Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    I looked at the Milwaukee multi tool but read that no one, not even Milwaukee carries replacement blades. Is this true? Would someone else blades work? EDIT: looks like they are available now.
    Most (if not all) brands of multi tool blades are compatible with the Milwaukee tool. I think the other multi tool brands are similar, although some of them require adapters.
    Last edited by snoboy; 11-15-2017 at 07:23 PM. Reason: spilling

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Depends on the tool. A circular saw, reciprocating saw, or large hammer drill will still be better with a cord; but most hand tools, IME, are better as a cordless these days.
    My cordless hammer drill blows my mind. The torque turns concrete into butter.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    As a local contractor, I have become a solid believer in the Milwaukee M18 series of tools. Loads of power and their batteries can last an absurdly long time. I've done multiple low-volt rough-ins that took an entire day of boring out large holes through gluelams and joists, and at the end of the day I'd still have half a charge. I'd always pack up being like "WTF? That can't possibly be right." That said, the cordless shop vac (which is another awesome piece) chews through those batteries way quicker than the drills ever do. I've also drilled into a ton of reinforced steel and stone and these things just have power for days.

I've become a fanboy for sure. Just grab deals on batteries whenever you see them. They're normally super pricey, but OCCASIONALLY, I'd see them for like $50 a piece on super sales and grab a few of them.

Pro Tip: No matter what brand you buy, get them from your local tool supply shop. Preferably the authorized service center for the brand. There IS a difference between the Milwaukees/Makitas/DeWalts you find at Home Depot/Lowes vs the models at the supply stores the contractor's buy their stuff from. HD/Lowes typically strongarm the manufacturers into lowering prices so they can squeeze out SOME sort of a margin, and as a result the product quality suffers. It's usually small internal parts that you won't even see. I'm talking the difference between using nylon parts versus steel. They'll certainly cost more, but the tools will last you a lifetime versus a few years. I had a DeWalt drill that burned up after not long of light house duties. Took it into my local service shop and they said they couldn't touch it since it was a Lowes SKU. Different parts, different warranty, and wasn't really even serviceable. Learned my lesson.
    THIS ^^^

And I wouldn't get anything less than 20v nowadays.

I've become a believer in battery tools...but I still keep corded tools on standby.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    THIS ^^^

And I wouldn't get anything less than 20v nowadays.

I've become a believer in battery tools...but I still keep corded tools on standby.
    I stuck with corded tools for a long time hauling a generator around in the back of my truck running hundred foot extension cords cetera. Now I've gone 100% cordless and I love it.
    FYI all the 20 volt tools are actually 18 volt 20 volt is just pure marketing

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverSurfer View Post
    I stuck with corded tools for a long time hauling a generator around in the back of my truck running hundred foot extension cords cetera. Now I've gone 100% cordless and I love it.
    FYI all the 20 volt tools are actually 18 volt 20 volt is just pure marketing
    Apparently, Dewalt consumers weren't bright enough to differentiate between 18v battery packs so they had to market the new series as 20v.

I've always been skeptical of larger battery-powered tools until I started using the Stihl TSA230 cut-off (demo) saw. Holy shit does that thing rip. I've basically stopped using our plug-in sliding wet saw for concrete paver use as the Stihl is easier to handle and cuts just as fast. Charges fast too, it charges a totally dead battery faster than I can drain the spare battery.
    Name:  3cc7f8fc9ed74b798212e209313e31a5.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  60.6 KB

I've yet to use a battery-powered circular saw that I like though. Most of them eat through batteries too quick to be useful, and don't have enough torque. To be fair though I've only used the smaller 6.5" ones.

Milwaukee appears to be committed to the M18 platform. You can score batteries from them fairly easy by asking a Rep. That company makes so much money it’s ridiculous. They don’t even know how much it cost them to make a battery, they just have a dollar amount assigned to it. It was $20 a few years ago. And this is why http://www.ttigroup.com/en/our_brands/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

I’ve been pushing a Milwaukee impact driver to its limit (boring holes and driving large screws) on a regular basis (trail building for work), for nearly 10 years (replaced the batteries once) and its still going strong. When it finally does crap out, I’ll definitely be replacing it with their latest brushless 18v version.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

gotta ask a question , why an impact driver for drilling holes?? a drill bit doesn't fit does it ? I'm sure ways around it , Screws like roofing screws with a hex head using a nut driver great. How about #8 or #10 screws with impact driver?

edited as rushed ? going out the door
    Last edited by DougW; 11-16-2017 at 09:52 PM.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Ready to pull the cordless trigger. Is brushless worth it or no?
    $399 or $599?

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    got ask question , why you an impact driver for drilling holes?? a drill bit doesn't fit ? I'm sure ways around it , Screws like roofing screws with a hex head using a nut driver great. How about #8 or #10 screws with impact driver?
    I’m not sure what you’re asking.... couple typos there.... but i love impact drivers because they don’t torque your wrist, slow down as torque increases, are less likely to strip heads, and can power through just about anything.
    focus.

Cordless tool ecosystem?

Quote Originally Posted by Tips^Up View Post
    $399 or $599?
    I have some brushless, some non. I would buy brushless because it’s better and I like shiny things, but I can’t say I really miss it or notice on my non brushless tools. I’m a pretty casual user, so if somebody disagrees with me I defer to them.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Tips^Up View Post
    $399 or $599?
    Home gamer...nah not really worth the $200. Professional, yeah.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

I'm drunk and buy the brushes or ur limiting yourself. The difference is night and day. I've spent about 5g on dewalt in the last year. Deaawlt only coz my boss uses them. Other wise I would have gone down the Milwaukee road.
    Go brushless or punch yourself in the face!

DeWalt 60v are great! Lots power. I've used the skill saw grinder chop saw and saws all. My shit works hard and brushless and 60v or your the guy in rear entry boots on skinny skis telling everyone in 2018 how sweet your set up rides ...

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    gotta ask a question , why an impact driver for drilling holes?? a drill bit doesn't fit does it ? I'm sure ways around it , Screws like roofing screws with a hex head using a nut driver great. How about #8 or #10 screws with impact driver?

edited as rushed ? going out the door
    Depends on what you're Drilling but a lot of drill bits are available with the right fitting to fit an impact driver. Especially if you're boring holes in wood. butter

Quote Originally Posted by Mau View Post
    I normally buy Milwaukee or DeWalt corded tools, but when I bought cordless I went with a Ridgid combo kit from Home Depot.

I did this because they have a lifetime guarantee on the tool and battery if you register it within 90 days of purchase.
    The free batteries and replacements for life is interesting. Along with the multiple JobMax Heads that can be swapped out to give you multi tool, recip saw, jigsaw, rotary, angle driver & ratchet (with more on the way?) options for a half the cost of each tool....which all work on pneumatic, 12V, 18V & corded base tools. So you could have a air, cordless and corded version of various combinations of these tools.

Are these swap-able heads a legitimate alternative to individual tools? Is this warranty for real and without hassles?
    Last edited by Alpinord; 11-17-2017 at 09:51 AM.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

I've really worked my DeWalt batteries to death, one of my 1ah batteries will only power my flashlight now. I lost my 5ah battery and didn't want to spend an arm and a leg to get a new one. I decided to try the harbor freight batteries. $50 for a 5ah and a little bit of trimming on the tool to get it to slide all the way in and good to go. Hercules batteries for the win.

Bump, as I am looking at the many Black Friday sales on cordless tools. I have corded tools I like (circular saw, two angle grinders, Dremel, saber saw), one I don't use much (drill), and one cheap as fuck (Harbor Freight sawzall). The only cordless tool I have is a Porter Cable 18V Li-ion drill from around 10 years ago -- still works OK, batteries don't last that long anymore, so a replacement wouldn't be a bad thing to pick up. I also have a shop compressor and air tools; mostly just use the impact wrench and occasionally the ratchet.

The electric cordless tool I most want/need is a driver.

Looking at the brushed vs brushless thing -- at the same price ($229), which of these would you get? This is for home/garage use, not professional.

1) Dewalt drill + separate driver, 2 batteries, brushless
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-XR-2...ded/1000434587

2) Bosch promo: drill + separate driver, 2 batteries, brushed -- plus another tool (I'd pick the sawzall, since my corded Harbor Freight one is pretty shitty), plus another 4ah battery -- so 3 tools I could use, and 3 batteries total:
    https://core18v.boschtools.com/bestd...wE#popmake-110
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Cordless tool ecosystem?

Some might diss rigid (haven’t gone through whole thread, assuming) but for homeowner use they’ve been great fir me. And with issues, there’s LIFETIME warranty on batteries and tools. I’ve had to warranty a battery once or twice. Bought a drill/driver (current brushless) for FIL and they’re nice. I’ll hope they do not go out of biz and I loose warranty.

The red ones are nice too.

If all you need is a driver, and don't need huge power, I'd look at the 12v bosch kits that are going for around 100. https://toolguyd.com/bosch-12v-cordl...o-deal-111719/

but if you're willing to spend over 200 for either of those kits, this is a nice setup that'll get you a circ and recip saw for 300:
    https://toolguyd.com/best-cordless-p...k-friday-2019/

Acme tools doesn't collect sales tax last I checked. Get 3% cashback by clicking through Topcashback too.
    https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools...utm_source=sas
    Dude chill its the padded room. -AKPM

All the big name brands will be fine for home use.

You are buying into the battery platform.

- Look at the cost of batteries

- Look at the tool selection. Some brands have a small selection of tools. Some have everything under the sun. Some of those off items are nice; blower, string trimmer, hedge trimmer, vacuum, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I swear there was just a extensive thread on this, but I can't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by house View Post
    If all you need is a driver, and don't need huge power, I'd look at the 12v bosch kits that are going for around 100. https://toolguyd.com/bosch-12v-cordl...o-deal-111719/

but if you're willing to spend over 200 for either of those kits, this is a nice setup that'll get you a circ and recip saw for 300:
    https://toolguyd.com/best-cordless-p...k-friday-2019/
    If I just go with a driver, Lowe's has this Dewalt brushless on sale for $99. This is really all I need -- but I could justify a need/want for a nicer drill and a non-shitty sawzall...
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-20-V...ded/1001239964

That is a nice package on Makita tools there. I'm kinda leaning towards Lowe's-available product, because I have some discounts and gift cards.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    All the big name brands will be fine for home use.

You are buying into the battery platform.

- Look at the cost of batteries

- Look at the tool selection. Some brands have a small selection of tools. Some have everything under the sun. Some of those off items are nice; blower, string trimmer, hedge trimmer, vacuum, etc...
    That's kind of what I figured re: buying into a family of tools/batteries.

I don't need the larger yard tools as part of the cordless family, since I have a gas powered blower, string trimmer, and electric shop vac.

beece - I thought I saw one too, but google produced this thread as the most recent.