Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    nano-niche of a niche sport

you'll be layin over carves the 1st day you get some gear on the cord with that skill set
    embrace the gape
    and believe

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    How about that the photo I posted in the first post is actually MrMan...seems like the alpine carving thing is a really small world inside a small world inside another small world. That's weird and cool.
    railing is railing.
    shape skis, carving boards, whatever.
    carve carve carve, no skid
    sadly, we recently lost the godfather of carving , Jean Nerva.
    at about 11:15 that's my first real carving board , PJ Asym with high backs for soft boots. quickly graduated to plates and a race board. PJ got stolen at sugarbush. rossi rep hooked me up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDOapg3IE7g
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

hung up the skis for 20 years https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgLM873iSRc

Jean Nerva's birthday today
    RIP
    https://youtu.be/vp4uZckpcF4

Sent from my LGMS330 using TGR Forums mobile app

Bromada

bump for Aspen
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    POTD?

Hey Yeti, if you really want to go full retard this winter why not telemark?? NTTAWWT. I actually saw somewhere recently that carving snowboards are the new back to the future scenario for snowboarding--I guess the new boards are more oriented toward carving than they have been recently.
    if you want to know more about the new tech, check out Donek.
    Kessler,Prior(RIP) and Coiler, among others. The dark side is calling

If you don't know how to board, then learn to board on soft boot first. Also, consider a wide (27 cm at the waist) board that can carve in softies, like a Jones Stormchaser, Spring Break slush slasher or a BX style board. you can have all the fun and still have nice boots.

Been liking riding one of these lately:

http://www.dupraz-snow.com/dupraz-d1-6plus_en.html

No hardboots needed. And I'm a big foot riding regular angles so far but might tweak them a bit. It's really fun carving when the conditions suck everywhere else. Legs were actually tired after riding yesterday and that rarely happens from riding groomers. Kinda crazy being able to trust my heel edge in a high speed turn with my ass on the ground!

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Been liking riding one of these lately:

http://www.dupraz-snow.com/dupraz-d1-6plus_en.html

No hardboots needed. And I'm a big foot riding regular angles so far but might tweak them a bit. It's really fun carving when the conditions suck everywhere else. Legs were actually tired after riding yesterday and that rarely happens from riding groomers. Kinda crazy being able to trust my heel edge in a high speed turn with my ass on the ground!
    I guided a pro snowboarder riding a Dupraz a few years ago, and I’ve never seen such effortless surfing on snow. Almost makes me want to get back into boarding.

My 3 buckle boots are pretty surfy, even with stepin plates.
    The boot shells last 100s of days and the plates last for decades all with less effort than softies, but the right board for conditions matters as much as boots.
    embrace the gape
    and believe

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I guided a pro snowboarder riding a Dupraz a few years ago, and I’ve never seen such effortless surfing on snow. Almost makes me want to get back into boarding.
    They ride pretty nice on groomers, and actually make it fun. Can't wait to see what they'll do in a little pow on wide open slopes

well guys.

The first baby step has taken place.

A cheapo soft setup appeared on local CL, so I got it and went out floundering on the bunny hill and whatnot. It's both harder and easier than I thought. The whole process of just existing with my feet locked into that fucking thing is still really alien at this point.

Chairlifting off ramp is a real clusterfuck so far. All in all, so much embarrassment...so much humiliation. I remain motivated to get past it and into real riding.

Yeah, it hurts. Avoid sticking your hand back when falling backwards, that's the source of many broken wrists. It'll come, give it four or five days. Stay away from tiny children, though. You can crush them.

You will really appreciate decent gear once you figure it out a bit more with clunky gear. Don't forget the brain wax

Name:  28836302.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  23.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Stay away from tiny children, though. You can crush them.
    no doubt. I'm staying away from every and any other human while in this learning phase. I'm not fucking with this until the holiday is over, then it will be on slow midweeks with no kiddies around.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    no doubt. I'm staying away from every and any other human while in this learning phase. I'm not fucking with this until the holiday is over, then it will be on slow midweeks with no kiddies around.
    helps if you have someone to help you with technique. otherwise watch Knapton's videos

When learning to snowboard these tutorials helped me a lot. I kept copies in my pocket to study.
    http://www.carvers.it/club-ski-cern-...d-tutor-index/

A#1 best lesson:
    http://www.carvers.it/club-ski-cern-...hat-not-to-do/

Does anyone else think carving snowboards are super lame? Putting huge gouges in the groomed runs becomes a hazard for everyone else that might catch an edge in them. Also cutting across slopes is really dangerous, everyone needs to stick to the fall line as much as possible. And it just looks cheesy.

Quote Originally Posted by duffski View Post
    Does anyone else think carving snowboards are super lame? Putting huge gouges in the groomed runs becomes a hazard for everyone else that might catch an edge in them. Also cutting across slopes is really dangerous, everyone needs to stick to the fall line as much as possible. And it just looks cheesy.
    gaper jong

try not to trip over the tranches

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident