Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ray ban wayfarer frame cuz they fit my face, yellow lenses for shitty light
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I haven’t had any issues in cold stormy conditions with the zebra light lenses in my Julbo Dust glasses.
    You are fortunate. It is a well documented common behavior with photochromic lenses.

Because photochromic compounds fade back to their clear state by a thermal process, the higher the temperature, the less dark photochromic lenses will be. This thermal effect is called "temperature dependency" and prevents these devices from achieving true sunglass darkness in very hot weather. Conversely, photochromic lenses will get very dark in cold weather conditions.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photochromic_lens

What is your special trick to beat science?
    Life is not lift served.

They must use some PFM technology. That Wikipedia article is a bit generic. Julbo specifically state the camel lenses are not affected by cold.
    Last edited by daught; 11-14-2017 at 06:47 PM.

I am honestly guessing some combination of my head gets hot enough for it not to be noticeable + my eyes are sensitive enough I prefer the zebras darkened.

Hot head! My long vision is poor, so I guess I notice the darkened sunglass lense on dim flat light days. Those days are bad for me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    They must use some PFM technology. That Wikipedia article is a bit generic. Julbo specifically state the camel lenses are not affected by cold.
    Guess I should have bought the Camel lense not Zebra. My Zebra sunglasses absolutely became darker in cold whiteout low light weather.

oh well
    Life is not lift served.

I haven't noticed the camels getting substantially darker in the cold, but I hated to comment on that because it might just be something I'm not particularly sensitive to. I wear the camel lenses every day walking to 2 miles to/from campus and often when ski touring. Again, could just be something that doesn't bother me.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

From the Julbo website, Camels are good in the cold.

No mention of cold performance for the Zebra. But based on my history with 2 pairs, Zebra are not good in the cold.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    Pit Vipers have good low-light options.
    bump. how do these do with fogging? thinking about getting a pair of their clear glasses for nighttime skiing. I got some bolle safety glasses off amazon and tried to treat with some scuba anti-fog stuff and it didn't work well... whatever my julbos are treated with works perfectly. I want a clear lens thing that won't fog when skinning at race-pace wearing them.

pit viper clear? anything else for ~$50?