Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    41

    waterproof shells for kids (hard or soft) - do they exist?

    Does anybody make a truly waterproof breathable shell (non-insulated) for kids?

    Kids = 9-14.

    I've done some looking and came up empty.

    One of my kids would prefer to layer and has been wanting a shell for a couple seasons now. Can't imagine I'm the first dad trying to oblige similar wishes.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,390

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    1,036
    pretty nice looking kids shell there. Anything similar where the hood works with helmet and face coverage is good when zipped up?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Donner Summit
    Posts
    427
    Look for a "rain jacket" with DWR, e.g. Marmot Precip or Patagucci Torrentshell. Also 3-in-1 jackets are basically a shell paired with an insulating layer.

    Older kids can wear an XS adult size, more expensive but more features (pit zips, helmet compatible hood, etc.). Sometimes these are on deep discount due to the size.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Thanks, I will check that out more closely! That's looking like a solid option. Wish it had a helmet compatible hood, but that's not necessarily a deal-killer.

    Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Look for a "rain jacket" with DWR, e.g. Marmot Precip or Patagucci Torrentshell. Also 3-in-1 jackets are basically a shell paired with an insulating layer.

    Older kids can wear an XS adult size, more expensive but more features (pit zips, helmet compatible hood, etc.). Sometimes these are on deep discount due to the size.
    Thanks teledad, but don't the torentshell's wet through ? I own one and they outta call it H20YES. Granted it is about 4 or 5 years old, but I stopped wearing it early on because I was getting wet. I should get him to a brick and mortar and see how an XS hangs. That's a good idea and you're right on the sales in that size. I've seen that a lot.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bottom feeding
    Posts
    4,443
    Don't all the major brands have this? My daughter had a Pagucci and then a North Face, and I think she had a Roxy like this one:
    https://www.evo.com/outlet/insulated...waAnOXEALw_wcB
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    41
    Yep, but it's insulated. He's got a Patagucci insulated currently.

    Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Don't all the major brands have this? My daughter had a Pagucci and then a North Face, and I think she had a Roxy like this one:
    https://www.evo.com/outlet/insulated...waAnOXEALw_wcB

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Donner Summit
    Posts
    427
    Don't know about the Torrentshell specifically, just an example of the class of jacket. Basically unlined shells for kids seem to get sold as rain jackets, I assume because there's a bigger market.

    My kid got an XS Men's Powder Bowl (deeply discounted) when he was 11, it was a little big the first year but he grew into it (and eventually out of it). He was doing a lot of touring so a shell was easier to deal with than a big bulky insulated jacket.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    1,036
    Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Don't all the major brands have this? My daughter had a Pagucci and then a North Face, and I think she had a Roxy like this one:
    https://www.evo.com/outlet/insulated...waAnOXEALw_wcB
    Most I see are insulated, < 10k rated or not rated, with hood designs not friendly to helmet.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Where the climate suits my clothes.
    Posts
    3,551
    I was going to say the same.. my kids are younger (3-7) but I have found that "Rain Coats" or a 3-in-1 are viable options for a kids size Hard Shell without insulation.

    Yours are big enough it sounds like the adult XS may work as well.

    Happy hunting!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,992
    I used to buy the boys all kinds of waterproof shit at thrift stores when they were growing up. Worked great.

    Just buy them anything in Goretex and you should be good. Maybe look to the more race-oriented companies geared toward kids who are standing around on courses all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    7,753
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 11-09-2017 at 07:51 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,992
    Is it just me or is this not really that hard a question to answer? Sorry if that sounds snarky but really?

    And WTF is going on when he hasn't been JONGed yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    4,092
    My wife just bought my girls, 12/14, 3in1 jackets with removable insulation liner and water proof shells in STP for a great price. Doesn't seem that hard.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    1,036
    It's because 98% of the market is insulated 5 and 10k jackets that soak up wetter snow and do not fit a helmet. Storm skiing for my kids is not as chill as it should be. they've got face buffs, but it would be sweet if they could just cover their helmet and face with a hard shell on the lift. e.g. to my knowledge Patagonia doesn't even make a shell jacket/3 in 1 that fits a helmet under hood. At least our older 3 in 1 doesn't. There are some decent linked jackets above, but at $250 it needs to be a 3 level hand me down

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    thanks for links!

    Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Is it just me or is this not really that hard a question to answer? Sorry if that sounds snarky but really?

    And WTF is going on when he hasn't been JONGed yet?
    I'm going to speak to that. Hang on, let me adjust the mic. It's because you!

    Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    It's because 98% of the market is insulated 5 and 10k jackets that soak up wetter snow and do not fit a helmet. Storm skiing for my kids is not as chill as it should be. they've got face buffs, but it would be sweet if they could just cover their helmet and face with a hard shell on the lift. e.g. to my knowledge Patagonia doesn't even make a shell jacket/3 in 1 that fits a helmet under hood. At least our older 3 in 1 doesn't. There are some decent linked jackets above, but at $250 it needs to be a 3 level hand me down
    Exact opposite of OP

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    41
    i would easily spend two fiddy on that green north face, BUT the zippers on the back or side or whatever are fucked up. my kid knows this. he doesn't want zippers fucking with him in ANY way. he wants to ski downhill. he wants to layer and expects the same shit we all got.

    and his dad is willing to spend exactly half to 3/4 to get him there provided it gets him at least 1.5

    i get the economics, the limited market, the non-to-none understanding of layering, materials, membranes, whatever. i'm just saying we're selling our kiddos short braheems

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    13,919
    I would check out mec.ca
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    7,753
    What’s zippers on the side? Do you mean the pass zipper on the left sleeve? It appears there are four zippered pocket on the Jacky one for a pass, one chest pocket, and two pockets to put goodies in. Why do you think they’re fucked up?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •