Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    Just logging back in after a while:: Something else that occurred to me, was the value of the InReach in making comm's for/on behalf of other people not in your group.
    i.e. - Hey I'm going to be super late due to losing a ski, can you message my friend to let them know I'm ok, I'll just be late - Don't call a rescue for me?
    Or when a samaritan comes across someone who is hurt, not desperately, but needs help getting out - they can deliver a personal message with location data and details, then continue on their way - something less workable with non-two-way device.
    And of course, the 'holy crap' situations you stumble upon, where just pushing SOS fails to truly capture the gravity of the situation. This just happened the other day on a rescue - a samaritan w inReach came by, gave us details which upped the ante considerably, with a good outcome.

I've also had a couple success stories where people I know are going out in an area where someone might be lost - show them a pic of lost person, given them my number, and told them to inReach me if they see them -- and they have!
    Two way comm's have some benefits for others I guess is my point.

In CO all SAR is under the Sheriff (I think by statute?) and sometimes deploying of certain resources (air resources) just requires satisfying a higher standard. It's just an easier sell to those folks if we have more details to articulate the need. Personal experience: bird with a rotor strike on a tree during a mission. Difficult questions were asked. Right or wrong, the details provided by two way comm's absolutely do make a difference in the justification of the resource. Use of air resources is getting much more common, and in large part it's appropriate. But we still do a lot the old fashioned way - which is also appropriate in those cases.

Also, not all air resources are the same: some resources won't deploy unless certain requirements are met (think HAATS). So absent these critical details, that bird doesn't fly regardless of individual agency policy.

I know I'm a inReach fanboy, but they really are the best tool for this purpose imo, overall superior to the others we've tried.
    Still no substitute for preparedness and map-reading and good decision making, but I like to have it in my toolbox.
    Just to add to this, I had a situation recently where having my mini saved a family from a serious headache. Guy twisted his ankle on a big mountain run and was hobbling with a stick toward the trailhead. He was in the middle of some sort of cross mountain ultra where his wife was supposed to pick him at a different trailhead. Instead of being forced to try and hobble out to the nearest trailhead and hitch a ride into service, we just added her number to my phone and used my inreach to text her to come pick him up. Super simple but saved that family such an enormous headache. The mini is just so damn small and useful that I've started bringing it on every adventure that takes me out of service.

As to the mini vs explorer, I have no regrets on getting the mini. It does all I want it to and weighs next to nothing and takes up minimal room in pack or pocket. While the explorer is great if you want the mapping functions it is bigger and bulkier so may get left behind more often...not good when you wish you had it. I carry my mini in a pocket on motorcycle rides and don't even know its there. Should I go off the road and be separated from the bike I have. Same on the trail ideally I carry in a pocket or clipped to my belt so It is with me and not my pack. The mini is beter for this.

On an unrelated note, someone needs to wash the sand out of his/her vag. This is TGR, get used to insults whether they are meant or not, or as they say down under..."harden the fuck up."

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

PSA Saw inreach minis at Costco the other day for $330. Not a huge discount but...

Don't seem to be listed online unfortunately so not sure about regional availability.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

REI has the inreach mini on sale for 250 currently. Ordered, but then saw the spot gen4, which seems to be an even better deal with similar prices. Any thoughts?

Spot and Garmin do not use the same satellite system. Read up on them before choosing one over the other.

Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    REI has the inreach mini on sale for 250 currently. Ordered, but then saw the spot gen4, which seems to be an even better deal with similar prices. Any thoughts?
    Disclosure: I'm an inreach honk.

while that's a good deal on spot4, for my needs/peace of mind? 100% customizable two-way comm's are worth more than any cost savings. Ability to cancel/explain false SOS activation is a good thing, and not all outgoing messages are created equal, nor are they predictable in advance.
    Also I like the garmin app and mapping, connection to phone, and the ability to log in at home and look at all my routes. I like to add waypoints in advance, marking hunting locations, etc.
    Ms MoN likes to know when I'm ripping skins and dropping in, when I'm back on safer terrain, and if I'll be late due to crushing beers back at the truck with the fellas.

In my SAR experience I have never ever had someone say 'wish I got a spot4 instead' ... but I've had an uncountable number of people effectively say 'I woulda give a kidney for 2 way comm's out there.'

Everyone on our team all carries inreach, fwiw. Both personally and on missions.

Even if spot4 was free I would still pay for inreach. But that's just me, ymmv.
    north bound horse.

Disclosure: I'm an inreach honk.

while that's a good deal on spot4, for my needs/peace of mind? 100% customizable two-way comm's are worth more than any cost savings. Ability to cancel/explain false SOS activation is a good thing, and not all outgoing messages are created equal, nor are they predictable in advance.
    Also I like the garmin app and mapping, connection to phone, and the ability to log in at home and look at all my routes. I like to add waypoints in advance, marking hunting locations, etc.
    Ms MoN likes to know when I'm ripping skins and dropping in, when I'm back on safer terrain, and if I'll be late due to crushing beers back at the truck with the fellas.

In my SAR experience I have never ever had someone say 'wish I got a spot4 instead' ... but I've had an uncountable number of people effectively say 'I woulda give a kidney for 2 way comm's out there.'

Everyone on our team all carries inreach, fwiw. Both personally and on missions.

Thanks, very helpfull. I have no cell service where I ski, mtb or even "road" ride (or live for that matter). I'll stick with the in reach so I can atleast message my wife easy.

I second that emotion.

Here's a question some folks here prob know the answer to... My understanding of the 2-way communicators (inreach, zoleo) is that if you push the red SOS button, emergency dispatch will know the type of device and attempt to communicate back in order to get more information. 1) Is that true? 2) Is there a way to proactively send text info (to some 10 digit number presumably) after you hit the red button?

I can certainly imagine a worsening situation where you'd want to get that situational info out ASAP, and not be waiting and checking for a message to then respond to.

I know text-to-911 exists in some areas, but I don't think texting to 911 via a sat device would work since it's not hitting the phone network directly - instead presumably hitting the closest 911 dispatch to the satellite downlink point (which could be 100's of miles away).
    https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-re...-automatically

Would be great if GEOS (which I think receives all the SOS messages) had a number that could receive text (SMS) messages with info to then pass along to the local emergency office. Maybe they do do? Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by m104da View Post
    Here's a question some folks here prob know the answer to... My understanding of the 2-way communicators (inreach, zoleo) is that if you push the red SOS button, emergency dispatch will know the type of device and attempt to communicate back in order to get more information. 1) Is that true? 2) Is there a way to proactively send text info (to some 10 digit number presumably) after you hit the red button?

I can certainly imagine a worsening situation where you'd want to get that situational info out ASAP, and not be waiting and checking for a message to then respond to.

I know text-to-911 exists in some areas, but I don't think texting to 911 via a sat device would work since it's not hitting the phone network directly - instead presumably hitting the closest 911 dispatch to the satellite downlink point (which could be 100's of miles away).

Would be great if GEOS (which I think receives all the SOS messages) had a number that could receive text (SMS) messages with info to then pass along to the local emergency office. Maybe they do do? Thoughts?
    From what I have read they text back through the service and ask about the nature of the emergency before dispatching resources.

I always make sure I have the numbers of local SAR/forest service in my phone (which is connected to our inreach) and put them in an email to my dad. My plan would be to sat message him through the inreach and have him contact the appropriate authorities in a 'non emergency' emergency. He watches all our adventures like a hawk and relays fire/weather info to us as well. Extremely helpful and relieves a ton of anxiety.

For example we hike as a family and move pretty slow. Before crossing the divide this year which was a multi hour deal exposed with zero safe zones during a period of high fire danger and pop up the storms putting us farther from the nearest trailhead I shot a quick message to my dad who gave us the all clear to go.

^^^ That's a good plan with having the local SAR/USFS numbers. I'll do that. And cool that you have a command center. My wife couldn't care less - until it results in me being late for something

- Yes, the inreach dispatch will immediately try to message the device. Unless they immediately confirm it is a false activation, they will also notify the jurisdiction the device is in (any SOS activation is accompanied by coordinates). The process moves pretty fast actually. we will have inreach send along a rescue leaders number, so we can message directly with the device. I don't know that inreach has a contact number you can proactively message with, per se.

- Inreach dispatch will notify your pre-designated emergency contacts that an SOS activation was received. Inreach will also give responding rescuers your emergency contacts information - and yes, we will call them immediately (route plans, who is in the group, med conditions, etc).

Having local SAR numbers on-hand with someone at home is a great idea. in CO, SAR is the duty of the sheriff by statute - so that would be the number you'd want, for whatever county you're in. Not sure what other states do.

I have friends on the team in my contacts, and in truth I would go direct with them if I was in the area. I would also hit SOS to get it 'on record' and make sure that message was received in case my friends weren't available.
    If Ms MoN is using the inreach, she would hit SOS and go by the numbers.

So. I sent my inreach login information in an email to all my emergency contacts, with the instructions that if my device SOS's, they are to give the contacting SAR center my login username/psswd.
    SAR will login to my account from their HQ, live track my device, and message directly with me. I found this to be the best and fastest way to get accurate information and location updates relayed to the people who need it. 100% cut out middle man.

Additionally, our local rescue agency maintains a list of members' inreaches login info - so the center can login to my device at any time as needed - in case my emergency contacts aren't around to give my login info.
    north bound horse.

As I have said before, Emergency Response replied 2 minutes after the SOS was sent.
    They called in the army of people who helped get me out, and called my Lady.
    I was not aware, so have no idea of the details. My 1st memories, my boots were off, I was laid out with some padding under my head, and I was surrounded by people. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1605464177.081528.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	912.2 KB 
ID:	348062

Super helpful, and good to know MoN that the inreach callback is right away. I assume same with a Zoleo, or another 2-way

Does anyone know about using an emergency locator in Europe?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Does anyone know about using an emergency locator in Europe?
    The iridium network is worldwide.
    As I recall, there are a few countries that they won’t come get you. Iran was one such, at that time.

Off topic but I downloaded the SOS EU ALP app for my phone. No experience using it though. It’s based in Austria.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    As I recall, there are a few countries that they won’t come get you. Iran was one such, at that time.
    I know there's connection, i used it to send messages, but i wonder if search and rescue in Europe gets the messages.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Super helpful, and good to know MoN that the inreach callback is right away. I assume same with a Zoleo, or another 2-way
    I'm not sure about other 2way, inreach the gold standard - it's all I know. Never even come across another brand of 2way on a rescue. spot and inreach is what I always see.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    yep.
    For rescues in general in Elbrus region of Russia, you need to have 'registered' with the rescue service. Even so, I'm not sure what happens with the notification chain. I suspect someone in your group or a friend in town would have to call to notify them. It's so -ehem- informal (respectfully).
    No clue what would happen in a place like Tibet or Nepal. Nothing until someone paid, I suspect.

Maybe I'll do a little research about this - I'm interested.

Was hoping powdrhound would chime in. Very relevant opinion. How you doing?
    north bound horse.

Was hoping powdrhound would chime in. Very relevant opinion. How you doing?
    Life is truly a matter of fractions.
    The pelvis pulverization stopped a cm from the hip socket. So just a matter of mangled bone and muscle to find its new normal.
    I skied opening day at Alpine that year.
    Now, it barks at me occasionally, but way below the noise level of the old knees.

Can the inreach mini pair with an android phone to provide better gps than the built-in GPS?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Can the inreach mini pair with an android phone to provide better gps than the built-in GPS?

Yeah. Earthmate app uses the Garmin gps. Downloadable maps and lets you layer.

It all integrates and syncs online with your service plan website.

Yes, but I would like to use it with OSMand. Basically can it be setup to tether the GPS data through bt?

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post

Interesting... I think the phone GPS might be significantly better than the inreach one, or at least the processor is so much faster that it seems that way. My inreach takes like 20 minutes to find itself after being turned on, while my phone can do it in seconds.

The lag is my only real complaint with the inreach. The battery isn't big enough to just leave it on for days, but turning it on to get out a quick message is not actually quick. I've had it for a couple of years now, and carry it a lot but don't send much because of this.

How long does it take from switching it on to sending/receiving messages for you guys?
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Yeah. Earthmate app uses the Garmin gps. Downloadable maps and lets you layer.

It all integrates and syncs online with your service plan website.
    Just remember to download the maps to the app before you go - while you're home on wifi. It's a slick system.
    north bound horse.