Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Thread: cool homes

A close friend is looking hard in the Sonoma CA market, Boulder seems in line with that.

Trying to talk sense with him, I sent some listings from Paonia CO, which seems like a bargain for a nice small town.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    2.5 mil!? Fuck that shit. And you bought it for 1.2 3 years ago. That's complete horseshit. And spamming this thread with it, too.
    Don't hate the player..

2.5 mil!? Fuck that shit. And you bought it for 1.2 3 years ago. That's complete horseshit. And spamming this thread with it, too.

+1

That place doesn't belong within 50 miles of the "cool homes" thread, even if it wasn't spam.

It looks like the kind of place one of the Jersey Shore cast members lives when they aren't down the shore.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Don't hate the player..
    It's like complaining about being in traffic, when people really ARE traffic. The collection of greedy "players" create the "game." It's all connected and it's fucking criminal.

You got to let go man. Your paradise is still out there, find it and keep your mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Don't hate the player..
    In this case the player has had this on the market effectively since 2019 and started with a list price of almost 3 million....

Hate the game all you want but some players aren't as good at it as others.
    Live Free or Die

While we're on the topic of Boulder, here's an actually cool home there:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...13180999_zpid/

No, just expensive

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    No, just expensive
    Hey, it's not perfect, but the pictures make it look like the outside blends with the inside, which is what is cool to me. And the fact that I used to run by it on my way up to the flatirons from where I used to live.

Flat green roof, I'd rather light my money on fire.

Wish I could swing this right now:
    https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...78562101_zpid/

Pretty much exactly what we would want for a retirement place. Hopefully it will be available in 15 years after the kid has gone through college. Although with this property, you could just say fuck it and run it as a BnB while living in the guest cottage.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Quote Originally Posted by LegoSkier View Post

Pretty much exactly what we would want for a retirement place. Hopefully it will be available in 15 years after the kid has gone through college. Although with this property, you could just say fuck it and run it as a BnB while living in the guest cottage.
    If your kid is anything like I was (am), good luck keeping them off the roof

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Boulder real estate blows my freaking mind. 2.5 mill for a 1968 tract home with some trendy colors and good appliances. Get that paper and all but damn, that is nuts.
    it blows my mind too, and I live here! FWIW, though, just because it was listed at 2.5 doesn't mean it sells at 2.5. And what the listing may not convey well is the particulars of the location. The location tells me that no, it's not a tract home and was probably individually designed (whether designed well or not is not for me to say). And it is in a pretty unique location (that again, is hard to tell from the listing); in the middle of town, just north of downtown, is a ridge, and at the eastern edge of the ridge things drop off a bit on all sides. So this is above everything in a way that the satellite view can't show, on a quiet non-through street, with (according to ski-wpk) views. All while being walking distance to every possible amenity. In a town where the cheapest SFRs are 3br 1ba, 1000sf ranches in student neighborhoods selling for $600k.

It's a really nice home. But I do agree that it is not really up to snuff when it comes to this thread.

I assume it was gutted and remodeled. And I do think it is quite overpriced (as does Mr. Market). It's weird, though, why would you pull the listing in January and not list again till October, after the main selling season? Anyway, I wouldn't really take it as spamming, I don't think there are any buyers in this thread.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Hey, it's not perfect, but the pictures make it look like the outside blends with the inside, which is what is cool to me. And the fact that I used to run by it on my way up to the flatirons from where I used to live.
    the location is insane, too. it may not rank with the coolest in this thread, but it is not "just expensive".
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by LegoSkier View Post

Ooh, that is very cool! Looks hard to heat though.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    the location is insane, too. it may not rank with the coolest in this thread, but it is not "just expensive".
    That house is trying to pull off 3 distinct colorways and architectural styles and failing. Good idea, bad execution.

I'm not sure where that advice gets you unless it doesn't matter where in the country (or world) you want to live. If I wanted to live in Detroit and a few other spots I could buy a real FLW house or something else extremely cool for less than the equity in my existing house. I don't and feel that thinking about what the same house costs you in an undesirable market when you need or want to live in the more expensive one only makes you bummed.

And yes to south facing. Also a very good idea in SEA.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    My father had the best advice when looking for a house, take that same home and drop it in Lincoln, NE or what ever other place bores the shit out of you, now what you spend? That and buy a south facing home in CO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    That and buy a south facing home in CO.
    Where were you when I could have used that advice 15 years ago???

Yeah, I have a north facing home, and what's worse, our driveway and the curb is kind of in a low spot cul-de-sac-y thing, and the snow melts and pools there and re-freezes. Sometimes have a skating rink out front for a couple of months, it sucks.

Although honestly, even had I known, I still would have bought this house based on what was available at the time I was buying.

Spamming, price, or location aside; I appreciate a MCM home. Most have been gutted and updated with shitty, in-correct modern trim. Or worse, just whatever fixtures were available. I'm glad some are at least trying to recapture the original vibe. We bought a late MCM and while some of it remains correct, there is still much we are trying to change; all interior doors, the front door, fencing, garage door, and so on... it's an on-going project.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I'm not sure where that advice gets you unless it doesn't matter where in the country (or world) you want to live.
    I see the point a bit. I bought my (one and only) house pretty much based on location alone- we have a view, I ride to work, have amenities close by etc. But the house was not that great in 1904, and any improvements were out of necessity and if anything went down in grade. I certainly would not even look at this house in another town- my college rental was almost as nice. A reno to the level the location would command is probably out of my reach at this point. Now that I work from home and the city decided to allow a homeless camp in the park outside my front door, I am starting to regret not getting the steam shower.
    Last edited by Garbowski; 10-23-2020 at 01:16 PM.

cool homes

Mixed reactions to my MCM! It may not be everyone’s bag but I love it - lots of sweat and tears in that place. Bought it a few years ago from the original owners - it was challenging (and costly) but also fun bringing it back to life.

way nicer than that multimillion pos

Quote Originally Posted by ski-wpk View Post
    Mixed reactions to my MCM! It may not be everyone’s bag but I love it - lots of sweat and tears in that place. Bought it a few years ago from the original owners - it was challenging (and costly) but also fun bringing it back to life.
    I wouldn’t raise small children in it but I liked it. Indeed it looks like a lot of work went into it. Good luck with the sale.

The place looks nice and pretty cool and you can see a lot went into it. I think people are choking a little on $2.5mm for a 3,200 sq. ft house on a quarter-acre lot. I wouldn't buy it myself but the zillow listing has been up for a day and it has nearly 1,000 views already, it'll sell at some price, it may be this one.

Can you call something built in 1968 MCM? I dunno to me that pretty much ends by 1960

I'd be happy to live there. Trade for a home in the Park East neighborhood?