Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    There was a problem with Makita that you could run them until the battery was toast, whereas Milwaukee stopped before that point and the battery flashed telling you "dumbass I need a charge.". Don't know if that is still the case or not. Neighbour had that problem. Any way have had good luck with the red stuff though not by design as got a drill with 2 small batteries free with a mitre saw and stand and just went from there. If I could get a deal on a M12 drill I would go for it as would be nice to have a lightweight drill for small stuff.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    There was a problem with Makita that you could run them until the battery was toast, whereas Milwaukee stopped before that point and the battery flashed telling you "dumbass I need a charge.". Don't know if that is still the case or not.
    Makita's new batteries don't have that problem. It's actually gone the other direction. According to what I've read and seen, including the testing guy linked by NorCalNomad, Makita's battery circuitry cuts off power quite early in the voltage drop curve as part of its strategy to extend battery life vs. its competitors.

Makita and dewalt are both pretty sweet. I'd choose based on which brand has the best leaf blower.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I have a lot of Makita which works well for my farm use when putting up/fixing fences and pasture shelters. Be sure and pick up extra battery packs so you can always have one charging. Drills seem to be the best with regard to cordless tools, saws not-so-much.
    That's because you're using Makita. No seriously though sauce heat up batteries the only saw that I found that works is a Dewalt 20 volt Max with a 5 amp battery and even then Sawzall or skill saw will kill the battery pretty quick

Ford or Chevy. Fuck, it's a big investment to dive in. Makita does seem like the tits for drill. Saw and everything else, not sure. Dewalt offers a combo w a drill and circular saw and 2 batteries for about $250. I gotta look at the rest of the shit now and figure out what to do.

Also, live in the middle of nowhere so probably buying online. Lowes is a half hour that way, Home Depot is a half hour that way, I'm stuck in the middle with the internetz.

Pretty much all german stuff in the shop. Most offsite general construction and rough outdoor work is a mixture of Hilti, Fein, Milwaukee, Skilsaw, and Hitachi (older non home center crap) In my experience: none of the "big" companies produce a consistent line of tools where I would be beholden to one brand- I HATE the triggers on my Milwaukee drills and ALL mitre saws that come with "carpel tunnel" handles. I'd probably recommend just Milwaukee stuff for around the DIY house stuff- I gave up on Bosch ages ago. Makita is like Sony; good stuff, but they change models and battery format too much!
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Milwaukee

But the finest drills are Panasonic
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

^ Panasonic.....
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Tips^Up View Post
    Ford or Chevy. Fuck, it's a big investment to dive in. Makita does seem like the tits for drill. Saw and everything else, not sure. Dewalt offers a combo w a drill and circular saw and 2 batteries for about $250. I gotta look at the rest of the shit now and figure out what to do.

Also, live in the middle of nowhere so probably buying online. Lowes is a half hour that way, Home Depot is a half hour that way, I'm stuck in the middle with the internetz.
    What batteries are included? Anything less than the 3 amp battery will be drained quick in that circular saw

That's a screaming deal

I was at the IDaho FallsHome Depot today and saw the array of Ryobi stuff that fits all on the same battery. I know it is probably junk, but I'm impressed by the sheer number of attachments.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Dewalt combo does look good. Top of the line, all brushless. Maybe sell off a few to lower price. Don't know when I'd use an angle grinder. I have an old recipro saw I could sell when new one comes. I've got enough headlamps, I could sell the LED light. WTF is a multi-tool and how much could I sell it off for?

There's this one too. Tools seem nice but most aren't brushless; maybe a generation back.

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-XT706-...91&s=hi&sr=1-1

Same deal, I could probably sell off the light, angle grinder and my old recipro saw. Plus it comes w a tiny ass blower.

WTF is a multi-tool and how much could I sell it off for?.
    I have that exact multi-tool (oscillating tool). It and my impact driver are my favorite power tools. Some things.... that’s the only tool that really gets it done. All the cuts and corners where you said “there isn’t really a saw made that does what I need it to do” and you start dicking around with a knife or a chisel...... that’s what that tool is for. Plus it’s a nifty little sander.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    I was at the IDaho FallsHome Depot today and saw the array of Ryobi stuff that fits all on the same battery. I know it is probably junk, but I'm impressed by the sheer number of attachments.
    My ryobi 18V cordless drill and impact driver work fine. The brad nailer and 5" circular trim saw suck. The recip saw seems ok. The batteries fail pretty quickly. Wish I never got started with Ryobi. Once you have one battery tool the temptation to stay with the same manufacturer is strong. The HD Ridgid tools seem better. I have a trim router that is very nice. (corded).

Dewalt combo does look good. Top of the line, all brushless. Maybe sell off a few to lower price. Don't know when I'd use an angle grinder. I have an old recipro saw I could sell when new one comes. I've got enough headlamps, I could sell the LED light. WTF is a multi-tool and how much could I sell it off for?

There's this one too. Tools seem nice but most aren't brushless; maybe a generation back.

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-XT706-...91&s=hi&sr=1-1

Same deal, I could probably sell off the light, angle grinder and my old recipro saw. Plus it comes w a tiny ass blower.
    Angle grinder is indispensable if you have any steel to cut. Need to cut off an old Rusty bolt, replace a section of busted edges on a ski, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverSurfer View Post
    Angle grinder is indispensable if you have any steel to cut. Need to cut off an old Rusty bolt, replace a section of busted edges on a ski, etc...
    Strongly agree on the angle grinder being a nice addition to any tool collection.

But if your looking to sell back some of the shiny new tools from that set you might think about selling the angle grinder and buying a corded one. They are pretty cheap I've got 2 a $40 porter cable from HD and a $5 what the hell why not brand from a yard sale my wife dragged me to. They both work fine. The cords have never gotten in my way or caused me any inconvenience. Use them for cutting of stubborn bolts, auto body as well as paint and rust removal. Could see the value of cordless on a job site or farm though.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

An angle grinder is a great tool to have around. Along with cutting concrete, tile, metal, plastics and wood, it can grind, sand and brush, even buff, IIRC. There's chain saw blades, flapper wheels and wire brush options that really extend it's utility. I just read that the reason circular saw blades aren't common due to the angle grinder's higher RPMs vs circular saws. Looks like they could be an accident waiting to happen with super fast kick backs and no guard, although there are many times a 4" blade on an angle grinder seems like it would be the perfect option to have laying around.

I looked at the Milwaukee multi tool but read that no one, not even Milwaukee carries replacement blades. Is this true? Would someone else blades work? EDIT: looks like they are available now.

Is there any cross compatibility with cordless batteries between any manufacturer? I'm guessing no, to keep users in each manufacturer's lines as noted previously.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 11-15-2017 at 09:05 AM.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Is there any cross compatibility with cordless batteries between any manufacturer? I'm guessing no, to keep users in each manufacturer's lines as noted previously.
    That's the key to me. I would make some sacrifices in capabilities and features if I could have the widest variety of tools that work on one battery type. Each tool you get comes with one so you'd always have a couple charged and ready to go without having to drop the coin on just the battery for one or two tools in the collection. As it is so far, I'm good with corded tools and saving the $$.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    That's the key to me. I would make some sacrifices in capabilities and features if I could have the widest variety of tools that work on one battery type. Each tool you get comes with one so you'd always have a couple charged and ready to go without having to drop the coin on just the battery for one or two tools in the collection. As it is so far, I'm good with corded tools and saving the $$.
    True dat. A cordless drill and driver are no brainers. After that, the higher the power needs the less it makes sense to pay more to go cordless and not have full capabilities of a tool type, unless it is a lot better for a given repetitive task and a time saver (or corded power is a PITA). I am really liking my cordless jigsaw.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

I just read that the reason circular saw blades aren't common due to the angle grinder's higher RPMs vs circular saws. Looks like they could be an accident waiting to happen with super fast kick backs and no guard, although there are many times a 4" blade on an angle grinder seems like it would be the perfect option to have laying around.
    Extremely dangerous
    https://www.revealnews.org/article/t...still-uses-it/

^^^there is current tech to offset the dangers of the super utility of this setup... 2 blades spinning opposed to each other. I'm not up on what is available. Last looked like development was still on the up swing.
    ​I am not in your hurry

I have several Milwaukee 12v and 18v tools. Treated me pretty well for several years. My most recent addition to the set is the 18v oscillating multi tool, it's really nice for remodel projects. Whatever set you decide on, I recommend including the multi-tool.

tl;dr

been a hilti wholesale consumer since they came to our shores. Festool, hitachi and panasonic in the house. predominantly pneumatic hand tools to drill, sand and cut. Die grinder being the ultimate in usability across all mediums.

$400 worth of makita above is going to cover just about anything you throw in front of it.
    ​I am not in your hurry

True dat. A cordless drill and driver are no brainers. After that, the higher the power needs the less it makes sense to pay more to go cordless and not have full capabilities of a tool type, unless it is a lot better for a given repetitive task and a time saver (or corded power is a PITA). I am really liking my cordless jigsaw.
    Depends on the tool. A circular saw, reciprocating saw, or large hammer drill will still be better with a cord; but most hand tools, IME, are better as a cordless these days.
    focus.