Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,243

    Look Pivot Dual and Rockered Boot

    Two questions. one about compatibility, one about garage solutions

    1. So the documentation referring to WTR doesn't indicate any limits with respect to rockered touring boot versus an alpine boot with a walk mode. Am I wrong? E.g., i want to use a La SPortiva Synchro...

    Assuming i am right on the rockered sole - which, upon setup and initial inspection looks to be true. Got the forward pressure indicator looking good,- i have a second questions.

    2. The little metal notches on La SPortiva boots, presumably for that new, other tech binding (from Scarpa?) are cutting into the towers on the heel of the look Dual. Any harm in grinding those down a bit? i don't intend to buy that binding anytime soon.
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    西 雅 圖
    Posts
    4,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirotica View Post
    Am I wrong? E.g., i want to use a La SPortiva Synchro...
    You are wrong. The Synchro has a full ISO 9523 sole (no smooth AFD plate) and is not compatible with a Look Dual WTR toe. The approved soles are ISO 9523, GripWalk, and WTR.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skirotica View Post
    2. The little metal notches on La SPortiva boots, presumably for that new, other tech binding (from Scarpa?) are cutting into the towers on the heel of the look Dual. Any harm in grinding those down a bit? i don't intend to buy that binding anytime soon.
    No clue, we've never sold a Trab TR2-compatible boot, but as I mentioned none of them (only a few Scarpas and La Sportivas qualify) are compatible with any existing Look Pivot models anyway. Should you go ahead and grind them down, and ignore the binding manufacturer's compatibility guidelines re: ISO 9523 soles? Totally your call, but don't ask a shop to mount or adjust them.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,243
    Well shit. So i am back to square one again... shopping for a new boot. Fuck. Guess better to learn now than to lose a leg.
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    西 雅 圖
    Posts
    4,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirotica View Post
    Well shit. So i am back to square one again... shopping for a new boot. Fuck. Guess better to learn now than to lose a leg.
    If you love the boot and don't need a DIN higher than 13, I'd suggest a Warden 13.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,243
    It's the bindings. I'm trying to make use of holes in a much loved ski. I'm normally all dynafit. But wanted to add a Alpine binding back to my quiver.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TGR Forums mobile app
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    4,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirotica View Post
    It's the bindings. I'm trying to make use of holes in a much loved ski. I'm normally all dynafit. But wanted to add a Alpine binding back to my quiver.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TGR Forums mobile app
    I say plug them and drill ;-)

    I just looked up an overlay drawing I did a month ago: Pivots vs. Wardens. The two rear toe holes (closest to the heel) are almost overlapping each other. I'd adjust the mount by about 5-7mm, plug the Look holes with a mixture of chopped up fiberglass and epoxy and call it good to go. Of course, there's no heel hole proximity/overlap issue between Pivots and any Salomons, Tyrolias, etc.

    For extra insurance, you could helicoil those two pairs of holes.

    About the only concern would be if you decide to put the skis on gear swap. Every extra set of holes knocks down the price.

    Boots you bond with are hard to find. Greg's advice of Wardens (or alternatively Tyrolia's AAAtacks AT version) is your ideal solution in an imperfect world. Maybe there's no hole overlap with the Tyrolia's.

    ... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-14-2017 at 03:59 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,243
    Yup. And they were bought drilled for Dukes. I had beasts on them. But I sold the beasts. Didn't want to drill for radicals. I don't think another pair of bindings are an option. I think it's either Alpine/WTR boots or retire the skis.

    For the record, the skis have more aftermarket ptex than original...

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TGR Forums mobile app
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    4,408
    Is English your first language? Unless I'm missing something, you're making zero sense.

    You have two sets of holes already (Dukes, Beasts), and the Looks (as yet undrilled) would make three.

    How many of the existing holes can you actually reuse (to mount the Looks) while at the same time maintaining the mount point within a cm of where you want?

    Why not post a trade offer for your Looks on gear swap (or just sell them outright) and get a pair of Wardens for the third set of holes?

    This is quickly looking like one of those "tell me what I want to hear and don't confuse me with the facts" type of requests for "advice".

    ... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-14-2017 at 01:49 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,243
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

    This is quickly looking like one of those "tell me what I want to hear and don't confuse me with the facts" type of requests for "advice".

    ... Thom
    Except that it was resolved after the very first response with GregL. I guess you just needed to step in and tell everyone how smart you are. Thanks for that. Was my English good enough for you?
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •