Page 54 of 77 FirstFirst ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 1915
    Quote Originally Posted by thebrucemac View Post
    Thanks, holding hope for those last two weekends and chairs 2 and 3 at least open. Haven't been back to home hill in years.
    Chair 2 may be open. That doesn't mean it will be running though.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I think the skiing up there should be pretty great this weekend. This weekend was no slouch. Had some really fun Microwave laps.

Sunday, went snowshoeing in the literal (almost) backyard. Lots of ski potential up there, wish I had brought mine. All these photos are about an hour walk from my porch.
    Gotta get your touring rig dialed ASAP!
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

I have 0 plans at this point. We might play it by weather. I just wanted to stay on the east side to cut down on driving time and maximize skiing time.

For Baker, is there skiing if you don't want to summit? Also can you skin to the summit? I'm very familiar with the volcanoes in the south, but not keen on taking my ski partners with little mountaineering experience up anything too hard, and don't know much about Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by meggers View Post
    I have 0 plans at this point. We might play it by weather. I just wanted to stay on the east side to cut down on driving time and maximize skiing time.

For Baker, is there skiing if you don't want to summit? Also can you skin to the summit? I'm very familiar with the volcanoes in the south, but not keen on taking my ski partners with little mountaineering experience up anything too hard, and don't know much about Baker.
    You should just plan to summit if you are going to be there anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Figured this might be the appropriate place to post a few pics of something I’ve been eyeing up for years. A long day tour South from Kootenay Pass, crossed the 49th parallel and skied the North Face of Snowy Top http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=17013, in perfect conditions. Bagged a couple of other north facing lines off peaks on the way home. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180317_194712689_iOS.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	220.3 KB 
ID:	229010Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180317_185019588_iOS.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	222.8 KB 
ID:	229011Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180317_195009121_iOS.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	229.4 KB 
ID:	229012

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    ^^^the Pass opens on a different day every year. Check WSDOT for updates. They plow to Silver Star gate first, so you could camp near there and ski that area first if it’s not plowed through, and your plans are set.
    Road has been plowed to SS gate all winter. Rumor mill is DOT did the reconnaissance trip today, but no word ye t on when plowing will begin.

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    Gotta get your touring rig dialed ASAP!
    Listen to Steve the Wise.

Business gets crevassy quick on that hill. If the shady stuff is in good shape, you could try Heliotrope (furthest west arm of the mountain) and hope that you can drive/sled up the road a bit... I'm unsure of the current conditions though.

South side has an access point at Schreiber's Meadow, almost certainly snowed in some distance down the road. Sleds use that side heavily as the Rec area extends far up the slope.

I've skinned to the summit, but conditions were ideal, with grippy corn and good timing. Upper mountain should be treated as a serious mountaineering endeavor with ropes and crevasse skills encouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Figured this might be the appropriate place to post a few pics of something I’ve been eyeing up for years. A long day tour South from Kootenay Pass, crossed the 49th parallel and skied the North Face of Snowy Top http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=17013, in perfect conditions. Bagged a couple of other north facing lines off peaks on the way home. Click image for larger version. 

Sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I think the skiing up there should be pretty great this weekend. This weekend was no slouch. Had some really fun Microwave laps.

Sunday, went snowshoeing in the literal (almost) backyard. Lots of ski potential up there, wish I had brought mine. All these photos are about an hour walk from my porch.

Attachment 228934
    Attachment 228935
    Attachment 228936
    wow killer view. congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post

Is that in the north part of the Kettle Range?

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

Business gets crevassy quick on that hill. If the shady stuff is in good shape, you could try Heliotrope (furthest west arm of the mountain) and hope that you can drive/sled up the road a bit... I'm unsure of the current conditions though.

South side has an access point at Schreiber's Meadow, almost certainly snowed in some distance down the road. Sleds use that side heavily as the Rec area extends far up the slope.

I've skinned to the summit, but conditions were ideal, with grippy corn and good timing. Upper mountain should be treated as a serious mountaineering endeavor with ropes and crevasse skills encouraged.

Sick.

Yeah I'm thinking I'll save Baker for a slightly more experienced group. I took someone who never ski mountaineered on their first trip last summer and had a nightmare of a time, and I will never do that again.

Thinking now, if the weather is good, we will drive to the gate at Silver Star Creek and start there.
    Is there a good guide book for the northern cascades? Or is there a good shop to talk to people at to get some ideas?

I absolutely hate being the trip leader.

Or is there a good shop to talk to people at to get some ideas?
    Goat's Beard Mountain Supplies in Mazama.

I absolutely hate being the trip leader (plus lots and lots of questions)
    Maybe consider using North Cascades Mountain Guides?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    That has a nice ring to it for a username change...
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post

Maybe consider using North Cascades Mountain Guides?
    Thanks, I'll start there.

I think guides are out because if the weather is bad we want to have option to change plans last minute and ride bikes.

Thanks for all the help, if you couldn't tell, I'm new to the northwest and have very few connections.

I think guides are out because if the weather is bad we want to have option to change plans last minute and ride bikes.

Thanks for all the help, if you couldn't tell, I'm new to the northwest and have very few connections.
    https://www.amazon.com/Backcountry-S.../dp/1594856567
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Is that in the north part of the Kettle Range?
    No, it’s further East, in the Southern Selkirks.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Will second that. Grab one of the quads (either the Green Trails or USGS) of the area and ask CB for good routes. Generally very forthcoming

Thinking now, if the weather is good, we will drive to the gate at Silver Star Creek and start there.
    Just as a heads up DOT did their reconnaissance trip prior to clearing on Monday. I have not heard when they plan on beginning to clear the road, but be aware that it could be possible that you show up and there is 2-4 miles of bare pavement on Hwy 20 beyond the gate. Shoot me a message if you've got other questions. Good luck with the trip.

My shoulder isnt getting better as quick as id like, so Im thinking about heading over to the eastside and touring out of the Stafford Creek trailhead on Sunday instead of banging bumps at Alpental. Ive been there a few times during the summer, but never in the winter and it seems like it would be a really cool area to ski. Anyone have any beta on the conditions, road to get there, etc? From what i remember and see on google earth, the general summer trail route seems like a good route. Anyone have any thoughts?

Crustal was a solid 4 flake day.

Except the parking lot in the morning with the bus sliding out hysteria.

Just good solid skiing all around out there.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    lost sight of Rainier from the top of 2 today, snow.
    There were a bunch of them scattered all over the parking lot the last time I was there. ‘Course that was back in the eighties.

This was a good space today:

Due to WSDOT clearing you cannot go past the gates Monday through Thursday.

Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I'll be at Stevens tomorrow. If you see someone with a missing ski tip let's take a run.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Due to WSDOT clearing you cannot go past the gates Monday through Thursday.

Seems like dd's kinda place...

Well, except for the climbing/skinning part.
    And the skiing part.
    Oh, and the having a partner part.
    But yeah.

Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda