Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Inserts in BMT's?

Other than running the risk of fucking up really expensive skis is there any reason not to put binding inserts into BMT's? I got two pair of skis but only one pair of Kingpins.

Do it. Inserts are much stronger and you can use one binding for multiple skis.
    But remember this... You'll never be able to swap bindings as easily as a snowboarder can, so don't expect to be able to. It's a pretty fiddly process swapping alpine bindings.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Go for it. Use two part marine epoxy.

LT, I have this on my agenda for this week or next for BMT 95s. Can you post back here with your experience and I'll do the same?

Seth

If my balls get all swelled up enough to do it I will post my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
    But remember this... You'll never be able to swap bindings as easily as a snowboarder can, so don't expect to be able to. It's a pretty fiddly process swapping alpine bindings.
    ehhhh idk. If you are using the same boots it's pretty fast for me to switch out my Vipecs between skis. Sure it's 8 more screws than a snowboarder, but it only slows down when I have to reapply thread sealer.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Mount them such that you can (un)screw them without adjusting the binding. At least for dynafits i seem to remember that this implies moving the heel a bit back (or forward). Dunno about kingpins. Spyderjon will know. He knows shit.

Shouldn’t be a problem w Kingpins. Their mounting footprint should fit into the mounting zone recommended by Volkl.
    "... when I turn, I just hope it hits me in the face."--Shroder Baker/Under the Influence

I've got three sets from the last three years all with inserts, one even was set up for 3 different bindings and have had zero issues!

Three sets of BMTs with inserts? What bindings?

Been combination of Dynafits, G3's dukes. Pretty much sold on the BMT and G3 setup these days.

Doing kingpins with inserts will suck. You have to remove the heal off the track every time and reset the forward pressure. Also the screw track is plastic that is likely not designed to be used over and over like this.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    Doing kingpins with inserts will suck. You have to remove the heal off the track every time and reset the forward pressure. Also the screw track is plastic that is likely not designed to be used over and over like this.
    Easier then Dynafit. The plastic that market uses is no problem either if you are using screws with the proper head. Also if I recall correctly marker uses a glass reinforced nylon that’s got a pretty high glass content. In my experience ive worn out the heel price spring before having an issue with the plastic from binder swaps.

I used to swap my Lord SPs frequently and had no issue. I have cracked the plastic on speed radicals.

The radical 2.0 heels are horrible, IMO. Either that or I'm missing something obvious. I can't figure out a way to easily get at the front screws on the heel piece. Hopefully someone will come along and tell me where I'm going wrong.

Seth

I more referring to the worm screw tracks since the heel unit will need to be removed and reinstalled every time you move the binding.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I gotcha. That was metal on the Lords.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    I ...The radical 2.0 heels are horrible, IMO. Either that or I'm missing something obvious. I can't figure out a way to easily get at the front screws on the heel piece. Hopefully someone will come along and tell me where I'm going wrong........Seth
    Use a rubber band to partially hold the brake levers both up and in a bit. The ends of the levers need to be about level with the skis sidewall at which point the front mounting holes are accessible with a small diameter screwdriver. If you're using insert screws with a no.3 pozi head then the screwdriver tip will probably be too big in diameter - although the insert screws with no.3 pozi heads are probably too tall for use on the Rad 2 heel.

I know it's not trendy to read instructuons but tthe binding comes will a pair of rubber bands and their use to access the front screws is fully detailed in the mounting/set-up instructions that come with the binding.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    I know it's not trendy to read instructuons but tthe binding comes will a pair of rubber bands and their use to access the front screws is fully detailed in the mounting/set-up instructions that come with the binding.
    Thanks Jon.

I bought those bindings from some fly-by-night establishment in England. They were a display model, so didn't come in their box or with instructions. :-) I'm kidding - you made that great deal possible for me and I appreciate it greatly.

That said, I believe that you mentioned something like this already in an earlier email. When I did this in the past, I couldn't get my driver into that small slot. The other difference is that I was trying to do this with the brakes locked in tour mode. Your suggestion mentions using the rubber bands which I haven't tried but will soon when I swap again.

Seth

If you're using insert screws with a no.3 pozi head then the screwdriver tip will probably be too big in diameter - although the insert screws with no.3 pozi heads are probably too tall for use on the Rad 2 heel.

Not if you use the proper screws..... http://www.bindingfreedom.com/pozi-flat-head/

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Thanks Jon.

I bought those bindings from some fly-by-night establishment in England. They were a display model, so didn't come in their box or with instructions........
    Seth
    LOL, I'd forgotten about that.

I'll send you a pic when I'm back in my shop tomorrow.

Not a problem -. I hope the humor came through. I'm (now) using a small 3mm Allen instead of a torx when I had the stock screws, so I'm confident that it can work - just haven't figured out the right way to do it yet.

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    Not if you use the proper screws..... http://www.bindingfreedom.com/pozi-flat-head/
    It's nothing to do with the screws, it's the larger shaft diameter of a no.3 pozi screwdriver in the small access hole.

In the UK/Yurp we use a no. 2 pozi which is the standard/correct size slot for a metric M5 flat head. The Binding Freedom 'small head' scrww is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist here.

Here ya go Seth:

Thanks Jon. Yeah, I have no excuse now. I'll give it a shot this week.

Seth

Here ya go Seth:
    This is going to make my life so much easier. I have inserts for Rad 2s in three pairs of skis. Thanks for the photo!