Does anything like LTCC exist anywhere else in the States?

For those of you who don't know, Lake Tahoe Community College offers stupidly cheap avy courses (sub $100 for an AIARE 1 if I remember correctly). They've also offered WFA and WFR courses (also severely discounted compared to their normal counterparts).

Do other community colleges exist that do similarly cheap courses? Particularly interested in the PNW, but I also feel like it would be good to have a general list for anyone interested.

Has anyone taken a course at LTCC and a similar course through one of the more recognized providers? How did the courses compare quality-wise?

It’s not dirt cheap, especially if you’re not a CO resident, but Colorado Mountain College offers Avy courses, courses geared towards becoming a ski, fly fishing, rafting, climbing guide. It’s a bit more for kids with enough money to go to pretend college, so it’s referred to as see me ski, or Colorado men’s club.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    u of u does a semester long snow science course that at $400 blew away my avvy 2 weekend course mostly
    because every friday was field days and we spent 10x the amount of time actually digging in the snow over a season
    but had very little rescue skills so no piece of paper cert
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

North Idaho College in Coeur d'Alene is very similar. Their outdoor program is more organized than LTCC, though.

And now you can hang in Leadville or Steamboat and get a degree in Avalanche Science.
    http://coloradomtn.edu/programs/avalanche-science/

Quote Originally Posted by iceclimb View Post
    And now you can hang in Leadville or Steamboat and get a degree in Avalanche Science.
    http://coloradomtn.edu/programs/avalanche-science/
    Damn, that looks a hell of a lot more fun than what I studied in college...

Paging Micol:

Uniform Charges:
    The College wishes to identify its students in the field and on internships as belonging to
    the CMC Avalanche Science Program. Much of the coursework will be outside in the wintertime and having
    basic clothing layers is key. We anticipate sponsorship from well-known clothing manufacturers and being
    able to equip our students with high quality uniform pieces at a significant discount. Students enrolled in the
    Certificate of Occupational Proficiency will be required to purchase the basic student uniform (shell and insulation layer) for approximately $200-$250.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Shred Baron View Post
    It’s not dirt cheap, especially if you’re not a CO resident, but Colorado Mountain College offers Avy courses, courses geared towards becoming a ski, fly fishing, rafting, climbing guide. It’s a bit more for kids with enough money to go to pretend college, so it’s referred to as see me ski, or Colorado men’s club.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It’s actually the third least expensive Bachelors degree in the country for local kids. And it’s not too bad for out of staters.

Quote Originally Posted by iceclimb View Post
    It’s actually the third least expensive Bachelors degree in the country for local kids. And it’s not too bad for out of staters.
    I forget they do Bachelors now. When I went it was a pricey community college, especially compared to what I was paying for community college in California. Looking up credit credit prices, for an in state student, who is not in district, it would cost the same as going with a guiding service to do an avy-1. If you're already a student it makes sense to take a course with them.