Which is also why the whole "a bunch of pro skiers spent X days on these bindings and had no problems" always makes me skeptical compared to being tested by the general population.

Awesome. Channeling Candide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    It's worth noting the very smooth landings (that's a compliment) so not putting too much stress on the bindings regardless of weight. Which is also why the whole "a bunch of pro skiers spent X days on these bindings and had no problems" always makes me skeptical compared to being tested by the general population.
    Thanks, I share the same reservations. I know things are all good, until they aren't. Sucks, because I like them.

My blown knees are slowing me down much more than my Kingpins.

Quote Originally Posted by FullStop View Post

My blown knees are slowing me down much more than my Kingpins.