Pressure Cooker Recipes?

A quick search turned up a few things in the "Watcha Cookin'?" thread, and a few other hits, but no dedicated pressure cooker thread.

I just got back from a few weeks at the in-laws', and they use their pressure cooker much more than I do. So I decided that this winter, I'd try to get better use of mine.

Last night, I made these (I've posted this before, but it's still amazingly good): http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...ab-recipe.html This morning, I'm using the leftover sauce to make an ersatz chilaquiiles recipe for breakfast.

I've got a few recipes for chili and stew and the like, but nothing that's really vetted or otherwise prioritized.

Anyone (KQ?) have good pressure cooker recipes they'd like to share? When I was a kid, my mom made bread pudding in hers, but I haven't tried to find a recipe for that, either...

I run mine at least once a week to make a couple quarts of basic chicken stock. Really ought to be using it more though. So I'm interested to hear what everyone else is having success with in theirs. Homemade yogurt perhaps?

In a similar vein, I freaking love my zoji rice cooker. I set up grits and oatmeal for breakfast before bedtime and when I get up in the morning it's ready to eat. Makes really good rice too.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I made an Irish stew (albeit with beef, rather than lamb) tonight that was insanely delicious.

It's only "sort of" a pressure cooker recipe, but I made it in the pressure cooker (using the suggested times given in the asterisked note), so I think it counts. I didn't use any brown sugar because that seemed weird.

http://ivymanning.com/guinness-irish...-patricks-day/

Manning’s Irish Pub Guinness Irish Stew
    Serves 6

3 pounds boneless lamb shoulder or leg, cut into 1-inch pieces
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    1 cup flour
    4 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    3 medium carrots, peeled
    2 cups Guinness stout
    1 bay leaf
    2 tablespoons minced herbs (thyme, rosemary, marjoram)
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    3 cups beef stock
    2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
    3 parsnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch lengths
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    1 to 3 tablespoons brown sugar

Heat half of the oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Working in batches, season a big handful of meat with salt and pepper and dredge it in the flour. Shake off the excess flour and brown meat in sauté pan until burnished on 2 sides. Transfer browned meat to a large Dutch oven or pressure cooker* with tongs and continue browning remaining meat, adding oil if necessary, and adjusting heat if flour begins to burn.

Chop 1 carrot finely, cut the others into 2-inch long sticks. Add more oil to pan, if necessary, and add the onions and chopped carrot. Saute until the onion begins to brown. Add 1/2 cup of the Guinness and bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits. Put mixture in pot with lamb. Add the remaining Guinness, bay leaf, herbs, tomato paste, and enough stock to the pot to cover the meat. Bring to a simmer over medium low and cover. Cook until the meat is nearly tender, 40 minutes.

Add the potatoes, remaining carrots, and parsnips and continue to simmer, covered, until the potatoes are tender, 30 minutes more. *If using a pressure cooker, make the stew up to the point where you add the stock, bring up to highest pressure (2nd ring on most models) and maintain pressure for 40 minutes. Release pressure, remove lid and skim any fat off top. Add the potatoes, remaining carrots and parsnips and simmer for an additional 30 minutes.

Season the stew with salt and pepper and brown sugar, if needed.

What are these new magic pots? Insta-pot maybe? Like a combo pressure cooker/slow cooker somehow. Who's got the skinny?

sorry I don't have a recipe, just a question

We just got an insta-pot. I love it; easy to set and forget. Last night we put four chicken breasts in a peanut sauce, set it for five minutes, and BAM we have salad protein for a week. Simple, fast, and easy cooking without a stove.

It cooked chicken in 5 minutes?

My wife and I have been working through this page:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/p...r-recipes.html

My favorites have been the chicken pho (posted yesterday in the regular what’s cookin thread) and the bean dishes.

We’ve made like half the things from that list and they’ve all been good. A few were slightly but noticeably less good than their simmer-all-day non-pressure-cooker versions, but what do you expect

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    It cooked chicken in 5 minutes?
    Yep. It has a “cool down” period, but the whole process wasn’t more that ten minutes. Tender, moist chicken too. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Yep. It has a “cool down” period, but the whole process wasn’t more that ten minutes. Tender, moist chicken too. Amazing.
    Think of it as the opposite of cooking at altitude. It’s like cooking in a deep, deep chasm, way below sea level. Cooking at 20,000 feet takes longer; the same dish at -20,000 takes much less time.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKuba View Post
    My wife and I have been working through this page:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/p...r-recipes.html
    I don't know how I missed that page. Serious Eats is generally one of my first 2-3 sites to check when I'm trying to figure out how to do something. I actually used the pressure cooker caramelized onions technique (the one with a touch of baking soda) the other day to make caramelized onion mashed potatoes, and remembered that I should make French Onion Soup sometime soon, while it's stupid cold outside.

I'll have to work my way through that stuff. The pho looked great.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Good thread. I recently got an instapot (unsure of the brand and I'm not walking to the kitchen right now) when I was looking for a rice cooker. So far have only used it for rice and beans to put in/with other things, but it is damn good at that.

Got an InstantPot for Christmas. We made a chicken and rice dish that was great looking forward to trying some other stuff.

Serious Eats is a good place for techniques and recipes. Caramelizing with baking soda is one of the things I learned there. You don't necessarily need pressure cooker specific recipes. Once you get the hang of it, it's very easy to adapt slow cooker and braising recipes. The main thing is timing. If you're making chili, and put the beans in with the meat for 20+ minutes, you're gonna have bean mush. So, you learn to stagger things. My only issue with pressure cookers is that I only have the one.

I use mine almost daily this time of year. Stuff I wouldn't typically make because I suck at planning ahead, I can easily do in time for dinner. Soups can be thrown together and ready to eat in 30 minutes, but they taste and feel like they've been simmering for hours. Amazing chili comes out of these things. My family challenged me to quick ribs this summer. I hit them with a quick smoke, pressure cooked them for 15 minutes, then blasted them under the broiler. They weren't as good as slow smoked ribs, but they were damn tasty and took less than 40 minutes. Rice, par-boiled potatoes, tomato sauce, grits, etc, etc.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

We have stove top pressure cookers and the instant pot. They all get used regularly, but we don't do a whole lot of "pressure cooker" recipes. We just use them to make cooking faster and easier. Like flyoverland's 5-minute chicken. The instant pot is an awesome and fast rice cooker, and sees the most use that way. I don't have time or the patience to properly slow smoke ribs most of the time, but the instant pot does the cooking and tenderizing in 10 minutes (14 minutes if the ribs are frozen), and then the gas grill adds some caramelization and flavor. If you cook with dry beans, you can skip the whole 24-hours of soaking them. Chicken stock is fast and easy, as are all kinds of soups. Going back to my roots, in Erie, PA everyone makes what they call "Ox Roast." It's shredded beef that you use to make sandwiches. With pressure cooking it takes 10 minutes of cooking rather than 4 hours. Lots of options with pressure cookers.
    "Judge me by the enemies I have made." -FDR