Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: cool homes

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Multiglisse View Post
    Great thread, just stumbled on it. The Iceman houses are very nice but a little big.
    Fair enough, but the first one is 4130 sq. ft above ground, not small but not giant at least by current American standards. It was built to raise kids and dogs in and now that the kids are gone there's no doubt it's too big for us. Tried to sell it last year in a flat market, we'll try again soonish.

The second one is 2515 sq. ft. above ground. Actually a little under the average size of new US home construction. Both houses are built into hills to get usable space out of the lower level so they seem a bit bigger than they are.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Fair, but the first one is 4130 sq. ft above ground, not small but not giant at least by current American standards. It was built to raise kids and dogs in and now that the kids are gone there's no doubt it's too big for us. Tried to sell it last year in a flat market, we'll try again soonish.

The second one is 2515 sq. ft. above ground. Actually a little under average size of new US home construction. Both are built into hills to get usable space out of the lower level so they seem a bit bigger than they are.
    Yeah, I get it, if you can afford it, why not go for the square footage that makes sense and fits your needs at the time. But in the end, make it the size that works for you. I love the look of your first house but would be lost in it. If I were to build the house I posted, I'd definitely need a basement and perhaps an outbuilding or two.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

I kinda think a place selling itself as all eco-friendly and cool and urging people to "reuse and recycle" should pay a little attention to design that makes things last longer, just as a branding consistency thing.

curious the fire risk to that Mazama design.

cool homes

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    I like the clean look, but no roof overhangs? Not gonna last.
    Ha! Check out the combo skylight to window at the eave in the unit beyond...
    Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post

@ Mr. Multiglisse: I don't mean to be defensive, the houses were thought about, hard, and came out great. Could they have been smaller? Absolutely. Could they have been twice the size? Also, absolutely. I started thinking about that first house 25 years ago, I'm cool with it. I want to sell it but it's been good. The new house I'm totally digging, come visit.

Ha! Check out the combo skylight to window at the eave in the unit beyond...
    wtf is going on there?

even without the longevity issues, there's another funny practicality issue, note window covered with snow and ice
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	horizon123_hero6.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	741.2 KB 
ID:	290351
    but it looks great in the rendering......

So, we have this oceanfront beach property, it was my Grandfther's place, he had 3 houses blown down by hurricanes on that property before he gave up. It's pretty incredible where it is. Direct oceanfront. Because of changes in the laws, it's basically unbuildable now. In that you can't get a building permit. but, you can build anyhing tht doesn't require a permit. Town bylaws say 12' or more in any dimension (not diagonal) requires a permit.

So. we can build a beach shack that's 11'11" by 11'11". We're gonna build something, we're thinking about it. It's possible we could build a couple of structures of the same size and still sneak by the laws, but we're pretty committed to minimizing this.

No need for a bathroom, there's no water. 4WD Honey truck comes down the sand road once a week, you shit in a porta potty if you gotta shit all that bad. So we'll need a little shitter enclosure up by the road. Least of my concerns.

Full straight ocean view out the front, cool marsh view out the back, shitty old houses pretty close on both sides. Gotta keep in mind a hurricane could blow it down any time and insurance won't be a thing.

Let's see some ideas for this (slightly less than) 144 sq. ft. structure

Or possibly two similar structures.

One recurring idea has been a yurt. Build a platform, basically. Put a yurt on it.

I dig that site, thanks.

cool homes

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    even without the longevity issues, there's another funny practicality issue, note window covered with snow and ice

Name:	horizon123_hero6.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	741.2 KB 
ID:	290351
    but it looks great in the rendering......
    Skylights or greenhouse type spaces can work fine, but they do require specific attention to spec & detailing
    Last edited by acinpdx; 08-05-2019 at 09:22 PM.

I was hoping for sketchy shaky drawings with arrows and shit.

Name:	IMG_3517.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	458.1 KB 
ID:	290359

I dig the look and get the benefits, consider it done (if we ever do it).

Probably could change the fireplace to a cooking grill but it would work great as a garden folly slash shelter

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

curious the fire risk to that Mazama design.
    Serious question, how so? Seems pretty good, metal siding, prolly non-combustible roof, etc. could use more defendable space, (which I think doesn’t matter much, BTW), but that’s not a part of the design really.
    It seems like all the new houses there are some version of that design.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    @ Mr. Multiglisse: I don't mean to be defensive, the houses were thought about, hard, and came out great. Could they have been smaller? Absolutely. Could they have been twice the size? Also, absolutely. I started thinking about that first house 25 years ago, I'm cool with it. I want to sell it but it's been good. The new house I'm totally digging, come visit.
    No need to be defensive, I am honestly a bit jealous of the opportunity and resources you have to build your vision. Both houses are stunning and beautifully executed, and the look of the Darnesville house is especially appealing to my sensibilities. I guess my point is that my vision would simply be smaller, as two bedrooms, and office and an open kitchen/dining/living area, all on one level, is the starting point.

Thanks for the invite, my wife's brother lives in Chatham, MA, so you never know. Watch for a rusty Subaru from Canada.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Skylights or greenhouse type spaces can work fine, but they do require specific attention to spec & detailing
    trite eames quote seems appropriate "the details are not the details. They make the design".

some insomniac browsing lead me to this firm in Norway which has done some cool cabins/homes
    http://www.reiulframstadarchitects.c...mountain-lodge

Name:	image-asset.jpeg 
Views:	68 
Size:	363.8 KB 
ID:	290417

Size:	706.5 KB 
ID:	290418
    also did this smaller place
    https://www.dezeen.com/2014/10/13/mi...itects-norway/
    Name:  Micro_Cluster_Cabins_Reiulf_Ramstad_Architects_dezeen_468_1.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  134.3 KB

trite eames quote seems appropriate "the details are not the details. They make the design".

some insomniac browsing lead me to this firm in Norway which has done some cool cabins/homes
    http://www.reiulframstadarchitects.c...mountain-lodge

Size:	363.8 KB 
ID:	290417

Size:	706.5 KB 
ID:	290418
    also did this smaller place
    https://www.dezeen.com/2014/10/13/mi...itects-norway/
    Name:  Micro_Cluster_Cabins_Reiulf_Ramstad_Architects_dezeen_468_1.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  134.3 KB

one thing that comes up for me seeing these great modernist homes abroad is the complicity of the GC's in understanding the level of finish

for me to show a photo like that locally and ask a GC to then price out the bid set is to ask for a quadrupling of labor costs

No doubt these are high end structures (ie, pricy), but it seems like there is a more simpatico level of expectation abroad for this kind of anal detailing

an instagram feed i love, for those on IG, is "The Local Project". It has so many gorgeous homes, I just can't believe they're all just in AU.
    https://www.instagram.com/thelocalproject/
    https://thelocalproject.com.au/

I think four times the labor for that ceiling as compared to a regular sheetrock ceiling is perfectly legit. And it is more highly skilled labor, too.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I think four times the labor for that ceiling as compared to a regular sheetrock ceiling is perfectly legit. And it is more highly skilled labor, too.
    Agreed, more skilled effort required

I guess my comment was more of an extra bump beyond actual skilled trade costs because it’s so out of their world of what they typically do. Whereas it seems abroad like a finish carpenter is more likely to be exposed to this kind of work and may not add the freak out factor

Of course, maybe that’s how it gets done there too...just looks so easy in photos

I keep looking at those roof valleys and see snow sitting there, freezing and thawing and ruining the roof.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I keep looking at those roof valleys and see snow sitting there, freezing and thawing and ruining the roof.
    likely it's a exterior insulation so all thermal cycling is outside the water barrier
    just have to worry about physical pushing of freeze/thaw cycle on materials in that case or total snow load

I like this home a lot. and so affordable
    https://www.curbed.com/2019/9/5/2085...edward-humrich
    skid luxury

Neat house, but it’s a two bedroom and Illinois has an incredibly high tax burden.
    Everyone that can afford it has already left the state, or will shortly after Jay’s tax plan takes effect.