Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: United perosnal just plain blow

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Yea, I'm the asshole.
    Based on several years of observation, not to mention my own experience in the field of internet assholery, I'm thinking a lot of folks around here are probably gonna have to agree with that assessment.
    "Judge me by the enemies I have made." -FDR

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    And to think I *just* booked flights on United to Cabo.

Of course, my other option was Frontier...
    Here's what you need to do. Cancel your tix immediately (if they let you do that since it's soon enough). Take United or Frontier to the nearest major hub that Aeromexico serves and switch to them. WAAAAY better airline than United. FWIW, they've partnered with Delta which may make for easier bag transfers if Delta serves your market.

Quote Originally Posted by that dude who did that thing View Post
    Based on several years of observation, not to mention my own experience in the field of internet assholery, I'm thinking a lot of folks around here are probably gonna have to agree with that assessment.
    Perceptive.

Especially considering I just called myself an asshole 2 posts up.

Reminds me of the time I showed up to a United connection late because my first flight was delayed. Did the old sprint through the terminal routine and when I rolled up to the gate I could look out the window and see people were still boarding my plane. But because it was less than 10 minutes before the scheduled departure time the guy locked the jetway door and wouldn't let me and 3-4 other people board.

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Reminds me of the time I showed up to a United connection late because my first flight was delayed. Did the old sprint through the terminal routine and when I rolled up to the gate I could look out the window and see people were still boarding my plane. But because it was less than 10 minutes before the scheduled departure time the guy locked the jetway door and wouldn't let me and 3-4 other people board.
    That happened to me a couple years ago with United at an SLC transfer. Our flight was fine and we landed, and I guess the arriving gate wasn't ready for us yet so we sat on the ramp for like 30 minutes. It was a tight connection so I booked it out the door and ran across the airport to my next flight where they pulled the same crap. People were still loading! They wouldn't let me or any of the other people that were on my same previous flight on (about 10 of us). It was a later flight so no more outbound flights were available. Our freaking bags made the transfer though. We saw them loading them up and they wouldn't simply stop the guys outside to set our stuff aside. Wouldn't have slowed anything down, but they wouldn't do it. They also fought our entire group on getting us lodging. We had no clothes, no toiletries, no bags, and were essentially stranded. After about an hour of our whole group trying to work with the worthless gate agents (who also conveniently pulled a shift change in the middle of this), they finally relented and put us all in some craphole motel and gave us some little overnight bags that had a tshirt and some basic toiletries. I don't know why that was so hard for them to relent and help us out!

After multiple delays with United over the years, many of which would force you to be delayed an entire day, this was the last straw. Screw that airline. BTW, has anybody seen their Yelp and Google reviews? Hysterical. Plus their planes are mostly worn out pieces of crap. I've been on rural 3rd world buses better than some of those heaps. Probably why all the delays.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Perceptive.

Especially considering I just called myself an asshole 2 posts up.
    I'm glad we're all on the same page. Feel like we're really building community now.

That happened years ago, you interloper.

What you see is the original community trying to hold on, with widely varying rates of success. Your decision to make is if you want to help or hinder that effort.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    AIr Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Just avoid flying them to SFO.
    But you know what they say, third time's the charm!

Quote Originally Posted by that dude who did that thing View Post
    skideeppow, if it matters, I totally got your post. You took the blame in the first sentence. But you were right that what you faced was a perfect example of bureaucracy over service.

Last time I flew United, they were late leaving our destination. Meant I was a few minutes late making my connection. Got off my first plane, walked across the hall, and stood there staring at my connecting flight home, for 20 minutes, while the gate agent assured me that because the jetway door was closed there was absolutely no possible way for me to get on that plane, while it sat there, for another 20 minutes.

The gate agent then tried to explain that they would not comp my hotel room because the delay was the result of weather. In DC they had claimed we were delayed by a storm at our destination, I pointed out the window and asked "Do you see a storm, because I don't see a storm, in fact, I can count stars out there?" She eventually agreed they were going to have to comp my room, but I think it as only because, after 20 minutes of waiting, the plane finally took off, and she was expected to go somewhere else, but she couldn't do that while this one jackass of a customer wouldn't let her walk away until she comped the room.

I've avoided United for a number of years now, but it's only a matter of time before I'm forced onto one of their plans again.
    I've had that happen a couple times and ended up sleeping in the airport overnight....I get it....BUT....what kills me is that when I am ON THE PLANE....they always hold it for weather related delayed connecting passengers....sometimes up to 30-45 minutes. In the couple times it happened to me....nope....leaving on time.....door closed too late!

And don't pin it on United....its all airlines do this crap.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    That happened years ago, you interloper.

What you see is the original community trying to hold on, with widely varying rates of success. Your decision to make is if you want to help or hinder that effort.
    You think it only happens once? Community is a process not a product.

United has been stellar for me, lately ( 10+ flights in 2 years). Tokyo direct from Denver was actually pretty good.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

There was a community, then there wasn't. Lately we seem to be making some baby steps towards rebuilding it. But it's not steady, or assured. Plenty of steps backwards. I guess the question is, what do you prefer? I would have pegged you as a community guy but it often doesn't seem that way in practice.

Which is fine, do what you want. But be honest at least.

United perosnal just plain blow

Trust me when I say, United has screwed me with the Lesbo9000.

But Paul and most of the Skycaps that work for him, are good guys.

Why did you go to the counter, where you actually have interact with a United employee?

This should go in the union thread.

But why would you ever go to the counter and be served by a surly union employee, that has minimal interest in you being happy.

When you could have gone to a private contractor, “sky cap”, who’s primary remuneration, is entirely dependent on you being happy?
    Last edited by Shredhead; 11-09-2017 at 06:54 PM.

I mean, I get the need to vent, but in wanting this to go your way OP, you're not making an "ask" like you might in other aspects of the service industry (could I get more crutons on my salad?). You're making an ask in an industry full of regulation and security theater.

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    And don't pin it on United....its all airlines do this crap.
    I would disagree. I fly a lot, on lots of different airlines, and United is consistently the worst.

They once kicked my wife off a flight because they were overweight (she's 5 feet and 105 lbs soaking wet), and her coworker who was the same size. Easily could have booted someone my size off instead if it was really about weight. Cost her an entire day stranded in Denver.

There is a very good reason for their 45 minute cutoff policy at Aspen airport. Given the altitude of the airport, the pilots need a firm count on checked bags well in advance of departure so that they can do total weight estimation and make sure there is the correct amount of fuel on board. Sorry the desk agent could not explain that to you..

Actually I have no fucking idea what went wrong. I just made that shit up.

Quote Originally Posted by blomeasap View Post
    No no that was good, don't give up dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    They once kicked my wife off a flight because they were overweight (she's 5 feet and 105 lbs soaking wet), and her coworker who was the same size. Easily could have booted someone my size off instead if it was really about weight. Cost her an entire day stranded in Denver.
    Real weights aren't used. It's 1 passenger = x

Quote Originally Posted by blomeasap View Post
    There is a very good reason for their 45 minute cutoff policy at Aspen airport. Given the altitude of the airport, the pilots need a firm count on checked bags well in advance of departure so that they can do total weight estimation and make sure there is the correct amount of fuel on board. Sorry the desk agent could not explain that to you..

FTW

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Here's what you need to do. Cancel your tix immediately (if they let you do that since it's soon enough). Take United or Frontier to the nearest major hub that Aeromexico serves and switch to them. WAAAAY better airline than United. FWIW, they've partnered with Delta which may make for easier bag transfers if Delta serves your market.
    I checked - upwards of $1000 pp Denver -> Cabo on Aeromexico. At those prices, we wouldn't even bother going. I guess I'll have to roll the dice.

Skideepow, I get this. And while there aren’t commercial options other than United the new Blackbird app/service can work to get you to Denver, and at times save money over the added leg and arm United charges in season.

Download the app and see.

Other than that.... it’s Aspen, roll with it baby.

It's great to help out the customer who fucked up when it's possible, but it isn't always possible or fair to the other customers who didn't fuck up to be inconvenienced.

People leave their shit and expect everyone to stop everything to retrieve it for them. As if it wasn't there fault they left it. Then, when it doesn't turn up because someone probably stole it that's someone else's fault, too.

Sorry you missed your plane, but you were late.

I really don’t like United but they are hubbed in Denver and I travel a lot so I have the credit card and am a platinum member. They treat me pretty well as platinum and I get free checked bags and get to go through the first class line. Pretty good deal for me, but fuck flying United as a regular passenger with no status. They are now charging for carry on bags too. Ridiculous !

They have really upped their business class game with the new Polaris business class. Obviously still much better to fly Lufthansa if you are going to Europe

^^^ if you value service over price, all euro airlines > all american airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    ^^^ if you value service over price, all euro airlines > all american airlines.
    Ever flown Ryanair?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Ever flown Ryanair?
    But what do you expect for $11.00???
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.