Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Ki Bo View Post
    IMHO sounds like a total BS, as I've never seen or heard of Dynafit toe-pins exploded in half (hello Kingpin), but I still constantly see on the trails a lot of TLT Verticals&Radicals circa ~2010 (?) still rocking, with the pins looking like brand-new (and not worn-out and dull after 2 seasons, hello Vipec). OK, may be it's survivorship bias and all that bad things happend before Instagram but still can not remember any pin-disaster with Dynafits. Any? Aside the "fact" that Kingpin crowd definitely charges harder.
    Yeah so to be clear they were just talking about pin bindings in general, not kingpins. I don’t know if it’s true but it does seem to make sense.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Probably have to consider wear on the boot too. Some people get a season out of a touring boot, other half a decade. It seems reasonable that the more combined days you have on boot/binding combo, the more slop you will get. Similarly, falls/releases on a boot/binding combo may accelerate the wear on that interface. I’m no engineer, but I understand basic friction, and two un-lubricated metal surfaces sliding on each other hundreds of times per use is going to cause some wear, especially if you get grit in there.

There’s also the springs, which can wear out over time. ATK has removed coil springs from their Freeraider toe pieces in favor of an adjustable spring that tightens the binding in walk mode. I think to address the concern of worn out toes.

Really, to be safe you should just use the boot and binding once then throw them away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    Really, to be safe you should just use the boot and binding once then throw them away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Or sell them for at least 75% off market price.

Is the Kingpin a considerable upgrade for a 50!50 ski from a full tech binding?

I’ve got a pair mounted to Dynastar Legend
    X106’s. I also have a pair of Dynafit Radical FT’s. Is it worth moving the Kingpins over to a new pair of Prior Husumes because they’re going to get more lift access days?

The kingpin still has pins up front so there's no more elasticity. The toe springs are pretty weak, so expect pre releases.
    And the heel piece like good, but didn't add anything.

Mtn is a better, sturdier binding

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    The kingpin still has pins up front so there's no more elasticity. The toe springs are pretty weak, so expect pre releases.
    And the heel piece like good, but didn't add anything.

Mtn is a better, sturdier binding

fkyeah rod, one of the reasons i subscribed was to join the "MTN appreciation society" and pay homage to a real aficionado like you.

We should get some t shirts going, nice print on the back "...strange, that has never happened with my MTNs"

I'm pretty sure if my name was Andreas Franssen some one would give me free skis/ binding/ skins every year so i would sell off last years rigs for $$$

so its his job to go out and ski 100+ days a year but i'm betting he used to stretch out product life when it wasn't free

Quote Originally Posted by Va Ki Bo View Post
    IMHO sounds like a total BS, as I've never seen or heard of Dynafit toe-pins exploded in half (hello Kingpin), but I still constantly see on the trails a lot of TLT Verticals&Radicals circa ~2010 (?) still rocking, with the pins looking like brand-new (and not worn-out and dull after 2 seasons, hello Vipec). OK, may be it's survivorship bias and all that bad things happend before Instagram but still can not remember any pin-disaster with Dynafits. Any? Aside the "fact" that Kingpin crowd definitely charges harder.
    It didnt splode but the tri-step Toe didnt really work very well either

https://www.wildsnow.com/backcountry...p-binding-faq/

I used to think dyafit's shit doesnt stink but then I read about the Tri-step toe/ Khion was a lame duck big boot/ beast was the follow on lame duck big boot and they almost snatched defeat from the jaws of victory when they put a speed nose on a Hoji free ride boot

The Dynafit Rad1 had a great toe piece but the heels sploded due to poor design, i blew up a heel so did a buddy a local guide blew up a few and we are all pretty skinny, I know a bigger guide who blew up 6 or 8 pair

But It doesnt all stink cuz I have 2 pair of verticals ( bullit proof) and the Vulcans
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-05-2023 at 05:30 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by oltrepiave View Post
    fkyeah rod, one of the reasons i subscribed was to join the "MTN appreciation society" and pay homage to a real aficionado like you.

We should get some t shirts going, nice print on the back "...strange, that has never happened with my MTNs"
    Ok, i think you're jesting, can't really tell, but i tried a number of bindings and the mtn is the best by far.

Couldn’t be bothered to pull and mount twice. Threw the Dynafiddles on the new boards. I hate mounting tech bindings, these will work, but I never seem to get them that straight.

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    Couldn’t be bothered to pull and mount twice. Threw the Dynafiddles on the new boards. I hate mounting tech bindings, these will work, but I never seem to get them that straight.
    mount the heel dead center, mount the toe by 1 screw only, click the boot in and drill one more hole while the boot is locked in and your heels should drop in to the pins perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    mount the heel dead center, mount the toe by 1 screw only, click the boot in and drill one more hole while the boot is locked in and your heels should drop in to the pins perfectly
    Thanks. I’ll try that next time

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Ok, i think you're jesting, can't really tell, but i tried a number of bindings and the mtn is the best by far.

not at all, i just like your style. I have mtns as well, I like em as well

So I picked up a used pair of elan ripstick 106 black 2020 version with a pair of kingpin bindings, the 12’s with the alpinist toes, as an introductory uphill ski for my stepson. I have never handled kingpins before. The heels have some play where they rest on the track. They also have some play in the binding itself when you grab it and move it around. I don’t have a boot the right size to put in the bindings and see how it plays. Is this normal? Note: the bindings appear to have very little use.

As a side note I have frequently read kingpins are very durable. Guessing folks are confusing weight with durability. Certainly a well made binding, but I expect with the play and all the plastic for them not to be too robust.
    Last edited by cat in january; 05-26-2023 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    So I picked up a used pair of elan ripstick 106 black 2020 version with a pair of kingpin bindings, the 12’s with the alpinist toes, as an introductory uphill ski for my stepson. I have never handled kingpins before. The heels have some play where they rest on the track. They also have some play in the binding itself when you grab it and move it around. I don’t have a boot the right size to put in the bindings and see how it plays. Is this normal? Note: the bindings appear to have very little use.

As a side note I have frequently read kingpins are very durable. Guessing folks are confusing weight with durability. Certainly a well made binding, but I expect with the play and all the plastic for them not to be too robust.
    Aside from the faulty/recalled toe failures, seems like issues have been few and far between? Seems like many have moved on, but there are some local heros that still use them, and Tof Henry appears to use them for most of his big lines, including yesterday's Mt. Blanc descent.

I like mine, no issues. I don't ski them inbounds though.

Locally I know a bunch of bro's have blown up king pins but talking to shop bro down east they have not experianced all those failures

so obviuosly the kingpin has had problems but not down east

I have not idea why ???

Thanks guys. Checked with SoVtJoey who has them and his had similar play, but disappeared when a boot clicks in. He also reported excellent durability, so my Vipec plastic experience is unnecessarily influencing me.

Pretty psyched for these as a 50/50 setup for my stepson. He doesn’t have a pow ski, so these will fit the bill.

Nice photo waves hello.

Plastic on the heel of my Kingpin broke. Looks like it was just brittle after 7 years. Anyone know if M-werks will be any better?

I am pretty sure its the same heel piece between the MWerks and standard KP. Only difference is the risers and toe piece
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Kingpin charging

I thought the material was some carbon infused plastic on the M-werks heel. I was wondering if that was more durable than the plastic on regular Kingpins. Can’t decide whether to get another pain of Kingpins or go with Alpinists.

I have an older pair of kingpins sitting around that need a home if anyone is in need. Ideally priced at the nexus of mag friendly pricing while making a modest contribution to blaster’s n+1 fund.

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    I thought the material was some carbon infused plastic on the M-werks heel. I was wondering if that was more durable than the plastic on regular Kingpins. Can’t decide whether to get another pain of Kingpins or go with Alpinists.
    I believe both heels versions have carbon reinforced carbon, I do not think that is specific to the MWerks. However, the MWerks has does have a different toe piece that which does have more carbon reinforced PA.

Personally, heard some horror stories about the alpanist - if you're looking for something more lightweight, id check out a Zed or ATK.

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    I believe both heels versions have carbon reinforced carbon, I do not think that is specific to the MWerks. However, the MWerks has does have a different toe piece that which does have more carbon reinforced PA.

Personally, heard some horror stories about the alpanist - if you're looking for something more lightweight, id check out a Zed or ATK.
    Good to know. What horror stories did you hear about the Alpinist? Was it the toe or heel?

heels, the turret connection to the mounting plate is small and tends to break. Also, the Alpanist uses a U spring, which typically should be changed out approximately ~50-ish step-ins before it begins to loose some of its retention. Zeds and ATKs are about the same weight, with better skiing performance, easier to use risers, and more reliability.

ATK Freeraider - is the best fully featured touring touring binding on the market right now

Zed - Best bang for the buck right now, a pair can be had from G3 directly for $250

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    heels, the turret connection to the mounting plate is small and tends to break. Also, the Alpanist uses a U spring, which typically should be changed out approximately ~50-ish step-ins before it begins to loose some of its retention. Zeds and ATKs are about the same weight, with better skiing performance, easier to use risers, and more reliability.

ATK Freeraider - is the best fully featured touring touring binding on the market right now

Zed - Best bang for the buck right now, a pair can be had from G3 directly for $250
    Thanks!