Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I miss reusable master links.
    Shimano chain w/one-time use pin? Use a SRAM or KMC reusable link. Both work fine on a Shimano chain (so long as it's the right one, e.g., 10-sp. link for 10-sp. chain)

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    There's your problem. Only the pin interface needs to be lubed, the rest of the chain could be dry and function perfectly fine. The excess sitting on your chain is what is getting things nasty. Take care to remove the excess and you'll be a lot happier.
    Truly, the most finicky and precise bicycle owner completely disassembles his chain, degreases it, autoclaves it, and then applies a microfilm coating to all matching surfaces, under a microscope. Then he dye-tests coverage under a black light. If everything is copacetic, he reassembles the chain in a sterile box and transports it to the bicycle only after doing a pre-op surgical scrub of his hands.

Ultra sonic cleaner then full hot paraffin wax bath.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    Truly, the most finicky and precise bicycle owner completely disassembles his chain, degreases it, autoclaves it, and then applies a microfilm coating to all matching surfaces, under a microscope. Then he dye-tests coverage under a black light. If everything is copacetic, he reassembles the chain in a sterile box and transports it to the bicycle only after doing a pre-op surgical scrub of his hands.
    You're on the right track.

Sheldon Brown has the ultimate chain cleaning method:
    https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I confess, Sheldon's little story was something I read long ago, I copped it fully as inspiration, modernized with microparticles, but it's still a Denis Leary to his Bill Hicks.

The addition of the autoclave is a tiny dry fly presented to wily old brown trout who ignore most everything passing them by unless it's interesting or calorie-laden enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post

I have a one burner electric stove in the garage and a coffee can of old wax and paraffin that I heat up and liquify.

I'm using that setup to do wax batik and tiedye so i'm gona just stick with the little bottles of the liquid wax, man
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

wait a minute its not a 10 minute procedure ?

yeah when you decide to go wax initialy getting all the grease and oil out of the chain is a big job, I used simple green in the chain scrubber following up with a can of aerosol brake cleaner but I don't see needing to do that again ... so much cleaner
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    I used a paraffin / bees wax combo in crock pot for 2 full seasons, on 3 of my bikes... I found that the intense cleaning process was only necessary initially to remove and grease/oil.

it took alot playing around to get the right beeswax/ paraffin ratio ... too much beeswax, collected dirt, but too much paraffin wouldn't last. In the end, I could just throw the dirty chain in the crock pot and let the wax go to work. the dirt would settle out at the bottom. I didn't wax it any more frequently than I would have lubed it, but the challenging part was staying on top of my maintenance. If you forget that your chain needs lube, you can just toss any lube on at the trail head ... to wax , its like an hour long process ..as you need to melt your wax, let it sit, and then let the chain cool... and the first ride on a freshly waxed chain, there is decreased shifting performance, until the wax breaks in... to lessen this, just do a quick blast with a heat gun (on low) while the chain is moving.

Overall, I didn't notice any more (or less) wear than usual and my drivetrain was always super clean.
    😳

I don't actually do the ultra sonic and hot wax, was just tossing it out there.

With the price of Eagle cassettes I think I'll be looking at a more rigorous drivetrain maintenance plan to extend the life of the cassette.

dah fuq

Kerosene is a great cleaner and cheap. Get it by the jug in camping section. I tried some bike lubes, but I am back to Dupont Chain Saver. Never picks up dirt, drive train runs smooth and quiet, and does not fling off(more of a motorcycle thing). Progold is great for pliers though...

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Nevermind scrub.

The entertainment here is sufficient.
    Trust me, you aren't missing much.

Save it for the winter ahead.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

This turned into quite the thread lol!

Quote Originally Posted by ADKmike View Post
    This turned into quite the thread lol!
    I hope you're wiping!

EVERY time!!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I think it’s worth a discussion of what people are wiping with. Seems a standard paper towel like Bounty or Brawny are just too flimsy and linty.
    However many are in a shit ton.

^^ Your mom’s old undies work quite well.

Was not wiping properly, have since corrected that issue. Thanks guys.

Fuck it. I'm never cleaning or lubing my chain again.
    Ride it til it breaks and then I'll go buy a new bike.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I hope you're wiping!

EVERY time!!
    That's what I keep telling my three year old daughter anyway...

And we haven't even gotten into checking your chain for wear and frequency of replacement!

IMO, replacing that before it gets too worn is just as if not more important than cleaning for prolonging the life of your cassette and rings.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

My Park chain wear indicator tool lives next to my bottle of Finish line dry. Going to check my chain wear in a few minutes when I head out for more riding and trail work. Gorgeous day!!!!

New chain every spring....used to be spring and mid summer but I️ don’t get after it like I️ Used to. If you wait until it’s worn on the indicator the cassette damage is already done.....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Wasn't there someone in here who used to talk about having like 3 active chains per bike? 2 soaking in degreaser while the 3rd was in use for like 30 days? Extend the life of the chainring and cassette maybe?
    That's hardcore commitment. The only thing I'd change is to have 1 in degreaser and the other in the wax can.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Wasn't there someone in here who used to talk about having like 3 active chains per bike? 2 soaking in degreaser while the 3rd was in use for like 30 days? Extend the life of the chainring and cassette maybe?
    That's hardcore commitment. The only thing I'd change is to have 1 in degreaser and the other in the wax can.
    You can extend the life of your cassette and chainring(s) buy SIMPLY using a chain till the chain wear indicator tells you to get a new chain, then just swap to the new chain and yer done. No need to have 3 chains and creating needless extra work for oneself. I go at least 3 chain swaps on a cassette and chainring.

Running a a chain and cassette/rings till everything is worn out is certainly one way to do it, but shifting/power transfer/ride quality go DH for the back half of the drivetrain life where if yer swapping the chain before it reaches its stretch limit then yer always riding a nice performing tight drivetrain with WAY less of a chance of catastrophic chain snap if you wear out everything together.

Chains are much cheaper than changing chain/cassette/rings altogether.

It's funny, I was just thinking what a shame it was that this thread's inspiration and Rog spent so little time together. Epic. It could have been epic.