Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sunglasses, whiteout conditions, half-frame, not Photochromic

For ski touring.

Suggestions?

Maximum contrast and definition boost for bad whiteout navigation.

Half frame means no frame on the bottom half (sprindrift and ice builds on the lower frame inside the lense during blizzards). But it has to have a rigid frame on the upper half of the lense for strength.

All photochromic lenses perform badly on sunglasses in cold windy weather. They just stay dark.
    Last edited by neck beard; 11-13-2017 at 01:53 AM.
    Life is not lift served.

I know it´s no half-frame, but still.

I have a Smith Overdrive with extra spare yellow sensor lenses.
    Maybe worth a thought.

Almost forgotten: the Cebè S´track, that´s an half frame.
    it comes mostly with a set of photochromic lenses which indeed get dark in the cold, no matter what and a second set, very light yellow with a blueish mirroring, which I fond very pleasant in foggy situations while ski touring.

What about those pit viper deals. Old Oakley thermonuclear style? I heard from a few they're great for skiing and they do have lens options.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

if you have a frame you like, but not the right lens color, (or its old and beat up) this is a good option?

https://fuselenses.com/

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    if you have a frame you like, but not the right lens color, (or its old and beat up) this is a good option?

Thanks for that, been trying to find new lenses for my safety glasses that Smith discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    Thanks for that, been trying to find new lenses for my safety glasses that Smith discontinued.
    Yes, but watch out: as far as I know they make only base 6 lenses.
    And I would stay away from mirrored ones.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post

^^^ More of why I love this place. ^^^

I've been thinking of a Drive Wear lenses for neck beard's stated purpose, but have been putting off detailed research
    (http://www.replacealens.com/v/Denver...hoCGboQAvD_BwE).

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    ^^^ More of why I love this place. ^^^

I've been thinking of a Drive Wear lenses for neck beard's stated purpose, but have been putting off detailed research
    (http://www.replacealens.com/v/Denver...hoCGboQAvD_BwE).

... Thom
    Is it not so that car windows and wind shield block UV radiations keeping photochromic glasses from getting any dark(er)?
    Keyword: Transitions.

These have been great: https://www.ryderseyewear.com/eyewea...n-orange-clear

The orange lens works great in low light, the brown is dark enough for bright spring days and the clear is great as a low light trail or safety lens. Cheap, tough, comfortable and functional. What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by PNB View Post
    Yes, but watch out: as far as I know they make only base 6 lenses.
    And I would stay away from mirrored ones.
    I'd like to act like I took all that into consideration already, but what in god's name are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    I'd like to act like I took all that into consideration already, but what in god's name are you talking about?
    Google is your friend.
    Anyway, to make it short I picked just the first suitable hit:

http://www.suncloudoptics.com/techlens - see also the second last picture.

"The base curve is the radius of the sphere measured from the back of the lens. Suncloud features styles with 6 and 8 base frame and lens curvature. Models that include 6 base tend to be more flat relative to your face. While frames and lenses that feature 8 base curvatures, enable the frame and lenses to wrap on the wearer's face."

Most sport glasses are base 8, meaning quite curved and require lenses accordingly curved.
    As far as I know fuse sells mostly, if not only, base 6 lenses, which must be somehow forced to adapt to a more curved frame.
    It's not necessarily a deal breaker, but a potential source of distortion.

A couple of years ago I got some Fuse G15 polarizing lenses for the Oakley Valve since I didn't like the original brown lenses.
    Actually It was OK and I could not really complain, but you'd see the different curve.

The mirroring is generally a weak spot and tends to peel off, even with the best lenses.
    With cheaper lenses the risk is higher resp. it would happen faster/earlier.

I hope I could help a little bit.

Despite the way they are marketed, Pitvipers are actually really good. I wear them over any of my other glasses when i know i will be sweating as ive never had an issue with fogging (and fogging is almost immediate with most other glasses i own), you can get polarized lenses, and i believe you can get lowlight lenses as well.

That custom lense service is good! But I dont have the frame.

Pit Vipers have good low-light options. Though I don't like fade lenses so much. Main issue is that they are too bulky. Lower profile geek glasses last longer being shoved in and out of your pack lid in the backcountry. Big glasses take up more room. Yeah, you notice it with a small pack.

Those Ryders look like the solution. I can get them in their blinding yellow lense, which I am familiar with.
    Life is not lift served.

I hope I could help a little bit.
    I had no idea. Always good to learn new things.

Is it not so that car windows and wind shield block UV radiations keeping photochromic glasses from getting any dark(er)?
    Keyword: Transitions.
    I believe that's the case with most transition lenses, although (unverified by me) the newer ones seem to be much better at working through a windshield. The main attraction for me is neck beard's application, although having lenses serve double duty for bad visibility driving is an obvious bonus.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Tried any of the Julbos? I use their Treks in a Zebra lens and can see reasonably well with them even in very low light conditions. They're half frame, anti-fog anti-precip anti-scratch etc etc. spendy but worth it imo. Not sure I've used them in bona-fide whiteout though, and I don't know what photochromic means. They are transitions, so maybe ignore me.

Yo billie, I just sold a pair of half frame Julbos. Zebra lenses are great... sometimes. The photochromic (transition) lenses stay really dark in cold winter weather (they need to be warm to work), which is exactly what you don't want in a whiteout. No idea why so much of the Julbo range of glasses are photochromic. It works ok on goggles most of the time as the enclosed space warms up the goggle lense with radiant heat from your skin.
    Life is not lift served.

Curious if you tried the Julbo Aerospace goggle with the Zebra 1-3 lens? Too bulky for the pack? I've found it the best solution for poor-weather ski touring.

I’ve used my julbo trek photochromics for the past 2 years in place of goggles , on the hill or touring. Maybe it doesn’t get cold enough here or if it does it doesn’t snow but I haven’t had a problem. In fact I just bought some “blasts” with the same lense and I’ll keep the treks in my pack as back ups. A friend bought “transitions” for his prescription and they were slow to change for light conditions and a lot of the time just stayed dark. Really like my julbo s. They’re wearing really well. Minimal scratches and a lot of use

yeah I suspect that where I am (UT) it’s just not usually cold enough to get the lenses too dark with all my head heat. plus I have more sensitive eyes and find even the darkened zebras very visible/nice.

curious about the general problem though, as I’m always on the lookout for glasses...

Quote Originally Posted by trogdortheburninator View Post
    Curious if you tried the Julbo Aerospace goggle with the Zebra 1-3 lens? Too bulky for the pack? I've found it the best solution for poor-weather ski touring.
    I have these and they rule, this is what I wear when it’s snowing or gonna be face-shot deep

Quote Originally Posted by trogdortheburninator View Post
    In the Aerospace goggles those zebra lenses are actually pretty good. One of my preferred not-bluebird goggles right there. But I can't break long and deep trail in goggles unless it is really cold and blowing. And I break long deep trail often If I open the lenses to vent humidity, then I get spindrift blowing in them on stormy windy days.

As for the cold factor and photo sunglasses: BC and UT are both cold enough for sure! You guys are either lucky or different, who knows. But I've had it plenty and seen others with it: blowing cold long distances on the skin track and dark photochromic lenses as a result, despite being low light. I used to put mine by my torso for 10 minutes to warm up and lighten in the darkness of my clothing.

I find photo lenses can go dark just with reflected light inside the pingpong ball, even if there is no vis, the ambient brightness in the cloud darkens them.
    Life is not lift served.

Weird I prefer my zebra lenses even in whiteout conditions over any other glasses. Dunno maybe it's just the contrast that works for me, I don't really find them dark when it's cold. I considered buying the zebra light a few times, but I still find the zebra way better than my oakley sensor yellow goggles for poor visibility.

I haven’t had any issues in cold stormy conditions with the zebra light lenses in my Julbo Dust glasses. I don’t bring goggles anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums