Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    It's worth noting there's a separate thread on this forum with several other cases of shearing pins.

If Marker had been out in front of this I could have overlooked it or perhaps given them the benefit of the doubt, but what seems to be their complete silence in response IMO only re-earns them their former reputation. No thanks.

Like TJ Burke said, "I'm really crankin' these down. You Marker out, we don't win it."

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    If Marker had been out in front of this I could have overlooked it or perhaps given them the benefit of the doubt, but what seems to be their complete silence in response IMO only re-earns them their former reputation. No thanks.
    Quoted because truth.

so how I have observed it to work is that thanx to the WWW the end user will know more about a product than the company who built it, form a user group which will figure out there is some kind of conspiracy that the ski/binding/kayak mtn bike / name yer lifestyle toy of choice chose to fuck with their lifestyle on purpose before the company has a clue

who really knows what marker is thinking? they do appear to be coming up with the replacement parts pretty quick which is good, kinfg pin was looking like a pretty good product ... hopefully they figure it all out

shit happens

The ironic thing is that everyone is suddenly jumping on the SHIFT bandwagon and some of these folk would have been the very same people with short memories who said they would never buy a product made by Salomon after the boot fiasco that messed up TC
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Seems to me more like a jump to Tectons. And the ThinCover thing was even discussed in the Shift thread - or was that you who brought it up? (nothing wrong with that)
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

To say marker don't yet have a clue about it is reaching at best. I'm also not interested in first year shift however TahoeJ is on the money as far as I'm concerned. Tecton will likely get my money as pins shearing is not an acceptable failure mode. Its not brake pads failing or risers breaking.

Since you bring up the TC incident, this failure mode could easily lead to a similar outcome. Despite warranty replacements being forthcoming (mostly from shops as opposed to direct from marker) there has been no statement as to why its happening and when it will stop happening.

I am pretty sure Marker knows they have a problem but my point would be doesnt matter if its cool stuff or boring widgets a big manufacturer can be pretty divorced from what is going on out there,

no i didnt previously bring up TC in a thread, I just thot it was ironic that alot of folks were having wet dreams over the SHIFT seemed to be forgetting history

I hope SHIFT works but we will just have to see and its far from out of the woods IMO

I was touring in RMNP this weekend, on the way up I met a dude coming down with his Kingpin tailpiece in his hand. Had snapped the baseplate skiing down. He was a bigger guy, prob about 6' and 200. which is my size, so I don't think I'll be picking up any kingpins

Still waiting on Marker for any news on replacing my broken heel, been a month...

Quote Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
    Still waiting on Marker for any news on replacing my broken heel, been a month...
    Sounds like going through Marker sucks donkey balls. Only good stories I know of involve shop support as opposed to Marker Support. Their customer support is just like their response to these issues with a 750$ binding : Nonexistant.

Damn, hate hearing all of these stories of breakage. I weight 155 and have them mounted to standard bibbys. I have had 20+ days in and out of resorts and bc in soft snow conditions and they have worked flawlessly. Light enough, burly heel, no pre releases, minor icing issues which i have figured out how to manage. Alittle annoying stepping down with vulcans as i have to lift the boot slightly to engage pins. Sounds like I have version 2 sans boot stop, improved pins. I am going to keep skiing them on my heavier planks until they give up but hate the idea that the pin may shear in funky sierra snow. Limiting them to bc use. Binding is a near hit.

This issue is going to make resale quite difficult.

I still think it's a generational issue. I had the 1st-Gen post-pin issue for a few seasons now and zero issues and I've skied them in almost everything. Ice, hard pack, pow, crud, etc.

Buddy broke a heel piece 2 days ago. That makes 2 heel pieces and 3 toe pieces he has broken this year!!!

that ^^ must be Geoff, he is a big guy but he doesnt go crazy on equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Buddy broke a heel piece 2 days ago. That makes 2 heel pieces and 3 toe pieces he has broken this year!!!
    Did it break around the pivot?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    that ^^ must be Geoff, he is a big guy but he doesnt go crazy on equipment
    Weighs 220, and yeah, he's a strong but chill skier. Doesn't really charge or drop cliffs o anything.

For what it's worth I weigh 190 pounds, 186 cm high and raced gates when growing up. I have approx 50 days on my kingpins. Or somewhere around there, I haven't been counting. About half of that is just skiing around the resort with any kind of conditions. I'm pretty sure mine are second gens. So they don't all break easily.

That said, this whole thread makes me very worried as breaking pins high up in the mountains are f... critical and it now feels like an accident waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    I have approx 50 days on my kingpins. Or somewhere around there, I haven't been counting. About half of that is just skiing around the resort with any kind of conditions. I'm pretty sure mine are second gens. So they don't all break easily.

That said, this whole thread makes me very worried as breaking pins high up in the mountains are f... critical and it now feels like an accident waiting to happen.
    Same here. Haven't used my Kingpins much in CO this winter, but was going to use them as my only binding on an upcoming trip to the Dolomites. They've been a damn good do-it-all tool for my last few trips, but I'm spooked about taking them in any consequential terrain. I'm hoping the skis I leave in Italy have room for a SSL 2.0 mount.

17/18 kingpins, broke a heel skiing groomer 2nd day. Both lips that hold to the heel track failed at the same time. Warranty heel, skied for 10-15 days no problem, mostly side country in CO, then suddenly toe pin sheared on a groomer a few days ago. Thankfully both times were on my way to oob not in the middle of nowhere.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The new Naxo's???

Is it mostly 17/18 kingpins that break like glass?

Yes, it sounds like the pins are breaking in that 17/18 vintage and the pins are susceptible to falling out of the 15/16 version.

I have the 16/17 and don't feel all that great about dependability though. I'll probably ski them until they fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    Yes, it sounds like the pins are breaking in that 17/18 vintage and the pins are susceptible to falling out of the 15/16 version.

I have the 16/17 and don't feel all that great about dependability though. I'll probably ski them until they fail.
    First gen of the 15/16, easily IDed too. 2nd gen have been fine so far for me.

I broke both toes and both heels on 16/17 bindings.

14/15 was the first year of the Kingpin.

100+ days on the 15/16s, 190lbs, grew up racing, a lot of those days charging and hucking at Kicking Horse, Fernie, Canadian Rockies and absolutely no qualms of them.

https://www.wildsnow.com/6392/g3-onyx-toe-pin-break/

so I was goggling around trying to find a graph about toe retention specs of different tech bindings and found this ^^ artical about pin breakage in the G3 ONYX ( not ION! ) during the 2011-12 season which was "rare but real" according to lou, G3 seems to have dealt with it so well I had never heard of the problem or at least it was off my radar

Taking into account everything that has gone on in busted bindings if I was buying a tech binding right now it would probably be ION

I wonder if maybe Lou needs to do a Marker expose ?