Salomon X-Alp Explore / S-Lab X-Alp boot, sort of review.

Who comes up with these names? Anyway, my local shop is stocking the new Salomon X-Alp Explore boot, similar but slightly softer and cheaper than the much hyped new Salomon S-Lab X-Alp boot. So I tried them on, in my usual size 28.5. WOW. I’ve bitched forever about how ski boots seem designed without consideration for any feet I’ve seen, but these ones are. They’ve a nice low instep and narrow heel that plays well with my (Raichle Flexon original, Dynafit Mercury) feet, and my chicken legs would benefit from an intuition liner to take up volume, but the toe box is actually asymmetrical, like a Birkenstock sandal, like my feet. Unmolded and without footbeds they still felt amazing. If you’ve read the reviews then you know they’re light as fuck, and provide an incredible ROM. The Explores I tried on don’t seem supportive enough for the skiing I do , but maybe the S-Labs are, and for something that fits this well, I’m motivated to find out. Unfortunately, something this specialized probably won’t stay in production for long, and there’s no way I’ll spend $1000.

I also tried on the new Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 130, which fitted like a standard medium volume overlap boot, and seemed like it would handle short walks.

Don't they fit pretty much the same as Procline?

I also tried on the boot and really enjoyed them (in a 27.5 though). Very comfy even though I have wide feet, I echo that the toe shape is really excellent. I didn't find the heel hold to be as great as you say, but I have super skinny ankles.

Yeah I feel like between the 2 models that Salomon offers and the 4 different iterations that Arcteryx offers there is going to have to be some sku reduction somewhere. Because 6 shades of grey in a market that already has some awesome lightweight but not race touring boots is a lot of shades....

And yeah that instep on them badboys does not have a lot of volume. I have a high instep and it was already hurting me just standing in a store trying them on. Which I wonder how working in that area with the gaiter bonded there would work. Sounds like it could be a headache/ future warranty issue.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Which brings up another question - if the molds are the most expensive part, why not just sell a couple models at a more reasonable price? The volume increase would probably offset the lost margin-per-item. I think these would be a great boot for casual fun days in the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Which brings up another question - if the molds are the most expensive part, why not just sell a couple models at a more reasonable price? The volume increase would probably offset the lost margin-per-item. I think these would be a great boot for casual fun days in the mountains.
    I almost wonder if the arcteryx boot will be discontinued if they just ground the extra ribs into the procline molds :P

Although since they share the same cuff mold...so 1/2 the number of new molds to into the Salomon version

Bought a pair of S-Lab X-Alps off The Jongiest. Screwed around with several Intuition liners, but couldn’t get the fit I wanted, so am sticking with the stock liners for now. Have now had them out for 4 days of touring, all pretty substantial days, 4” - 12” of fresh snow on a firm base, steep chutes, tight trees, early season obstacles. I was looking for comfort, and these deliver. I wore them for the hour drive to the Pass, toured and skied hard all day, wore them home, and they felt like slippers the whole time. Most significantly, the asymmetric toe box doesn’t crush my toes into a point like my Mercuries. Everything about walking, climbing, and breaking trail is next level, like I now have an extra gear (or two). Transitions are easy, no tongue to swap, and minimal buckle adjustments: I’ve been leaving the top buckle in position, and clamping the bottom buckle down one notch for descents. Ski performance has been just fine. I was initially nervous, as they’re significantly less supportive than anything I’ve ever skied in since I was a telemarker (back in my very distant past), but with some slight adjustments in technique, ie. slightly exaggerated ankle, knee, and hip flex, and focusing more on the soles of my feet rather than driving my shins, they work great. I’m making the same turns at the same speed with the same control as usual. Current skis are so easy (I’ve been on G3 Synapse 109’s and DPS Wailer 112s) that it’s hard to go wrong. Granted I’m not hucking, or charging in firm conditions, but for the 95% powder touring that I do, these are more than adequate. I was thinking of keeping my Mercuries for more aggressive skiing, but these are so much more comfortable, that likely won’t happen. Intuition liners would be a great upgrade (more positive heel hold and warmer) but I’ll wait till I can get to their shop in Vancouver before guessing again on fit. Durability is obviously an unknown at this point, but I’m hoping for the best.

Great news about the toe box fit. Just finished a round of four punches per foot to get the toebox/forefoot of my Vulcans just right. How do the X-Alps fit on the instep? Low, average or tall?
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Great news about the toe box fit. Just finished a round of four punches per foot to get the toebox/forefoot of my Vulcans just right. How do the X-Alps fit on the instep? Low, average or tall?
    I have a low instep, and they fit perfectly. My local boot fitter told me it’s a challenge getting them to work for anyone with an average instep. Otherwise, the toe box is spacious, the heel seems relatively snug, and the lower leg adjusts over a wide range.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Don't they fit pretty much the same as Procline?
    Pretty much exactly the same

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Intuition liners would be a great upgrade (more positive heel hold and warmer) but I’ll wait till I can get to their shop in Vancouver before guessing again on fit. Durability is obviously an unknown at this point, but I’m hoping for the best.
    Get the low-volume liner! I tried to stuff my medium volumes in the Procline and X-Alp and no-go. It's way better with the Intuitions.

I have a low instep, and they fit perfectly. My local boot fitter told me it’s a challenge getting them to work for anyone with an average instep. Otherwise, the toe box is spacious, the heel seems relatively snug, and the lower leg adjusts over a wide range.
    It basically crushes people with average or high insteps. I have been told it'll hold a punch but the shop fit will hurt

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Pretty much exactly the same

Get the low-volume liner! I tried to stuff my medium volumes in the Procline and X-Alp and no-go. It's way better with the Intuitions.

It basically crushes people with average or high insteps. I have been told it'll hold a punch but the shop fit will hurt
    I tried fitting LV Dreamliners in them, but they’re significantly longer than the stock Salomon liner in the same size, and from trying them un-molded, I’m feeling there’s a better Intuition model/size out there.

I tried fitting LV Dreamliners in them, but they’re significantly longer than the stock Salomon liner in the same size, and from trying them un-molded, I’m feeling there’s a better Intuition model/size out there.
    Tom will definitely sort you out. I put LV ProTours sz 26 in the sz 27 Proclines. I'd imagine it will work

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I had Tom from Intuition fit me with Pro-tour liners. Measured me up and dropped to a 27 LV liner in the 28 shells. They fit and ski great, and are a significant upgrade to the stock Salomon liners. He told me that Arcteryx/Salomon asked to use Intuition liners, but that that Scarpa has exclusive rights to Intuition liners for touring boots.

Long bump. But are they still making this for 20-21? Not on website, has it been discontinued?
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Long bump. But are they still making this for 20-21? Not on website, has it been discontinued?
    It certainly appears so. More evidence that anything that fits and works for me is certain be discontinued (if only I could monetize this) within the year. Still seems pretty counterintuitive given the publicity Cody’s been generating on the 50 project, but perhaps (all just idle speculation on my part) they’re just preparing to release a new and improved version as per his boot mods.

I don't know why Salomon would incorporate Cody Townsend's mods for the production boot. If you want to add a tongue and extra buckle, you would probably be better off with a bigger boot. The mods make sense for him because his only other option is the MTN which is way heavier.

BTW, if anybody in SLC wants to try out the X-Alp Explores I have a pair in 27.5 that I would sell for a song. I love the low instep and they walk amazing, I just can't get the cuffs tight enough for my skinny chicken legs.

It certainly appears so. More evidence that anything that fits and works for me is certain be discontinued (if only I could monetize this) within the year. Still seems pretty counterintuitive given the publicity Cody’s been generating on the 50 project, but perhaps (all just idle speculation on my part) they’re just preparing to release a new and improved version as per his boot mods.
    Yeah just tried it on, works pretty well for my
    Narrow situation as well. Might settle for a sized down backland.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I don't know why Salomon would incorporate Cody Townsend's mods for the production boot. If you want to add a tongue and extra buckle, you would probably be better off with a bigger boot. The mods make sense for him because his only other option is the MTN which is way heavier.

BTW, if anybody in SLC wants to try out the X-Alp Explores I have a pair in 27.5 that I would sell for a song. I love the low instep and they walk amazing, I just can't get the cuffs tight enough for my skinny chicken legs.
    A boot that fits and walks almost as well the SLabs, but a little stiffer and more supportive sounds perfect to me. Although as previously noted, that likely guarantees it’d be a dud in the market. I’m trying the Hoji 110s this year, maybe they’ll be great.

I think a 4th pair of touring boots would be a domestic disaster for me but I am pretty curious...

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    I think a 4th pair of touring boots would be a domestic disaster for me but I am pretty curious...
    I just ordered a pair of Hawx XTD 130s because of your advice (sadly the ZGTPs are too big for my skinny legs), taking the X-Alps off my hands is the least you could do. I'd trade them for a pair of nice skins or a 25-30l pack

I just ordered a pair of Hawx XTD 130s because of your advice (sadly the ZGTPs are too big for my skinny legs), taking the X-Alps off my hands is the least you could do. I'd trade them for a pair of nice skins or a 25-30l pack
    Really? My ZGTP's are awesome for my skinny lower legs.

I'm probably in the 0.1 percentile for leg circumference, but I am lucky that Atomic accommodates me

I assume the question is yes, but for try on purposes do the lab x-alp and the x-alp explore - fit the same?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    I assume the question is yes, but for try on purposes do the lab x-alp and the x-alp explore - fit the same?
    Yes.

^thx

fuck that noise.

gmen.