Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I guess I need to figure out how to embed videos on here

Sent from my LGMS330 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

yur in my wheel house now MAGGOT

1st-skiboots are for skiing, not walking/skateboarding or surfing; however transferable those skills may be.
    the sole is long and the flex is short; AT boots are the exception because they are designed for walking(the 1st skill requirement) thereby flexing in the desired directions.
    2nd-carving boards are not required for carving but do make your "grom tripping trenches" much deeper

3rd-a simple, sturdy, adjustable plate interface between boot and binding is crucial; cant, lift, binding angle, splay, stance width, scr orientation, all variables that must be considered to dial in your bio-mechanical comfort zone ( I have waaaay more foot pain strapped in than clipped in every time) here comes boot fit; moldable liners are the greatest thing since metal edges.

4th-I hardly ever 2plank it any more because both feet on one plank is easier on my knees than skiing on 2 could ever hope to be, especially switch.

5th-laces and straps will never. ever. last even half. as long as plastic shells and metal bails

6th-kneeling or sitting in the snow is never required if you embrace stepin convenience.

I was skiing when snowboards were bent plywood with rubber straps so always used a forward facing stance

7th-go tell that skier "you can't go switch in hardboots".
    Last edited by b0ardski; 11-19-2017 at 08:14 PM.
    embrace the gape
    and believe

Putting hard plates on a noodle soft shortboard isn't really the greatest of ideas. I'd recommend finding a directional board that's fairly wide so that you can at least have a 40 degree angle stance. Longer is better. I'll go into more detail later, I'm driving right now. Trying to get home for kickoff for the Patriots. Formula 1 car arcing turns is the most fun you can have on a snowboard

not recommending noodles but 18cm stiffy racesticks suck for most offpiste, but conditions vary
    19cm donek proteus 170 in 6" of fresh

no "noodle soft short boards" here cept the wife's
    embrace the gape
    and believe

Quote Originally Posted by b0ardski View Post
    not recommending noodles but 18cm stiffy racesticks suck for most offpiste, but conditions vary
    19cm donek proteus 170 in 6" of fresh

no "noodle soft short boards" here cept the wife's
    That Mistral 167 at far right should be front and center, IMO. Brilliant board. Not race stock stiff or stupid narrow. A great all rounder. The 159 size was $$$.

my buddy curt at wildcat this weekend. This guy can carve like madd. That's a Donek MK (madd killer) https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...omment_mention

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    I've helped several riders over the years with hard boots.

A major recurring theme: "My knees can't take it anymore" & "Carving boards destroyed my knees".

Another one: "My knees are painful because of snowboard carving."

Old school boots pop up at Browse and Buy frequently enough I'm able to call a friend when they show up.
    So...mogul skiing is kind of the same thing with knees. But, ime, it isn't skiing moguls that's hard on knees, it's crashing in moguls. So if you know what you're doing and dial it back to 80% or whatever speed/aggressiveness keeps you from exploding, you can ski bumps all the time and knees are ok. When you're going comp-mode full speed and sending airs into moguls, there go the knees.

Is the knee pain scene with alpine carving because of crashing, or because of something inherent to the body movements of alpine carving?

also: if I want to learn this from scratch, would I be better off starting with alpine carving gear or trying to work up to it through softboot and non-carving-oriented gear for awhile first? I guess the underlying question is about how touchy/tricky/unforgiving the alpine stuff is versus other snowboard gear.

You guys might check out furberg snowboards. They are leading the way in a freeride-sense.

Disclaimer: I am a soft-boot fan-bois of furberg.

if you're starting with some per-existing ski/snow skills and longboard carving skills you're not quite starting from scratch; a lot of that is transferable to hardboot carving but just as important is good boot fit and dialing in a stance that doesn't cause pain. I could prolly have you linking carves in a day if your familiar with both feet on one board and you have properly flexing boots that fit well.
    keep a tool in your pocket and spend the time to make adjustments to your stance til you can stand still and ride in comfort.
    kneeling or sitting in the snow with steep angles does suck, I don't do that.
    taking moguls is hard on the knees if you don't flow with them, one stick or two.
    softies are more forgiving, for less of a challenge, start there and creep your angles forward incrementally (toe drag is a drag size 13s will require a wider boared) til you're comfortable with facing forward
    or watch ryan knapton videos and steer clear of the darkside
    Last edited by b0ardski; 11-19-2017 at 07:58 PM.
    embrace the gape
    and believe

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    also: if I want to learn this from scratch, would I be better off starting with alpine carving gear or trying to work up to it through softboot and non-carving-oriented gear for awhile first? I guess the underlying question is about how touchy/tricky/unforgiving the alpine stuff is versus other snowboard gear.
    I say start soft, we most all rode and raced soft 30+ years ago. I loved those pink goggles lol.
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1038
Size:  96.6 KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	407.7 KB 
ID:	216675  

touchy is a good way to put it, small movements on alpine gear can create big results good or bad
    embrace the gape
    and believe

wish I learned to board when I was short but they didn't exist yet
    embrace the gape
    and believe

I don't think you need to start in soft boots. Get a pair of touring boots, put em in walk mode figure out your angles, giv'er.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    I don't think you need to start in soft boots. Get a pair of touring boots, put em in walk mode figure out your angles, giv'er.
    This works VERY well. It's how I transitioned from skiing. Alpine carving is similar feel to skiing. Same balance.

I don't think steep angles or facing forward is going to be a problem. I do that naturally when surfing and carving the skateboard...I've actually tried to not do it so much because it's kooky looking on a surfboard, but steep and forward facing is by far my most natural stance. Still, you aren't locked into either of those and you don't have to kneel or sit, so I can see how that would be a problem. Weirdly, I hadn't even thought of it much. Step in, click out binders then.

ugh...just visualizing this now, it's going to be weird not to be able to move my feet around and adjust while riding. I do a lot of that on the other boards.

Glad you mentioned ryan knapton. The guy is an inspiration. Kinda goofy but his style is so fluid. I want to learn the fakie carving pop he makes look easy. Ripping down blue groomers on a wide stiff coiler is fun but using all the little transitions to flow carves on and pop to fakie carve is so stylie. Going fast and ripping arcs is the core but on crowded days working on loading up the nose to pop fakie into a crave is my next level to learn. Gonna post some Knapton videos. Such a goofball but man...the guy has crazy sweet style.

https://youtu.be/MRcl23DsDNo like buttah

^^^Thanks for sharing. He is fun to watch!

And he's got a ton of videos to watch. Just kind of get the idea inside your head before you start learning it

Quote Originally Posted by MrMan View Post
    Flat corduroy hill? Perfect.

It is NOT unrealistic to use an old pair of alpine ski boots, in fact back when I was racing most every serious hard booter/racer scoffed at snowboard specific hard boots as they were too soft and expensive for what they were. And they haven't changed all that much. Experience with Longboarding, surfing, and carving on skis will definitely give you a head start for learning to carve on a snowboard in so many ways.

As for boots, I used to love my old Rossi R700 alpine boots for racing and free riding. I've also used old super stiff Tecnica TNT. Stiffer the more responsive. I later used Alpina Top rat asyms, snowboard hard boots but only because Alpina was giving them to me. They worked fine but weren't an alpine boot. Average stance angles run front and rear were between 45/50 degrees and 14/15" width for slalom and 16/17" for GS.

Here's a pic from 1992 at Beaver Creek free riding with the Ski club Vail team. We were railing down Centennial. I was riding for a Sims sponsored team out of NH and those are my Rossi R700 alpine boots with Emery plate bindings.
    Attachment 215933
    holy shit !!! The giant MADD sticker on the Nose ! Mike Banker was the man back then. John Gilmour is still a close friend. That shop was the balls. windsurfing, too. Bitchin' Boards !!!

Quote Originally Posted by permnation View Post
    ^^^Thanks for sharing. He is fun to watch!
    just watching this now. flippin sweeet. I lived at the Beav back in the late 90's. Hoyt Hottel put us up in Gypsum until we found a place. Worked for Colorado Mt Express driving vans and rode hard boots EVERY MORNING at Bachelor's Gulch before going to work. It was a dirt lot back then, no Radisson. Thanks for posting that !

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    POTD?

Hey Yeti, if you really want to go full retard this winter why not telemark?? NTTAWWT.
    Well....here's the story behind that really...

Carving: we just have way too much corduroy time at the little hill where I ski. So pretty much the most awesome thing I see from the chair on our corduroy sea is a few alpine boarders trenching. I wanted to do that, so I got some new school race skis (last racing was in like 2003 maybe) and the sidecut was like 21m and not nearly enough to TRENCH, so I worked my way down to some SL race skis with a 13m radius and big plates so I can lay legit 6" deep trenches in the cord and frequently drag my inside hand and sometimes elbow. In contrast to so much other racing-based skiing going on here, I'm trying to go deep, I'm trying to carve so hard I can actually control speed with the trenching, I'm running turns out across the fall line and even uphill sometimes just because it's fun to lay into a deep arc and go deep into the G's. I think some skiddy old timers actually get upset at my tracks.

I snapped this the other season; all my tracks. There are literally no tracks on this shot that weren't mine...this was a lunch break from work when nobody else was out. If there's no soft snow, and no tree skiing, and no moguls....what are you going to do? fuck it.
    Name:  carvey_zpsti92keur.PNG
Views: 1030
Size:  565.4 KB

So that's a lot of what I do now when it's corduroy season and there isn't coverage in the trees or a decent mogul field....and I'm not driving to bohemia.

Add in this: this fall a beautiful wave in the area hit critical mass with regard to numbers of traveling surfers. At one point I counted 40+ people in the water, there were people evil-eying me when I showed up...this is in our local area where I grew up. I was livid. Posted something about it on fb feeling out what we were going to do with that situation, because it's fragile, private land, land is up for sale. People were littering, cars everywhere from who knows where out of state and whatnot. Anyway, one response was "hey, we can always just longboard (skateboard)" .... I had a pile of stuff in my garage, storing a buddy's gear while he's floating around post-divorce, and in there was a longboard. I fixed his snapped board this summer for free, and his shit is in my garage, so I asked if I could borrow his board. I have a free bus pass from work and there are a few ways to lap some hills with the bus, so I started longboarding this long downhill bike path that used to be the downhill freight train run from the highland mines to the docks. Bus station and my house at the very bottom, Wife's work at the top, walgreen's for little bottles of wine in the middle. It was a god damn revelation is what it was.
    So, several catastrophic wrecks later, this feeling of gliding along carving the longboard is just exquisite to me...and we had some decent surf in between and I've never surfed better, even when I was surfing way more in better waves in the ocean. So, I just want to keep that going. I want to carve cords like I've been carving, except to do it in a way that keeps skateboarding and surfing fresh for next spring.
    Another thing that kind of sealed the deal....one night I'm arriving back at the top for a last lap at sunset and there's a group of some of the better skiers in the area up there doing the same thing....like, of course they are. Here we all are. So fun.

When you live in tardsville, you can either drive yourself crazy or join the tards. Trying to join in.

How about that the photo I posted in the first post is actually MrMan...seems like the alpine carving thing is a really small world inside a small world inside another small world. That's weird and cool.