Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Tonight's commute back up made me really consider my life choices. But traffic dissipated after truck town and there was only the slightest skiff of slush once I got off I-90.

Morning could be different. Or the same. Hard to say, but the plows were out prepping just in case

'bout time. In!

Baker has announced for Thursday. Still waiting for that Blackcomb Friday official announcement.
    I'm so hot right now!

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    It seems this thread needs to get going now. I'm not sure I'm worthy of being the guy to start it, but it's time.

Went to White Pass today to check out the coverage and make some turns. It doesn't get mentioned much in here, and I'm ok with that. It sucks there, and you should all ski elsewhere.

Arrived at the top of the pass with the future Mrs. NWS for a nice leisurely 10:30am start time. Coverage looking good. I'll be surprised if they don't fire up the front side chair this Saturday.

Skinned all the way up to the top of Pigtail peak for some laps on "Outhouse." It rewarded us with some nice boot top hot pow.

After adding some more tracks to that face we made our way down. Only one stump hit. Not bad.

The bottom half of the mountain was some of the worst skiing ever. That awesome boot top was mid boot deep, unturnable garbage. Made us truly appreciate how good the top half was. And it wasn't anything special besides being the first turns of the season in the Cascades for us. Bottom half wasn't worthy of pictures.

Looking forward to a great season with early openers for everyone. Time to get this party started!!!

Courtesy of pipedream. Here's some links:

Point forecasts:
    Mt. Baker Ski Area
    Stevens Pass Ski Area
    Summit At Snoqualmie, Alpental
    Crystal Mountain Ski Area
    White Pass Ski Area
    Mission Ridge Ski Area
    Hurricane Ridge Ski Area
    Loup Loup Ski Area

Backcountry:
    NWAC Avalanche Forecast
    NWAC Mountain Weather Forecast

Volcanoes:
    Mt. Rainier Recreational Forecast
    Mountain-Forecast.com: Baker, Glacier, Rainier, Adams
    MRNP Twitter (road status, conditions, etc.)

Webcams:
    Stevens Pass
    Summit + Alpental
    Crystal
    White Pass
    Mission Ridge
    Mt. Rainier NP
    Hurricane Ridge (ONP)

Getting There:
    WSDOT Pass Reports
    WSDOT Statewide Travel Alerts
    Hurricane Road Twitter (plowing starts 11/24)

Other:
    NW Radar Loop
    NWAC Hourly Weather Data
    Larry Schick's Powder Alerts
    Cliff Mass Weather Blog
    WA SNOTEL (snow depth, SWE, etc.)
    Glad to see this thread get going. Nice set of links NW_Skier.

Quote Originally Posted by pipedream View Post
    Tonight's commute back up made me really consider my life choices.
    Meh, you have options.
    It's not like you have to sit and wait at Edgewick for the road to open (unless you choose to).

Crustal opening Wednesday.

Stevens hinting at a Weekend opening. Looks like they are track packing the mountain in anticipation of more snow.

Nothing official from Mission but the webcam images make it very apparent that they are gearing up to open. Webcam showed cats track packing the upper basin. Also shoveling the midway deck.
    Last edited by Leavenworth Skier; 11-14-2017 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hairy asshole View Post
    Baker has announced for Thursday. Still waiting for that Blackcomb Friday official announcement.
    I realllllly hope Blackcomb opens Friday... so I can avoid it and go to Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    It's not like you have to sit and wait at Edgewick for the road to open (unless you choose to).
    Yeah but choosing to drive backroads through pitch-black eastern Bellevue which were littered with debris only to sit in gridlock to get on I-90 because drivers don't know how to handle a traffic light-controlled intersection when the power is out had me a little worried. The combination of sideways rain and heavy traffic made for sketchy conditions because you never know when the person next to you is gonna hit a patch of standing water and hydroplane on their bald tires. The passes fared much better than the lowlands yesterday, nowhere near as much wind and far less shit to come down with it. Plenty of rain, but that's expected... I was happy to have power when I got back up here unlike most of my friends in the city.

Snow in the PNW 17-18: Dropping!

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    powerless here
    Never lost power in snoqualmie but now have 4 snapped fence posts. Shit.

Also have a 6x8 fence panel in my yard, blown through the air from 2 houses away.

Welcome winter!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Amazingly my power didn't go out in the bend. My wife drove from target in issaquah to home and apparently it was shit show.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Crustal opening Wednesday..
    I assume there will be no a no uphill traffic rule in place too.

yep

Uphill Travel:
    Starting Wednesday, Crystal’s Uphill Travel Policy will be in effect. You must check in with patrol if you plan to travel uphill. If the lights at the bottom of the Gondola and the bottom of Chinook are flashing, there’s no uphill travel allowed within our ski area boundary. If the lights are off, check with patrol to find out the approved uphill routes for the day. When the lights are flashing, this means that Avalanche Control is underway. We will be doing avalanche control on Wednesday, which means uphill travel within our ski area boundary will not be allowed.

Also, now that the Uphill Travel Policy is in effect, there will be no more hiking/skinning into Southback, which includes all of A-Basin and part of Silver Basin into the cat track below the Airstrip. The section climber’s left of Three Way Peak, including Joe’s Shoulder and Triple F are outside of our boundary and we do not conduct avalanche control there. The climber’s right side of Three Way Peak is within our boundary, and we will be conducting avalanche control in this area. Hikers and skinners must head left from the cat track below the Airstrip. Look for the sign that tells you to “turn left here,” which heads towards Upper Henskin Lake. Anyone hiking or skinning along the Airstrip will be trespassing. Only those with knowledge of the terrain and area should venture into Silver Basin.
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 11-14-2017 at 03:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    I realllllly hope Blackcomb opens Friday... so I can avoid it and go to Baker.
    WB is opening Friday. Now the tough decision - free skiing at WB or go home to Baker? Or both?
    I'm so hot right now!

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Check the small print.

Discovery, Chinook and Forest Gump only... I assume there will be no a no uphill traffic rule in place too.
    Hope the forecast and temps hold for crustal. I would just enjoy some groomers at this point for fak sake.

Quote Originally Posted by pipedream View Post
    I was happy to have power when I got back up here unlike most of my friends in the city.
    I love my little bubble

I somehow missed the Summit Parks update but it looks like there are quite a few changes coming into play this season:
    http://www.summitatsnoqualmie.com/bl...-terrain-parks

Most notably you'll no longer need a park pass to send fat -> flat off the the Berlin Wall @ Acres

Sweet fuck

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baker.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	337.1 KB 
ID:	216178

Quote Originally Posted by Stairmaster View Post
    Sweet fuck
    Yeah, and it's actually the forecast for the ski area, not for Mt. Baker the 10,781' mountain. Crazy.

looks like a recipe for NARSID to me.

Yeah, and it's actually the forecast for the ski area, not for Mt. Baker the 10,781' mountain. Crazy.
    Yeah, I don't fall for those pow chaser alerts that report on the top of Mt. Baker.

Just heard of two missing snowboarders

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/news...184530568.html

Doesn't sound good

Stevens was fun today. But as the day went on very heavy below about 4800, too heavy for my 95 underfoot early season skis. Scoped surprisingly decent coverage on the back.

Hogs running on and off to transport trollers setting up the hill.

Making the trip to Baker for opener. If half of that forecast materializes it will be an amazing start. So stoked to go straight to the new pow sticks with little concern of damage and see how these Q's ride... giddy-up horsey's!!

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Making the trip to Baker for opener. If half of that forecast materializes it will be an amazing start. So stoked to go straight to the new pow sticks with little concern of damage and see how these Q's ride... giddy-up horsey's!!
    You and the entire wwu campus.

Probably, but figure better than Xtal on 3 lifts.

You and the entire wwu campus.
    Yeah, what do you figure is the over/under on how many of my students don't show up for class on Thursday...