Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18
Results 426 to 436 of 436

Thread: cool homes

  1. #426
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,953
    Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Skylights or greenhouse type spaces can work fine, but they do require specific attention to spec & detailing
    trite eames quote seems appropriate "the details are not the details. They make the design".

    some insomniac browsing lead me to this firm in Norway which has done some cool cabins/homes
    http://www.reiulframstadarchitects.c...mountain-lodge
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-asset.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	363.8 KB 
ID:	290417
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-asset.jpeg 
Views:	46 
Size:	706.5 KB 
ID:	290418
    also did this smaller place
    https://www.dezeen.com/2014/10/13/mi...itects-norway/
    Name:  Micro_Cluster_Cabins_Reiulf_Ramstad_Architects_dezeen_468_1.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  134.3 KB

  2. #427
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    11,816
    Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    trite eames quote seems appropriate "the details are not the details. They make the design".

    some insomniac browsing lead me to this firm in Norway which has done some cool cabins/homes
    http://www.reiulframstadarchitects.c...mountain-lodge
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-asset.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	363.8 KB 
ID:	290417
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-asset.jpeg 
Views:	46 
Size:	706.5 KB 
ID:	290418
    also did this smaller place
    https://www.dezeen.com/2014/10/13/mi...itects-norway/
    Name:  Micro_Cluster_Cabins_Reiulf_Ramstad_Architects_dezeen_468_1.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  134.3 KB

    one thing that comes up for me seeing these great modernist homes abroad is the complicity of the GC's in understanding the level of finish

    for me to show a photo like that locally and ask a GC to then price out the bid set is to ask for a quadrupling of labor costs

    No doubt these are high end structures (ie, pricy), but it seems like there is a more simpatico level of expectation abroad for this kind of anal detailing




    an instagram feed i love, for those on IG, is "The Local Project". It has so many gorgeous homes, I just can't believe they're all just in AU.
    https://www.instagram.com/thelocalproject/
    https://thelocalproject.com.au/

  3. #428
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hugh's Mom's House
    Posts
    11,828
    I think four times the labor for that ceiling as compared to a regular sheetrock ceiling is perfectly legit. And it is more highly skilled labor, too.

  4. #429
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    11,816
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I think four times the labor for that ceiling as compared to a regular sheetrock ceiling is perfectly legit. And it is more highly skilled labor, too.
    Agreed, more skilled effort required

    I guess my comment was more of an extra bump beyond actual skilled trade costs because itís so out of their world of what they typically do. Whereas it seems abroad like a finish carpenter is more likely to be exposed to this kind of work and may not add the freak out factor

    Of course, maybe thatís how it gets done there too...just looks so easy in photos

  5. #430
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bottom feeding
    Posts
    7,122
    I keep looking at those roof valleys and see snow sitting there, freezing and thawing and ruining the roof.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

  6. #431
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    11,816
    Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I keep looking at those roof valleys and see snow sitting there, freezing and thawing and ruining the roof.
    likely it's a exterior insulation so all thermal cycling is outside the water barrier
    just have to worry about physical pushing of freeze/thaw cycle on materials in that case or total snow load

  7. #432
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    tetons
    Posts
    6,666
    I like this home a lot. and so affordable
    https://www.curbed.com/2019/9/5/2085...edward-humrich
    skid luxury

  8. #433
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    none
    Posts
    6,303
    Neat house, but itís a two bedroom and Illinois has an incredibly high tax burden.
    Everyone that can afford it has already left the state, or will shortly after Jayís tax plan takes effect.

  9. #434
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    tetons
    Posts
    6,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Neat house, but it’s a two bedroom and Illinois has an incredibly high tax burden.
    Everyone that can afford it has already left the state, or will shortly after Jay’s tax plan takes effect.
    ya I don't think I'm moving to Indiana from Jackson anytime soon but I posted it bc it's a cool house.
    skid luxury

  10. #435
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Shadynasty's Jazz Club
    Posts
    8,254
    I hope the designers of these super windowy houses were thoughtful enough to include a windowless masterbatorium.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

  11. #436
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    46,934
    Will this work?


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •