Black Crows Navis Freebird Beta?

Anyone out there have some milage on this ski? Kinda looking for an all around-er for Colorado touring. Magazine reviews sound good.
    Wondering about durability and also want a ski that's playful and skis all sorts of variable snow well.

Thanks

I'm 9 days on a pair so i can't speak to the durability. Thus far however, they have proven to be reliable performers in a variety of early season conditions. They are stiff and snappy which in my world equals playful. Definitely a ski that responds to aggressive skiing. I've got Kingpins on mine which is making for a nice middle of the road set up; light enough but also strong enough that I would consider it an all 'around-er' as you say. For what it's worth, I give them a thumbs up so far and they seem to be the kind of ski that you are looking for.

My wife has around 40 days on hers now and has been really happy with them. They can do it all well here in CO; enough waist to float, a softer tip that stays up, but good mid and tail to hold an edge. She likes stiff skis and didn't want a total noodle for touring. The Freebirds are light enough, but still have some mass to them to not feel totally chattery. Durabilty is good: top sheets, sidewalls, tips haven't chipped or degraded quickly. Bases have been good and survived some early season rocks this weekend just fine!

I got this setup late last season for my spring/non-pow touring rig. Pretty versatile shape, quick edge-to-edge, ski is actually pretty burly for a touring rig, so you won't set any records going up but they have a pretty high speed limit too. They don't do anything really amazingly, but I wanted something versatile that could handle everything you could see on a long eastern sierra tour (pow, ice, corn, slush...) and these are it. Would actually make for a good resort daily driver for medium/lighter skiers. Since they are the narrowest ski I own I have put a few days on them at the resort with no issue. I own these and the Anima freebird as my pow touring rig (which I put more days on last season than anything) and I'm really liking the black crows shaping - a nice balance of fun, slarvy, predictability, and stability. No surprises or shit moments whatsoever.

Bump for any more reviews! Curious if anyone's used them in deeper pow (looking at you, MT, WA, and Canada!). I know they won't perform as well as a 110+ ski, but would they manage well in 95% of the soft snow you'd encounter using them as a one-ski quiver?

Quote Originally Posted by dub_xion View Post
    Bump for any more reviews! Curious if anyone's used them in deeper pow (looking at you, MT, WA, and Canada!). I know they won't perform as well as a 110+ ski, but would they manage well in 95% of the soft snow you'd encounter using them as a one-ski quiver?
    40 some days on mine. They manage very well in soft snow. Fun in the gamut of soft conditions. As a one quiver option the only time I find them at all lacking is skiing tracked out ski hill conditions. You feel things and can not smash at will. It is a touring ski, a beefy one but still in that category. They ski well enough all around that you kind of begin to believe that they should be just as strong on the rugged hill conditions as they are everywhere else.

Have about 15 days on mine, mounted with Ions. It is a very predictable ski and reminds me a lot of the Coomba/Coomback in that it is dependable and does everything well, but nothing exceptionally well. Have skied them in low density pow up to about 30cm and found them to be super fun with good float, probably owing to the large shovels that seems to overcome the narrower 102 waist. I'm 5'11" and feel for a 185, despite the early rise, they do seem to ski a bit long. Their short radius makes them easy to maneuver though, so it's not really an issue. Also bought the Black Crows precut mohair mix skins which have been excellent. Have spent a day on the Corvus Freebird (hot pink topsheets) and though that's a far superior pow ski, I found it not nearly as versatile as the Navis for mixed bag conditions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LRG_DSC01285.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	533.1 KB 
ID:	221494

Quote Originally Posted by Solesides View Post
    Have about 15 days on mine, mounted with Ions. It is a very predictable ski and reminds me a lot of the Coomba/Coomback in that it is dependable and does everything well, but nothing exceptionally well. Have skied them in low density pow up to about 30cm and found them to be super fun with good float, probably owing to the large shovels that seems to overcome the narrower 102 waist. I'm 5'11" and feel for a 185, despite the early rise, they do seem to ski a bit long. Their short radius makes them easy to maneuver though, so it's not really an issue. Also bought the Black Crows precut mohair mix skins which have been excellent. Have spent a day on the Corvus Freebird (hot pink topsheets) and though that's a far superior pow ski, I found it not nearly as versatile as the Navis for mixed bag conditions.
    Put me more in mind of a light weight Volkl Explosive.. and far, far better than the Coomback ever was.

Fun ski.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

You had me at Explosiv ;-) Will either remount my Ion LTís or get some fresh Vipec Evos. Boots are Vulcans. 179 will probably be the perfect length for b/c tour/free tour. Think Iím going to clear things out and go for a one-ski bc quiver.
    Last edited by dub_xion; 01-16-2018 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Put me more in mind of a light weight Volkl Explosive.. and far, far better than the Coomback ever was.

Fun ski.
    I was (still am) a Coomba fanboy, and am biased and cannot be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    40 some days on mine. .
    AP is very hard on gear so this ^^ speak volumes about durability,

I ran into buddy and he had ductape on his new oakly eye glasses

did I mention he is hard on gear
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Solesides View Post
    It is a very predictable ski and reminds me a lot of the Coomba/Coomback in that it is dependable and does everything well, but nothing exceptionally well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LRG_DSC01285.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	533.1 KB 
ID:	221494
    A bit lighter than the Coomback but that' s pretty good frame of reference.

I'm three years in to the Navis non-Freebird, never skied the Freebird so I can't compare, but as a one-ski-quiver touring ski I don't think you could do much better. On the deepest days I sometimes wish I had something more like 130+ underfoot, but the 102 Navis copes just fine. Steeps, soft, big long days with multiple climbs... it's a great ski.
    I'd love a Corvus Freebird for bigger powder days, but personally I don't think I'd switch to a Navis Freebird.

Enjoy!
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too