Views:	94 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	345262

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GBA-GH-A-Edmund_Sumner-0085A.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	772.4 KB 
ID:	345263

that looks like something from the Grand Designs show.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Those curved beams are amazing, do you have any idea how they did that? Other than by applying copious amounts of funds, that is.

I would loft the lines like building a boat and do full scale layout.

Last time I did that was framing a groin vault ceiling in a church.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Those curved beams are amazing, do you have any idea how they did that? Other than by applying copious amounts of funds, that is.
    It looks like CLT, cross laminated timbers, which are an engineered wood product. So, likely a digital model for both engineering design and for driving a CAM device to cut each piece precisely, which are delivered to the site & erected. [likely quadrants are assembled offsite, whatever size fits on a truck & can be craned into place]

pretty nicely done without visible fasteners or plates

Looks like glulams, CLT is a sheet good, basically like giant plywood in sizes to about 8’x60’x 3 1/2”-12” thick

The framing contractor put his kids through college on that one.
    Live Free or Die

The trouble with wow look at this stuff in a house is that after a couple of months when you stop paying attention to it you don't get the money back. Unless you entertain a lot of different people and the point is to impress them. If that's you then I guess it's worth it.
    I am impressed though, although that couch doesn't look comfortable to nap on.
    And the view sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsmith View Post
    Looks like glulams, CLT is a sheet good, basically like giant plywood in sizes to about 8’x60’x 3 1/2”-12” thick
    Either way, beams that size that are curved in two dimensions is pretty wild given the apparent precision of the end product.

I went down the rabbit hole on this and found something fascinating. I was assuming that something like this would require enormous, very precise jigs, with one jig for each distinct beam shape, but apparently the guys linked below are making curved CLT just by manipulating the wood's moisture content before layup. Of course, I don't know if that was the process for the structure above, but it's pretty amazing that this is possible.

http://www.achimmenges.net/?p=21454

In timber construction, moisture typically causes problems with cracking and deformation; hence, moisture changes and stress development must be carefully controlled. In contrast, in this project wood is programed and arranged in a way to utilize this powerful, naturally occurring deformation to trigger a designed self-shaping behavior. In the same way that machines can be programmed to perform different movements, wood parts can be programmed to transform into predetermined shapes when dried.

Ha I've been in that section at EMPA. That is very cool stuff though, I'm a bit skeptical but maybe it works? Seems like it would have to be a low volume process.

That twist tower is pretty remarkable

Either way, beams that size that are curved in two dimensions is pretty wild given the apparent precision of the end product.

I went down the rabbit hole on this and found something fascinating. I was assuming that something like this would require enormous, very precise jigs, with one jig for each distinct beam shape, but apparently the guys linked below are making curved CLT just by manipulating the wood's moisture content before layup. Of course, I don't know if that was the process for the structure above, but it's pretty amazing that this is possible.

http://www.achimmenges.net/?p=21454

In timber construction, moisture typically causes problems with cracking and deformation; hence, moisture changes and stress development must be carefully controlled. In contrast, in this project wood is programed and arranged in a way to utilize this powerful, naturally occurring deformation to trigger a designed self-shaping behavior. In the same way that machines can be programmed to perform different movements, wood parts can be programmed to transform into predetermined shapes when dried.
    Flipcore!

another CLT roof
    maybe not as elegant in the detailing

I can't figure why someone would choose to spend that much money there. I mean, it looks cool. And?

The engineer that designed that said “of course I’ll stand behind my work, just not under it”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I can't figure why someone would choose to spend that much money there. I mean, it looks cool. And?
    Maybe sound deadening? But there are cheaper ways to do that.

Cool trick shots when they switch to racquetball rules would be my guess.

to put it simply
    Euros value design more than Americans

the Swiss in particular have a very strong aesthetic that holds craft to be more than just a commodity trade
    (that project is in CH)

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    It looks like CLT, cross laminated timbers, which are an engineered wood product. So, likely a digital model for both engineering design and for driving a CAM device to cut each piece precisely, which are delivered to the site & erected. [likely quadrants are assembled offsite, whatever size fits on a truck & can be craned into place]

pretty nicely done without visible fasteners or plates
    the architects website has a few pictures
    Name:  house-in-a-garden-glulam-structure-prefabrication-02_small_slide.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  45.4 KB
    Name:  house-in-a-garden-glulam-structure-prefabrication-05_small_slide.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  61.6 KB

that make it look like it was constructed at someone’s shop w/hand molds (does glu-lam = clt?) then dismantled and put in location. Eeesh though, an 11 year project? In Notting Hill, London? ££££££

I have to admit I didn’t look into it too much. Just found the images and read the short blurb
    Pretty interesting if it was done by hand

to put it simply
    Euros value design more than Americans
    I've spent a lot of money on design and craftsmanship and I value them highly. I still wouldn't build that. Maybe that's just me, that's okay.

I have to admit I didn’t look into it too much. Just found the images and read the short blurb
    Definitely handwork. Both of those. A lot of steam bending in the first, a shitload of cutting and nailing (or however the cross pieces are attached) in the second. The second one at least would most likely be produced in panel form in a production environment so it would go faster.

But you don't look up much while playing tennis.

I’m pro lob, I’d have a tough time operating on that court, a bit uh distractingly trippy

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Clearly the playgrounds of Big Waffle.

I was curious at went down a web rabbit hole. the people who did the roof are a big German firm - Zueblin (billions in revenue, do huge free form concrete stuff) so yer probably right it’s computerized. It’s for sale - £6 million. In, uh, less artsy photos the copper is a bit much
    https://www.zoopla.co.uk/new-homes/d...6bee89d6cc19ea