Thread: Gaspesie

Gaspesie

Heading to the Chic Chocs in March. One of the cabins by the Gite/campground.
    We know the area well, having been a bunch of times.
    This go around, we have some time- maybe 4 days- after our cabin reservation runs out.
    Ultimately, we will be driving back to Maine.

So-what else is worth exploring? The time frame is no good for a hike to hut. Not real interested in any lift serve (unless it's a powder day). If we get snow, we might think about La massif on the way back.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by HHTELE View Post
    Heading to the Chic Chocs in March. One of the cabins by the Gite/campground.
    We know the area well, having been a bunch of times.
    This go around, we have some time- maybe 4 days- after our cabin reservation runs out.
    Ultimately, we will be driving back to Maine.

So-what else is worth exploring? The time frame is no good for a hike to hut. Not real interested in any lift serve (unless it's a powder day). If we get snow, we might think about La massif on the way back.

Anybody have any thoughts?
    I've stayed at those cabins many times as well as camped, stayed in the chalets next to the Gite and stayed at the Gite. The Gite was the best when they had the meal plan included. If they still offer that you could live it up a bit more and just stay put if the skiing's good. Being just two miles from Albert, you have all the terrain you would need for weeks worth of skiing. You could also talk with Jonathan the owner of Chez bass, the nice pub/restaurant in Saint Anne Dumont. He rents rooms and you could spend some time on the water catching the sunsets after skiing.

I am not worried about running out of terrain. Just looking to explore a new area. We are normally up there in spring. Wondering about other options in the winter. Given the extra time, not yet booked in the hut, thinking about other options in the region, or rough;ly between there and Maine.

Could check out Murdochville. There's some fun terrain near the ski area. And even the ski area can be fun as I think it's closed mid week with decent vert. Untracked low hanging fruit. Could also use those last 4 days hitting up Katahdin on your way home if you live south of there.

You can see some of the good touring terrain in the background of the pic from Mont Miller ski area.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=murd...Lfv3or2cljaxM:

Ski Mount Blanc with Francois Roy’s guided operation.

http://vertigo-aventures.com/mt-blanc/

Murdochville. Mt Porphyre. Mont Miller ski hill is worth a visit when they're open and have fresh snow, they don't allow skiing when closed anymore. Possibly get a cat ride with Chic-Chac. But 250-300m is ok skinning too.
    Mt Lyall.
    Montagne St Pierre between Amqui and Mont Comi. Check with Gendron Sport in Rimouski for directions.
    Massif du Sud has backcountry areas.
    yes, drink and stay at Chez Bass... Ste Anne des Monts. (not Dumont) ha. The riverside sunset view is good.

Quote Originally Posted by steff View Post
    Murdochville. Mt Porphyre. Mont Miller ski hill is worth a visit when they're open and have fresh snow, they don't allow skiing when closed anymore. Possibly get a cat ride with Chic-Chac. But 250-300m is ok skinning too.
    Mt Lyall.
    Montagne St Pierre between Amqui and Mont Comi. Check with Gendron Sport in Rimouski for directions.
    Massif du Sud has backcountry areas.
    yes, drink and stay at Chez Bass... Ste Anne des Monts. (not Dumont) ha. The riverside sunset view is good.
    Thank you for correcting me!

Murdochville is definitely on the list. The only thing is that I am not really into hiking into places that are being motor accessed. Nothing against cat skiing, if we could afford it, we might do it ourselves.

Anybody know if there is terrain in that area they don't drive to?

And, we were just talking about Baxter before I checked this thread. Such a cool place.

What areas are you already planning to ski?
    If you want to stay in the same area for another day or so, and haven't been to the following places, I'd suggest Mont Lyall, Monts Vallieres de Saint Real and Mont Blanche LaMontagne. Close together and short distance from Mt.Albert huts/camping.
    In Murdochville, the cat doesn't seem to go to Mont Aiguille, "The Needle". Still accessed from town, it's part of the old mine site, not pretty, but interesting terrain. Although there may be snowmobilers. Staying in the Park will be the best to avoid motor traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by steff View Post
    What areas are you already planning to ski?
    If you want to stay in the same area for another day or so, and haven't been to the following places, I'd suggest Mont Lyall, Monts Vallieres de Saint Real and Mont Blanche LaMontagne. Close together and short distance from Mt.Albert huts/camping.
    In Murdochville, the cat doesn't seem to go to Mont Aiguille, "The Needle". Still accessed from town, it's part of the old mine site, not pretty, but interesting terrain. Although there may be snowmobilers. Staying in the Park will be the best to avoid motor traffic.
    We have skied all of the above, and are happy to do it again. Basically have probably 25 or so days touring stuff that is an easy drive from the huts. But, have never skied anything else in eastern Canada.

Baxter is a good option. You drive by it on the way back. Send a pm for info