Super fat skis: Armada Bubba vs K2 Powabunga

Ladies/Gents --

Need some opinions on the Armada Bubba's and the K2 Powabunga's. Read all the reviews online, and every TGR thread remotely mentioning either ski. Looking for people who have actually skied them, vs second hand "what I heard from my friends brothers co-worker".....

I had originally planned on getting some ON3P C&D, but due to some outside influencing factors, it looks like that wont happen. I have an OG pair of AK JJ's for regular pow days, and absolutely love them. I can rip GS turns on groomers back to the lift, and the float, smear, surf, and spin (with a lot of air) very well. Mated with Jester Pro's. Since they dont make the sick bright orange FKS, I'll prob go with the White Look 18s or another set of Pros.

These would be purely F around skis in the super deep heli/cat/hiking days. Don't need more skis, but would settle my itch for another set, be my one super fat, and I can get both relatively cheap. Can toss some old FKS 180s or FFG 14s on it.

I am leaning towards the powabungas, but the bubba price tag is tempting. Opinions welcome either way. Not interested in DPS or other brands, on topic please.

Thanks in advance.

Skied powabunga and if you like jj you will like it. It’s stable and floaty but just a big center mounted twin with rocker. Bubba is like a bigger Jj it seems and not like old arg. Have not skied it but was cat skiing in Canada and it was well liked. I just went pontoon and 138. But you jibbbers seem to like these jj type
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by steezybomber View Post
    Ladies/Gents --

Need some opinions

F around... on topic please.

skis
    Don't need more skis

Thanks in advance.

good luck

Bubbabungas

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

haha thanks for the advice guys. all good points.

I absolutely love the AK JJs, which is why I think I would like the Bubbas. But Armada tends to ski much much shorter than they are, so 188 makes me nervous.

The powabungas look awesome for all the reviews, and much more of a BC blaster. I generally dont jib in the BC, just hike, drop cliffs, and find the deepest snow possible, so the 136 is appealing.

Granted, we are only talking a few mm's here and there. The price difference is about $125, so not small. Hence really looking for experience/advice.

I wanted the C&D, but dont think 124 would be a good addition. Thanks again.

If your not a jibber and don’t ski switch then why buy either. Buy a directional ski like toon for $200
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I haven't been able to find the toon for a good deal. And I do ski switch, a lot. Love landing switch. I just stay outta park more now, less rails and spins but still like the feel of those skis. Which is why I think the AK JJ is so fun bc it's stiff enough to rip but soft enough to be playful in the BC. I have a pair of Chets too that I love, just way to short (183 -- got them for a steak from a friend so now just F around EC skis).

You asked for opinions, so here's one (albeit not very helpful):

I skied only 1 hour on 188cm Bubbas at Squaw, on a fresh powder layer on top of bulletproof snow, plus I skied it in other variable surface conditions as I dropped lower in elevation during a storm.

I skied only 2 hours on 184cm Powabunga at Whistler. No soft powder on those days, and somehow I ended up skiing as many groomer laps as I did off-piste laps on those days.

My opinion is I liked both skis, but not enough to buy them, because I like other ski models even more. And I wished I could try the 191cm Powabunga instead of the 184cm. I prefer the Bubba, because the tail felt a little more supportive for landing airs, while at the same time a little more slarvy than the Powabunga tail. But yeah, Powabungas with wide tail were more fun on groomers...but you don't buy either of these skis for groomers anyway.

BTW, I prefer Armada's 190cm MagicJ to their 188cm Bubba. And I prefer K2's 189cm Pon2oon & 191cm Pinnacle 118 to their 184cm Powabunga.

Sorry, that's all I got.

Last edited by Vitamin I; 11-08-2017 at 09:31 PM.
    - TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Have you tried the lotus 138? For pure powder I'm not sure I've skied anything better. I have flex 3 202 pures. Yes I know you said no dps but 138s can be had for cheap in gear swap. Worth a try at least. But I'm very directional and obviously a dentist. They do have a twin tip.

What about some of the big Eric Pollard skis (Magnum opus?)

Praxis protest with a softer layup?

4frnt inthayne?

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post

Praxis protest with a softer layup?
    ProTest! There is a sick pair in GS right now. I would describe them as a playful charger. I'm a directional skier but dudes ski them switch. I really like the fact they can be playful and jibby then mash the gas and just fucking rage.
    I know you only wanted suggestions on the two you mentioned,op, but this is TGR.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    What about some of the big Eric Pollard skis
    You’ll have more fun on these. Trust me I’m not a dentist.

I skied a deep day on the 188 Bubba in Japan and thought it sucked. Heavy and the extra width didn't give any extra float. My 192 Bent Chetlers floated better and are way more fun. Never been on Powabunga.

Have you looked at Praxis Pows? Those show up cheap around here regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    I skied a deep day on the 188 Bubba in Japan and thought it sucked. Heavy and the extra width didn't give any extra float. My 192 Bent Chetlers floated better and are way more fun. Never been on Powabunga.

Have you looked at Praxis Pows? Those show up cheap around here regularly.
    I don't agree with this. While I love the bent chetler more than the armadas, I have skied the JJ, bubba, and arg. The bubba IS a bit heavy, but if you ski them like a GS ski in blower pow they don't disappoint. They ski like the JJs, very slicey and quick, but with more width.

In this case I would actually give a vote for the bent chetler though. They have an actually effective camber and sidecut zone, which makes them much more lively.

Yo, what burger should I get? McDonalds or Burger King? Let’s narrow everything down to the two least tasteful options first.

Praxis Protest
    Find some ON3P C&Ds
    Black Crows Nocta
    Blizzard Spur
    Moment Comi
    Line Pescado

Or get one of those two skis you mentioned. Go with the Bubba. 188 doesn’t matter, it’s a fuckaround ski.

RE: Armada Bubbas
    Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    They ski like the JJs, very slicey and quick, but with more width.
    Hmmmm...that's a bit disconcerting...I've skied the JJ for the past 6 years as part of my quiver...and when it gets bottomless or upside down in pow, the tips dive horrendously. I've constructed tip extenders to mitigate the issue and they now feel great and more balanced in those conditions...i can fully drive the tips.

Soooo, the question is, do the Bubba's dive in the aformentioned conditions or is the tip dive proof with full forward pressure skiing technique?
    Master of mediocrity.

I never had tip dive on 185 JJs, nor 188 Bubbas. Not even the slightest amount. And I’m a big dude.

Thanks for all of the opinions. Agreed, working on getting the C&D. Long story.

I have the OG 114 Jeffries, the AK JJ, and some (short) Chet's. So anything in that 115-120 range i have covered, hence me looking for options +130. I will take a look at some of the recs.

And I disagree with the tips diving on the JJs, they have floated just fine for me, but I have never skied snorkel deep. Love those things.

Mainly I just want another paid of skis, these were the fattest, and cheapest, and I like how some of their counterparts ski.

Appreciated. Keep it all coming.

Off the bat should iterate my obs are from skiing on the original JJ and A.K. JJ. Don't know if the 2.0 versions float better.

Interesting to note about the lack of tip dive of your experience on the JJ's...I work at a heli op and had em out in all sorts of conditions...like i said, it's during bottomless days or upside down powder days that the tips dive. Similar reports from guests and guides. In right side up snow even it's it's quite deep they ski fine in stock form. All my obs are from skiing them on the recommended line.

For an a/b comparo day, I took out the A.K. JJ's on a day with deep upside down snow, they dove too. Moved the binding back 2cms from recommended mount, better, but tips still dove. Grabbed my regular JJ's with tip extenders. No tip dive and they skied awesome.

I'm 200 pounds with pack and skied em with dynafit mercury boots, no tongue fyi. For reference, I've also experienced the dive phenomenon with 176cms K2 Darksides but bent more rocker into the tip and that eliminated it. Had the 2015 rossi super 7's in a 188 and tips dove with them too, got rid of em. k2 coomback 188's tip dive. K2 sidestash 188 no tip dive.

I still love the JJ's though, goto ski for the past 6 seasons; so easy to ski and fun...impressed with how they've held up after taking severe beatings, season after season.
    Last edited by swissiphic; 11-12-2017 at 08:50 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.