Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    ^^^Good review, thanks. Hopefully a trip report is coming.

About the battery life, it seems the mini is rated to around half of the battery life of the full size? With the primary use of this for me being multi-day trips, it seems that the weight savings would get eaten up with having to carry a larger aux battery to charge with. So is that advantage gone?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    [...]About the battery life, it seems the mini is rated to around half of the battery life of the full size? With the primary use of this for me being multi-day trips, it seems that the weight savings would get eaten up with having to carry a larger aux battery to charge with. So is that advantage gone?
    Depends what you plan to do with your Mini: with my unit on, and connected to my phone and watch, battery consumption is something like 5% for 10 hours of on time.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

I ended up buying that Inreach Mini.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180720_134006.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	241925
    Man their website is garbage, but I eventually got it setup and activated.
    It took a full 30 mins of waiting for it to activate. I was waiting so long I even read the manual, and almost did some chores around the house. Made me think it's going to be so slow for messages/etc also. But so far sending or receiving messages only takes 15-20 seconds
    Bit of a dick punch making you pay $35 extra plus the first month to activate it tho. You cant do anything prior to activation, so why not include that in the purchase price.

Quote Originally Posted by anything View Post
    It took a full 30 mins of waiting for it to activate. * * * Made me think it's going to be so slow for messages/etc also. But so far sending or receiving messages only takes 15-20 seconds
    As I recall, my gen1 SE took a half hour to initially update/activate/register. Subsequent update/syncs took 10 minutes or so. Messenging speed is all about satellite lock, quick when testing at home and sending/receiving messages to/from most camps with big opens skies up high. AFAICT, a few messages transmissions have taken awhile (up to a couple hours, but seldom more than 30 minutes) from camps in tight terrain. All of my sent messages have gotten through and AFAIK all messages sent to my unit got through.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    As I recall, my gen1 SE took a half hour to initially update/activate/register. Subsequent update/syncs took 10 minutes or so. Messenging speed is all about satellite lock, quick when testing at home and sending/receiving messages to/from most camps with big opens skies up high. AFAICT, a few messages transmissions have taken awhile (up to a couple hours, but seldom more than 30 minutes) from camps in tight terrain. All of my sent messages have gotten through and AFAIK all messages sent to my unit got through.
    good to know. will have to remember not freak out if it's not sending right away.

Quote Originally Posted by anything View Post
    good to know. will have to remember not freak out if it's not sending right away.
    Dunno whether this applies to the Mini: With the gen1 SE, after you hit "SEND" the unit attempts to send the message. If it doesn't get out, it will attempt to send periodically until it is sent. You can force a send anytime. Also, you can ascertain whether a message has been sent (important for me because I often turn off my unit after message has been sent, then turn it on later to check for received messages). After all messages have been sent, the unit also periodically checks for received messages, and you can force that too.

I'm on my third inReach (SE > Explorer > Mini), and each time the initial setup took awhile, but that has nothing to do with message sending time.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    ^^^Good review, thanks. Hopefully a trip report is coming.
    Hopefully. It'll first be on my Facebook and scattered on my Insta once I get through the pictures for those few here that are friends.

One really cool thing is we tried to climb Glover Peak 12,068 but didn't really have time to scout the line we needed the day before because of lightning so by way of not knowing where they hell we needed to go we just did an easy subpeak on the Glover ridge. We were guessing as to our altitude from the maps which gave me 12,025 and then we went to the mapshare and clicked on the point that was tracked as our summit point and it showed 12,021 - I'd not looked during our 30 minutes we spent chilling and taking pictures from up there and it is awesome to have it stored somewhere online. Also fun to be able to look back at our track and our marked campsites. Will not share that info because finding your own way and landing on awesome campsites is part of the fun.

Name:	20180711-IMG_9278.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	242088
    Last edited by uglymoney; 07-22-2018 at 11:36 AM.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...e-communicatio

Might be my next bc commo thingie.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Anyone got any thoughts on this?:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...e-communicatio

Might be my next bc commo thingie.
    About the same price with less capability vs the InReach Mini but nearly the size/weight of the InReach SE.

Similar subscription cost

Your only bonus is a built in portable battery.

So why not get an InReach Mini and carry a portable battery?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Most important question: What satellite system does it use?

Maybe I'm missing something but it appears to be quite a bit more expensive than inReach:
    -- Bivistick: $18/mo. = $216/year, only 10 messages per month, 50 cents for each
    -- InReach Safety Plan is $12/mo. + $25 annual fee = $169/year; unlimited preset messages, 10 custom messages, additional messages 50 cents each (Freedom Plan, i.e., ability to suspend months you don't use it $3 more); once preset is sent, back & forth response text messages are no cost.

Maps? Who cares? If you're relying on an emergency signaling device for mapping, you're doing it wrong.

I am unpersuaded.

It's on the Iridium system. I don't plan on using it every month year-round, probably only on a couple big trips a year. Can you do that with inreach?

And I don't have a volume commo need - mostly emergency, and maybe a message every now and then

It's on the Iridium system. I don't plan on using it every month year-round, probably only on a couple big trips a year. Can you do that with inreach?

And I don't have a volume commo need - mostly emergency, and maybe a message every now and then
    Yeah. It is like $25 a year flat fee and you can completely turn it off or change your plan up or down on a month to month basis. $35 gets everything you need for a month of tracking and messages or like $15 for the basic emergency service with a few messages included. So you could use it one month a year for about $40.

These are the current rates per month if you do not suspend. Copied and pasted from my plan just now.

Freedom Plans
    Safety ($14.95 USD/month) Plan Details
    Plan change will take effect Aug 29, 2018. (?)
    Recreation ($34.95 USD/month) Plan Details
    Your Current Plan
    Expedition ($64.95 USD/month) Plan Details
    Plan change will take effect immediately. (?)
    Extreme ($99.95 USD/month) Plan Details
    Plan change will take effect immediately. (?)

I don't plan on using it every month year-round, probably only on a couple big trips a year. Can you do that with inreach?
    Yes, with the Freedom Plan, for considerably less money.

We use the Safety Plan with Freedom option. Safety Plan works fine for our uses. I usually set the preset messages as follows:

-- Checking in from camp (sometimes asking for a weather report)
    -- checking in
    -- checking in, request response text ASAP

Sometimes I change those for a specific trip.

With the Safety Plan, you can send an unlimited number of preset messages plus up to 10 custom messages per month. With very few exceptions (1 or 2 per year), we initiate contact via a preset message. Per our usual routine, the recipient of the message confirms receipt (no charge). The received message (text and/or email) comes with a link with a map of the inReach location. Sometimes there's a bit of back & forth messaging. In 4+ years of use, I have exceeded the 10 no-charge messages/month only one time, when I broke a couple ribs, advising Honey that I would be coming out a day late, resulting in more than normal back & forth messaging.

Looks like the charge is now a one-time $20 fee.

We carry the device nearly every month (including on day trips, only for SOS), so I will likely switch to non-Freedom Safety Plan for $144/year.

ETA: $144/year + one-time fee is a bargain. For us, it's about having an SOS device with the ability to check in from camp (and for the sender to confirm receipt of check-in). The Safety Plan covers that.

On longer trips, I ask someone at home to confirm receipt with a weather report. I am usually the sender, although now that I'm recovering from TKR surgery, Honey has been sending me messages. She did a solo backpacking trip last weekend and checked in from camp via a preset message. It gave me peace of mind knowing that she got to camp safely (and that she has an SOS device).

Again, I won't be using a device much (my cats won't read texts) so the off-on plans sound good to me. Guess I'll look harder at the mini InReach.

Was looking at the inreach mini also. I have a spot but the lack of 2 way communication makes it much less appealing than the Garmin stuff since most. And, of course, the spot price increases have really turned me off.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Was looking at the inreach mini also. I have a spot but the lack of 2 way communication makes it much less appealing than the Garmin stuff since most. And, of course, the spot price increases have really turned me off.
    Wonder if we could get a group buy. I’m having trouble finding a discount.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Anyone gotten their hands on the Spot X yet? 2-way comms with built in keyboard, $250 retail, and plans start at $13/month. Seems like they're trying to undercut Garmin on price point by eliminating a few (IMO excessive) features such as GPS maps and app compatibility. Also built in rechargeable lithium battery, something that is lacking in my Spot Gen3, thinking about upgrading.

Globalstar network (spot)was crap when i had it, up until 2014. The coverage was terrible and the Spot customer service would only let me cancel the last week of my annual plan over the phone with limited hours. One good experience happened when my ex’s mom lost it and they sent a replacement in 2 days on the replacement service. No coverage in Nicaragua, Tajikistan, or Turkey.

Iridium has been perfect. I even get international service.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Yeah, Iridium > Globalstar, big edge to inReach over Spot.

This week I've been on the receiving end of inReach check-in messages. As I recover at home from TKR surgery, my wife has been backpacking, checking in each evening from camp. I've been sending back weather reports and encouragement. It give me peace of mind each evening knowing that she made it to camp is on schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    As are we. Tell us more
    I checked the message log for my InReach.

11:47. Sent: SOS
    11:48. Received: Emergency Response Acknowledged message.
    11:48. 3 more SOS location pings sent.
    11:49. Received: This is the IERCC. What is your emergency?
    11:51. Received: Message from my wife, after she had been automatically notified.
    11:52. Received: Emergency Services have been notified.

It sent out a SOS ping several times a minute for the first few minutes.

Within 2 minutes of hitting the SOS they were contacting us back.

I wish I had been aware, so I could have shown my rescuers how to use the device and the app on the phone. But I was pretty loopy at that moment. Obviously they figured it out well enough.

The first of the local hikers to reach us turns out to be a Med student, aiming to specialize in outdoor rescue. I was in good hands.

Forest Service, Sheriff’s Deputy, OHV patrol, hikers. I feel bunches of people working around me.

When I became aware, I noticed a bulge in my glove. Found a compound dislocated pinky, pointing out at the second joint. Grabbed it and pulled it back in place. Band-aid.

They stabilized me, and we waited.

Name:	IMG_5383.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	243610

1:41. The 1st helicopter arrived. Couldn’t find a good spot to land on the hill. 9,126’ at that point.
    1:52. Helo diverts to the parking lot below.
    6 or 7 people carry my ass down to the landing area.
    2:04. CalFire helicopter arrives.
    2:07. Lands.
    2:11. Loading.
    2:13. Takeoff, to parking lot.
    Transfer to CalStar helicopter.
    Direct to Reno.
    No, used too much fuel trying to land.
    To the airport instead.
    Transfer to an ambulance for the 1/4 mile to Renown Hospital.

Name:	IMG_5421.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	790.3 KB 
ID:	243612

Instead of John Doe, they label my wrist: U-EIGHTY-EIGHT, HOBBY

Straight to x-ray, then CT - “everything but the face”.

Concussion, shattered pelvic crest (30 pieces, per CT), 3 broken ribs.

I’m walking now, sort of. Those muscles that were attached to the missing pelvis parts are figuring out where to be. The ribs are getting better. I still get dizzy when sitting up from laying down. I hope that goes away soon.

I made it to 105 months. I’m ok with that.

And I will definitely keep using my InReach when I am out of cell range.
    Good device.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    compound dislocated pinky, pointing out at the second joint. * * * Concussion, shattered pelvic crest (30 pieces, per CT), 3 broken ribs.
    Ouch. Sounds like a hard fall. Best o' luck with your recovery.

@powdrhound ouch what happened??? Glad you are recovering
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    I checked the message log for my InReach.

11:47. Sent: SOS
    11:48. Received: Emergency Response Acknowledged message.
    11:48. 3 more SOS location pings sent.
    11:49. Received: This is the IERCC. What is your emergency?
    11:51. Received: Message from my wife, after she had been automatically notified.
    11:52. Received: Emergency Services have been notified.

Instead of John Doe, they label my wrist: U-EIGHTY-EIGHT, HOBBY

Straight to x-ray, then CT - “everything but the face”.
    Concussion, shattered pelvic crest (30 pieces, per CT), 3 broken ribs.

I’m walking now, sort of. Those muscles that were attached to the missing pelvis parts are figuring out where to be. The ribs are getting better. I still get dizzy when sitting up from laying down. I hope that goes away soon.

I made it to 105 months. I’m ok with that.

And I will definitely keep using my InReach when I am out of cell range.
    Good device.
    Super awesome report. Not so awesome root cause though.
    I've looked through your post history - but you don't seem to say what happened?

So many questions!

>U-EIGHTY-EIGHT, HOBBY -
    What's that mean?

>I made it to 105 months. I’m ok with that.
    And that?

Is Auntie Hydrocodone helping you tell the story?!

I'm sure we'd love to hear the full story.

All that said - it sucks to get thrashed. And it looks like you really done it right. [Go big or go home, amiright?!]
    Heal up soon!

-Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    About the same price with less capability vs the InReach Mini but nearly the size/weight of the InReach SE.

Similar subscription cost

Your only bonus is a built in portable battery.

So why not get an InReach Mini and carry a portable battery?
    Yeah, you have to do everything through your phone with that one, unlike the mini.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.