Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 EPIC powder days

13 46.43%
  • 100 mediocre ski days

15 53.57%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quality vs. Quantity

Would you rather ski 100 days in a season, but never have the conditions be more than mediocre- and some days downright awful.
    Or, you only get 10 ski days in a season, but they are all time, hero snow, blower pow fests?

Make the 10, 50 and I'll take the lower

I surely prefer quality over quantity.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Nope, only 10.
    But we are talking like PERFECT conditions. Bluebird. Not to chilly. Bottomless fluff. Not to crowded at the hill. The kind of day that you remember your whole life.

With how good skis are these days? Pfft I'll take 100 mediocre-shit days over 10 epic days. That also means 100 great excuses to drink beer at the hill vs 10. Git sum son.
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 720
Size:  20.0 KB

10 blue bird pow days without even hesitating... for the same reason that a few days after a storm I tend to go for a few great backcountry pow laps instead of skiing leftovers at the resort.

To me, its the whole “A bad day of skiing is better than a good day of just about anything else.”
    I’m choosing the 100. Easy.

Quality vs. Quantity

I’ll just take 100 days in a normal ski season. With that, there should be at least 25 “great” days, and 50 “good” days, as long as I’m at the right resort.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I suppose this thread/ question might not be as interesting to someone who regularly skis close to or more than 100 days/ season.

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    I’ll just take 100 days in a normal ski season. With that, there should be at least 25 “great” days, and 50 “good” days, as long as I’m at the right resort.
    Thats a good point. Thanks for the thoughtful response.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMan View Post
    With how good skis are these days? Pfft I'll take 100 mediocre-shit days over 10 epic days. That also means 100 great excuses to drink beer at the hill vs 10. Git sum son.
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 720
Size:  20.0 KB
    Now thats interesting. How would the quality of the skis effect your decision??

Made it a poll. Lets see those votes!

Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthmafia View Post
    Now thats interesting. How would the quality of the skis effect your decision??
    Skis are so good now that there's no such thing as shitty snow.

I'll take 100 days of Utah skiing
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

It's a stupid hypothetical that has no connection to reality. The more days you ski, the more great ski days you'll have. Throwing out fantasies re the "ideal bottomless pow day, not too cold, bluebird" is armchair dreamer poser shit. If you can't find great enjoyment in less-than-perfect dry pow conditions, that's your problem.

I love skiing knee deep pow in bluebird conditions, of course. But I also love a long corn tour in June, 40km of classic XC skiing with Honey, a 5-hour fat fishscale slog with a nice picnic on the high point and working to find 50 turns on the exit, wet pow days on Chair 2 with my buds, a 3-day tour with snow camps to bag a big remote peak, working up and over a col via a few nasty turns to find the goods, etc., etc.

I find great joy exploring mountainous terrain on skis, whatever the snow conditions.

Skiing: It's all good

Bluebird. Not to[sic] chilly. Bottomless fluff.
    Warm and Sunny fucks the fluff up.

Jong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

You gotta use your imagination a little. JONG. This is the PERFECT day. Not too bitter cold, but not warm enough to “f*** the fluff up,” as you so eloquently put it.

You gotta use your imagination a little..
    Only if you ski only 10 days a year.

The rest of us don't have to imagine.

Oh wait, your in the PNW, so you’ve probably never actually skied real fluff.

Hell yeah, I'll take reality every time

Brit has skied more pow than you could ever fantasize about, dreamer boy

you’ve probably never actually skied real fluff.
    I just did........on Sunday.

Yeah, we found some nice cold fluff this weekend (while DSM was staring at his computer). It would have been nice to have had a bottom under the fluff ; ) but pretty damn fun for early November

Quantity over Quality every time. I just simply love skiing whether it's blower pow, breakable crust, rain on snow, bulletproof, 100 vertical foot gravel pit laps hitting rocks every turn, golf course hills in tele on xc gear, big mountain missions, couloirs, faces, corn, schmoo...etc...it's all good, 'epecially with the advent of modern ski touring boots and fat skis, there really aren't fully completely downright horrid ski days anymore...if it's covered in white, I'll ski it and will be skiing it with a shit eating grin on my face. Plus, the less than optimal conditions hone yer skills and keep them honed for the magic days of PPBB (perfect powder blue bird) cranking up the fun meter to 11...i'm happy with 10 but 11 is cool once in a while. Irregardless, I feel humbly grateful for every blessed opportunity I can slide my feet into me boots and click into me binders and slide down something white. Any qualms or quibbles that enter the mind are but minor first world problems.
    Last edited by swissiphic; 11-07-2017 at 05:34 PM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Very cool! I’m just teasing, BTW. I do’nt take this place nearly as seriously as some people here.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Quantity over Quality every time. I just simply love skiing weather it's blower pow, breakable crust, rain on snow, bulletproof, 100 vertical foot gravel pit laps hitting rocks every turn, golf course hills in tele on xc gear, big mountain missions, couloirs, faces, corn, schmoo...etc...it's all good, 'epecially with the advent of modern ski touring boots and fat skis, there really aren't fully completely downright horrid ski days anymore...if it's covered in white, I'll ski it and will be skiing it with a shit eating grin on my face. Plus, the less than optimal conditions hone yer skills and keep them honed for the magic days of PPBB (perfect powder blue bird) cranking up the fun meter to 11...i'm happy with 10 but 11 is cool once in a while.
    I like you. Bro hugs...

And you live where?