Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Playful lightweight ski for the trees?

Not looking for the always debated "playful-charger". I am looking for a fun and playful ski that is going to live it's whole life in the trees and all of those miles self propelled.

Snow conditions will be Vancouver North Shore wet heavy pow. We don't get much light blower here.

Length about a 185 ish, width from 104 to 110 and sub 1800g per ski.

Even better if it is an over looked ski from a year ago and easily found heavily discounted.

Softer flex, soft tails, lots of pop and play...so the opposite of the standard TGR dick waiving plank. Maybe I should go ask this on Newschoolers?

is this a 100% touring ski then? 4frnt ravens maybe? depends how light you wanna go I guess...

Find yourself a Faction 3.0 in a 186cm. 108 under foot and ~1900g so a wee bit more than you are asking, but plenty of pop and playfulness and really easy to maneuver.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Line Bacons... Thank me later...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Maybe praxis bc? Kind of goldilocks on length, though 180 or 190. My 180s (2013 standard build - maybe MAP core? and carbon) are ~1900gms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year's G3 empires... 115, so a little wider than you asked, but a good amount of rocker, and still relatively stiff where it should be. Didn't read a ton about them, managed to get a good price on them and I absolutely loved them last year (especially considering the winter we had).

G3 Synapse 109s. Exactly what you’re looking for, and you can likely get last years at a close-out price directly from G3 in Vancouver.

Voile v6 and v8 are super light and quick turners. Short turning radius if you like that.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    G3 Synapse 109s. Exactly what you’re looking for, and you can likely get last years at a close-out price directly from G3 in Vancouver.
    oy I want this ski. how short do they ski with all the rocker?

Not super light but decent weight. Perfect app. I picked up a on3p steeple 102 for a spring combo with my other lighter set up. I've been using it this fall and it's been great early season in tight, funky early season situations. Nice float even though I bought it shorter. Low camber and nice rocker profile and 26?m radius. I haven't really had it up to speed in the 12-15 days I've been on it though. Just been skiing it with my tlt6's but I really want to try it with my lupo's now. So maybe consider steeple 108 as well(more in your requested parameters)

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    oy I want this ski. how short do they ski with all the rocker?
    I’m 6’1”, 175lbs, full-time skier, and find the 185s to be a fun easy turning powder turning ski. The rocker doesn’t seem to negatively effect their stability in open areas, but definitely keeps em nimble in the trees.

Black Crows Navis Freebird

Arv 106

(Or the 189cm Steeple 108’s I have for sale)
    Last edited by slowroastin; 11-09-2017 at 11:45 PM.

BD carbon convert

Anyone ski the Atomic Backland 109 in a 189? Seems I can snag a pair dirt cheap. A touch heavier than I want at about 1920g per ski according to the Blister measurements.

184 vweks katana. 112 underfoot
    There's a link on here to these for 500 bucks from last year

Edit - nevermind, sorry did not see the Soft/playful part
    Sent from my VS987 using TGR Forums mobile app

I'm debating the Salomon QST 106 for a tour setup, seems to fall into this category and close to the right weight? Not much info on TGR actually on the QSTs it seems.

Can vouch for the praxis BC. If you're looking at getting them off somebody though make sure they know what kind of layup is in em cause it's possible to customize and make fairly stiff (though not as stiff as you get get on ON3P's say). I'm just starting to earn my turns and would be using my bc's but want to keep them as my dedicated inbounds ski/don't want to redrill

Right price, length and weight. Not sure on how poppy. https://www.sierratradingpost.com/wh...-skis~p~227wj/

Quote Originally Posted by skialpy View Post
    Voile v6 and v8 are super light and quick turners. Short turning radius if you like that.
    I'll second the V8, although a bit wider than Op was looking for.

185cm Voile Supercharger has 108mm waist, 20m radius, 1730g per ski, made in USA. I've never skied Superchargers, although I have many days on original Charger and Vector (both smooth-based and BC fishscale version), skied trees many days in each. "Playful" is an apt description for both. FTR, I also have V8s, which I like, but I'd rather be on my Chargers or Vectors in trees.

Or hit the weight room and ski something that actually rides better than a piece of cardboard on the way down the mountain...

You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    Or hit the weight room and ski something that actually rides better than a piece of cardboard on the way down the mountain...

Yeah.

I ski metal katanas in the resort, and I find that of I load them forcefully at the end of the turn, they turn on a dime and pop nicely.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

The Down CD114L fits all your criteria. At the presale prices from the fall they were stupid cheap. Maybe hit them up and see if they would give you a discount. The group buy skis have not shipped yet but are supposed to be on their way soon.
    http://www.downskis.com/shop/countdown-104l-2017
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

I'm a complete wuss, but spend a lot of time in the trees and think my soft, floppy, very rockered Rossi S3s are phenomenal, stupid easy to ski. But only 98 underfoot.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy