Patagonia Nano Air vs Nano Puff

I’ve had and liked a nano puff for several years now. I think I’ve packed out a lot of the puff and am due for a new one.

Can anyone compare the new Air vs the regular puff? I know the Air is supposed to be super breathable. Not sure if I need that. I do wear my puff under a stingray shell when skiing and it can get a little clammy, but I don’t think I ski enough to make that a major consideration.

Also looking for a new vest, so that’s a consideration as well.

Trying to take advantage of the REI sale.

Air more breathable not as wind resistant

Pata has sale on Air - $99

I have both, and much prefer the air to the puff. Much more breathable, especially under a shell. I think it is warmer as well. Down side is the outer fabric is much easier to tear on then air, and much more susceptible to abrasion. Do not ski trees with it, and least not without a shell, but that is not really want it is meant for. I love it for alpine climbs, and skin tracks, but throw a shell over it for the descent. As noted, it doesn't do well in high winds, but I am usually putting on a shell if it is that windy.

Over all the nano puff has become my least used layer, I am either in a down sweater or nano-air these days.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

How does the Air compare to other pieces like: Arc Atom LT, Black Diamond Access Hybrid, Rab Strata?

check this: http://coldthistle.blogspot.ch/2014/...x-atom-lt.html
    I feel mostly the same but don't have as much in depth comparison as my atom is more of a every day around town jacket and the nano air sees all the climbing and mountaineering. But this is more to preferences in how I show up in the office than due to the differences in performance.

Because of the fit and because I love the cuffs (most people don't) I would go Atom the next time. In my eye the main difference is that the atom lets the wind in through the sides but not on the front whereas the air is less but still wind-permeable everywhere. Depends on your activity wich is better. For biking to work the atom suits me perfect. When hanging on a belay I'm happy to not have the wind-exposed sides and like the nano air.

Nano air is killer for cold skins and exposed booters. Consider the "light" version if using really actively -- comes in 1/2 zip and feels like an active top.

Quote Originally Posted by skibee123 View Post
    Nano air is killer for cold skins and exposed booters. Consider the "light" version if using really actively -- comes in 1/2 zip and feels like an active top.
    What type of layers did you used to use?

What does it provide that a stretch-woven softshell with a suitable (temperature-appropriate) baselayer does not?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post

What does it provide that a stretch-woven softshell with a suitable (temperature-appropriate) baselayer does not?
    I’m curious also. This recent hype (social media has me profiled as likely purchaser) about active insulation seems a desperate move by companies trying to sell us a slightly different way to do the same thing (as a lined windshirt, as a soft shell) but with zero evidence of any benefit. The nano air sure feels comfy and looks sorta stylish, but where are the critical comparisons?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post

I sometimes skin in a Nano air w/ a lightweight wool or capilene underneath. I prefer this setup on cold clear days with minimal wind to the baselayer / stretch woven softshell. The air is plenty breathable with no other layers for skinning at a moderate pace. And unlike a softshell/baselayer, I'm more comfortable when paused for discussing routes/snow, doing a hand sheer, digging a quick pit, waiting on a partner etc.

Of course, all this depends on temp, wind, how hot an individual runs, and how fast their skinning.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I sometimes skin in a Nano air w/ a lightweight wool or capilene underneath. I prefer this setup on cold clear days with minimal wind to the baselayer / stretch woven softshell. The air is plenty breathable with no other layers for skinning at a moderate pace. And unlike a softshell/baselayer, I'm more comfortable when paused for discussing routes/snow, doing a hand sheer, digging a quick pit, waiting on a partner etc.

Of course, all this depends on temp, wind, how hot an individual runs, and how fast their skinning.
    This.

The put it on, leave it on all day concept seems to work pretty well.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Nano Air light is a seriously amazing layer. Dave Chenault wrote a great review of it, not a fluff piece, but an actual hard use with some science sprinkled in review at Bedrock & Paradox. I gotta echo his thoughts in regards to it being one of the best things Patagucci has ever made, it is just so damn perfect in so many regards. Nano-Air is also a good piece, but not as breathable, and tries too hard to ride the line between warmth and breathability without doing either one all that well.

I have both (Nano Puff pullover and Nano Air jacket). Air is more breathable, wider temp range, generally more versatile. Makes a great townie jacket as well. Puff is lighter, packs smaller, better wind resistance. For touring I'll use the Air when it's cold enough that I want something other than a base layer for the up. For warmer days I'll pack the Puff for the way down. Used to use the Puff as a mid layer on cold resort days (instead of R1 or equivalent) but now that's been replaced by the Air.

Also fit is different - Puff is more boxy, Air more tapered/slim. I wear M for most Patagucci (including the Air) but got the Puff in S.

You find the Air warmer under a shell on cold ass resort days?

Yeah, though my Puff is a few years old so maybe not a fair comparison. Also less clammy/wet.

Ok, so I actually got my hands on these today...not that anyone cares.

Granted I wasn’t wearing the shirt I’d normally be wearing under these jackets, but one thing that was obvious, (which I read in one of the reviews) is that the Nano Air is definitely “sticky” at least with the shirt I had on. The fit is definitely slim, slimmer than the Nano I’ve worn for years. I’d need to size up to XL. (5’11 208)
    Actually found a Nano Air light, which was surprising for where I live. While I’m sure it’s incredible for high activity situations like mentioned in the great article viglio referenced, for an all around, everything, jacket that I’m looking for, I think it would be to much of a specialty item. If I was willing to buy multiple $200+ garments for multiple activities, it would definitely be one I would get.

I’m thinking my favorite is the Arc Atom, which I hadn’t even considered. Only because I have a NanoPuff and am looking for a replacement. The fit in XL is good, seems comfortable, and I’m thinking the side panels will give me a pretty good compromise in breathability and wind resistance.
    I’ve use the Patagonia Nano under my Stingray for cold ski days and I think what looks like a little extra ventilation with the Atom could be my new go to, light weight, “jacket for everything”.

Sincere thanks for all the references!

The Atom is sick in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by viglio View Post
    Nano Air light is a seriously amazing layer. Dave Chenault wrote a great review of it, not a fluff piece, but an actual hard use with some science sprinkled in review at Bedrock & Paradox. I gotta echo his thoughts in regards to it being one of the best things Patagucci has ever made, it is just so damn perfect in so many regards. Nano-Air is also a good piece, but not as breathable, and tries too hard to ride the line between warmth and breathability without doing either one all that well.
    Thanks for the link, Dave’s blog had fallen off my radar. Has certainly got me curious.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums