Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast

Thread: cool homes

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Ever since I was a little kid I've been kinda sketched out by gas stoves because a little girl a year younger than me in our neighborhood lit her nightgown on fire reaching over the stove to get something and was horribly burned, it was a miracle she even lived but it's been a tough life for her the whole way, she's still obviously a burn victim over 50 years later. Gas torches and stuff don't bother me a bit but I guess I had gas stoves=danger beaten into my head by my parents and at school.

Which is a long way of saying induction rocks. Big fan. Fuck gas.
    I've said this before in the home remodel thread, but I see us putting a (nice) gas stove into our new place as a compromise because running 220 to our kitchen would be cost prohibitive. Would much rather have induction, but I guess gas will have to do.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

I mean, they cook well and they can be affordable, and I've used them plenty without incident. It's just a prejudice I have, do what you gotta do.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Ever since I was a little kid I've been kinda sketched out by gas stoves because a little girl a year younger than me in our neighborhood lit her nightgown on fire reaching over the stove to get something and was horribly burned, it was a miracle she even lived but it's been a tough life for her the whole way, she's still obviously a burn victim over 50 years later. Gas torches and stuff don't bother me a bit but I guess I had gas stoves=danger beaten into my head by my parents and at school.

Which is a long way of saying induction rocks. Big fan. Fuck gas.

beats my “girl who singed her eyebrows lighting a cigarette from a frat house stove drunk” story

back to cool: the hanging fireplace and the pool are nice, the whole not quite perfect

https://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/s...-dully-vd-1195

I like vinyl flooring for the kitchen and entry ways.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    beats my “girl who singed her eyebrows lighting a cigarette from a frat house stove drunk” story

back to cool: the hanging fireplace and the pool are nice, the whole not quite perfect

https://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/s...-dully-vd-1195
    Those suspended fireplaces are uber cool. Saw one in a contemporary home and it was jaw-dropping, focus of the entire home, the complete suspended assembly allowed for 360 deg rotation.

European sourced, links, ... great pictures:
    https://europeanhome.com/suspended-modern-fireplaces/
    https://www.focus-fireplaces.com/
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

How do you clean the thing out without getting ashes absolutely everywhere?
    Monster shop-vac?
    I guess that’s a problem for ‘the help’
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    I love how zillow gives you "financing" options for that one.

I wooden’t buy it.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

They had one Canadian come stay and now they claim “visitors from around the world.”

I was reading a long article in the New Yorker about Richard Neutra LA area mid-century modern houses. Going for 8 figures but a lot of them are too small for the kind of people who pay that much for a house so they wind up as guest houses next to much bigger McMansions are with bad add ons bigger than the original house.
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-vanishing-act

Good article. Around 1990 I was working for a commercial director who had me chase the homeless squatters out of the Neutra that he was going to tear down in the Santa Monica mountains. I guess it wasn't truly considered a Neutra because it was one of his remodels, but it still felt like bad juju.

A lot of these places are hammered. Even though he was an engineer, his designs (though he wasn't the only one) were way ahead of the engineering and materials of the time. The people that lived in them didn't have the means to keep up on them, or were afraid of any alterations that might detract from the original design. Their conditions can greatly complicate the present situation.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    I’ve been here- a buddy of mine almost bought it. The property is fucking RAD. That main “treehouse” is pretty cool, and there are other small cabins on the land. The castle turret/lookout tower was my favorite, and if you’re into disc golf it’s a paradise.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

Somewhere in the People’s Republic of Boulder…
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A02832C8-5961-49CC-9236-4B711B51E0F3.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	510.9 KB 
ID:	391831
    https://www.archdaily.com/971331/goa...nee-del-gaudio

Nice looking house, in the hills just outside town. I have never seen it, but it is just off a popular gravel loop from town.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

The simple, open floor plan allows for natural ventilation, abundant daylighting, and passive solar heating. Floor-to-ceiling casement windows eliminate the need for mechanical cooling. A radiant concrete slab and wood-burning stove efficiently heat the home. Continuous exterior insulation with a built-in rigid air barrier wraps the walls and roof framing to create an air-tight building envelope.

Closed-cell foam insulation and recycled blown-in cellulose in the walls and roof exceed building code efficiency standards. The home is net-zero electric, operating with a 4kW photovoltaic array located on the roof. High-efficiency electric appliances, 100% LED lighting on dimmers, and abundant natural light minimize electric consumption. The carport is wired with an electric vehicle charging outlet.
    I would love to know how well the heating and insulation work. My first thought when looking at that photo is must be cold when the air temps are low.

Super cool to read about all the thought put into making the house fire resistnant. I have no idea if those same measures affect livability within the conditioned space but it's interesting to read about.

Nice house, old man in me likes the covered joist parts better than th3 open joist affectation

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Very nice.

I can't see any blinds or shades on the windows but I suspect they are there somewhere.

This image says walls R23 add roof R54: Gallery of Goatbarn Lane / Renée del Gaudio - 19 (archdaily.com)
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Somewhere in the People’s Republic of Boulder…
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A02832C8-5961-49CC-9236-4B711B51E0F3.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	510.9 KB 
ID:	391831
    https://www.archdaily.com/971331/goa...nee-del-gaudio
    Cool house. For no good reason, I find the length of that pipe chimney unsettling. Like seeing a human being with a neck 2x longer than it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    Cool house. For no good reason, I find the length of that pipe chimney unsettling. Like seeing a human being with a neck 2x longer than it should be.
    I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out, but yeah.
    Re the exposed joists, they add a woody touch to an otherwise too white and glassy vibe. But I am biased, we have exposed roof rafters.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    Our is 18 feet tall. Works great, radiates lot of heat.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

R-23 walls aren't compliant with our energy code here.

Also, interior stovepipe should be of the double-wall variety for draft and chimney cleanliness. If the radiant heat off of your single wall stove pipe contributes in any meaningful way to the heating of your home, you have an undersized woodstove. The stove is the heater, not the pipe. JFC.

ETA: yes, it is double wall in the house.

This one's downright affordable, as these things go:
    https://www.redfin.com/WA/Bellingham.../home/15836709

Name:  Cove.JPG
Views: 468
Size:  181.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    This one's downright affordable, as these things go:
    https://www.redfin.com/WA/Bellingham.../home/15836709

Name:  Cove.JPG
Views: 468
Size:  181.5 KB
    Last sale price in 2011 was 850k. Just wow.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

cool homes

Prolly a tear down or seed shack for what’s there now