Is My Fork Toast?

2013 Fox Evolution CTD 32 Fork has the right hand side upper poking through the crown upon compression. Fox says can’t be repaired and needs new uppers for $200.

WWMD?

That VT-Free wicked smaht

And just for fun

No not a Wife, GF or otherwise
    Last edited by Cabinfever; 11-06-2017 at 04:21 PM.
    That Don't Make No Sense

http://suspensionwerx.com/

prices in CND funds, if anyone has parts or can work magic its them

Most would post a picture so we could all see the broken fork.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinfever View Post
    2013 Fox Evolution CTD 32 Fork has the right hand side upper poking through the crown upon compression. Fox says can’t be repaired and needs new uppers for $200.

WWMD?
    You mean the top of the stanchion is sticking up, out of the crown?

Heh, yeah that's fucked.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I have a 2013 fox ctd 32, tapered head tube sitting around, pm me if interested-

Quote Originally Posted by zlatham View Post
    I have a 2013 fox ctd 32, tapered head tube sitting around, pm me if interested-
    That would be sweet but unfortunately she’s straight.
    That Don't Make No Sense

You'd better hope your fork ain't toast... 'cause with a straight steerer, if it *is* toast, you're fooked. For the most part.

WWMD?

That VT-Free wicked smaht

Does that threaded part (poking above the crown) move up/down as you compress/extend the fork?

If you need to locate a replacement 1 1/8" straight steerer 29er fork, and it happens to be 100mm, and it also happens to be a Q/R dropout... this is still available from Performance. I bought one last month on a sale for around $260 -- watch their site, they run random sales and %-off codes.
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._1184309_-1___
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

That looks bad, stripped threads in the crown?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    That looks bad, stripped threads in the crown?
    Appears so. Have not taken it apart yet.

Yes the stanchion moves up and down through the crown.
    That Don't Make No Sense

That just looks unthreaded
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

There is a lack of metal shards ect. in the threads for sure. Maybe it did unthread and taking it to a shop........ Shop saying it'd fucked....... possible

cabin, did you try threading it back in?
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

If it was just unthreaded, the stanchion wouldn't move up/down as the fork is compressed. The stanchion is press-fit into the crown. The unthreaded cap screws inside the stanchion.

How about JB Welding it back in place?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Don’t think it unthreaded. Was seated, snug and solid - until it was not.

Probably will not have a chance to take apart till next week

Was thinking might be able to clean threads well then use a little JB Weld kinda like loc-tite on steroids.

Or might just send back to Fox for new uppers. Gonna sleep on it.
    That Don't Make No Sense

While a bike shop probably won't be able to help if the female threads are stripped, a good machinist might be able to. Especially if it's a machinist who works on moto suspension.

<snip>

Or might just send back to Fox for new uppers. Gonna sleep on it.
    I'd find something else. Those Fox 32s were utter shite as far as I could tell. Perhaps straight-steerer 29'er forks are easier to come by than 26'er?

Is My Fork Toast?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I'd find something else. Those Fox 32s were utter shite as far as I could tell. Perhaps straight-steerer 29'er forks are easier to come by than 26'er?
    Hear you and can’t disagree - this might be the answer. Thoughts?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/m.../rp-prod158510
    That Don't Make No Sense

You can find the X-Fusion Slide RL2 with a straight steerer. Check ebay or the online shops. It's not gonna knock your socks off but it'll definitely be better than an evolution damper Fox. I'm not sure how it'd stack up to that Manitou, someone else can chime in on that.

So that top cap just unscrewed all on its own while the bike was sitting idle somewhere? Or it worked its way loose over many rides but was not noticeable as it was happening? And the stanchion moves up & down w/in the crown?

I got a NOS Manitou Marvel Pro 29 with 1 1/8 steerer and QR lowers for my SS. I like it. But I don't weigh much. It replaced a Fox F29. I liked the Marvel enough to get a Mattoc for my 26 trail bike.

Is My Fork Toast?

[QUOTE=creaky fossil;5151464]So that top cap just unscrewed all on its own while the bike was sitting idle somewhere? Or it worked its way loose over many rides but was not noticeable as it was happening? And the stanchion moves up & down w/in the crown?

Don’t think it worked it’s way loose. I enjoy tinkering on my bike and would have noticed.... unless the female side was sliding down into the Stanchion. For fun I just put a wrench on it and tightened it back into place. A couple of pogo’s in the garage pushed it back out. Yup stanchion slides through crown. Its fooked.

Thanks for thoughts on Manitou.
    That Don't Make No Sense

Is My Fork Toast?

Manitou Marvel 32 Comp bought, installed and ridden twice. Early thought is yes it’s a better ride than the Fox. Bumped travel from 100mm to 120mm and did not die.
    That Don't Make No Sense

Bueno. Plenty of video help from Manitou on service here. Helpful CS guys at main office too. If you care about tuning, damper shimstack can be tuned, Marvel comes with an XC tune that's less supple on small stuff.

Wipers/seals will get slipperier after a few rides, you may find yourself bumping PSI 15% or so after that happens.

Did you get it up to any decent speeds in rocky-rooty-rutty? That's what impressed me about the Marvel. The chassis obviously is pinner for fast bumpy/choppy stuff, but the damper felt smooth, controlled.

Is My Fork Toast?

Yup, my local ride is world record roots with some tech mixed in. The Manitou was noticeably more supple. Gonna leave it stock for now and play with the tune over time. Thanks.
    That Don't Make No Sense