Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Fucking lube

FFS! What the hell is wrong with you ultrasonic cleaning, cotton flossing, hot wax dipping, stale old fucks. I haven't cleaned my chain in at least a month and I guarantee I ride more than you do.

Huh? They're aluminum, dumbass.

Looks like some fine desert dirt to me. Count me envious.

Drivetrain Cleaning Frequency

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    FFS! What the hell is wrong with you ultrasonic cleaning, cotton flossing, hot wax dipping, stale old fucks. I haven't cleaned my chain in at least a month and I guarantee I ride more than you do.
    If that’s your chain after one month I guarantee you don’t... or you’re riding on paved bike paths.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    If that’s your chain after one month I guarantee you don’t... or you’re riding on paved bike paths.
    That's my chain after 3 months. What else you got?

Drivetrain Cleaning Frequency

So... 3 months on a bike path? ;-) Seriously, if I didn’t clean my chain for a month where I ride it would barely work at that point.

And fine, maybe you ride somewhere that’s super packed without a lot of loose and or wet dirt or moon dust, but that doesn't mean it applies to all of us.
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 11-11-2017 at 08:15 AM.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

^ or his/her chain is super dry and doesn't pick shit up, like a well cleaned chain ought to, and he/she doesn't ride in the muck. When I only rode in dry packed conditions for a long stretch then my chain would look like that after 2 months too, though it sure would sound like an awful hamster wheel.

Honestly though the biggest difference for chain maintenance and noise on my SRAM X01 rear derailleur was going to Absolute Black CNC narrow-wide pulleys to replace the crappy stock not-quite-delrin material. That seemed to make more difference than how religiously I re-lubed & wiped.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Honestly though the biggest difference for chain maintenance and noise on my SRAM X01 rear derailleur was going to Absolute Black CNC narrow-wide pulleys to replace the crappy stock not-quite-delrin material. That seemed to make more difference than how religiously I re-lubed & wiped.
    Interesting. Never thought of that but it makes sense to "match" the chain ring.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    ......,,I guarantee I ride more than you do.
    Could only be Touring Sedan. I defer.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Interesting. Never thought of that but it makes sense to "match" the chain ring.
    The SRAM derailleur comes stock with narrow wide pulleys, but it’s some kind of plastic or composite that doesn’t clear gunk very well. I’m sure I got a ton of grit into the bushings as well.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    So you really took a $160 rear derailleur and spent another $60 on it? Wow.

Yes and yes. But we’ve already had threads about obscene pulley products and prices.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Took some pics of my chain tonite to show what careful no more than what's needed drip on each pin never need to run it thru a rag or need to degrease or clean. This chain has about 4 months of more than multiple days a week riding in it in all conditions including rain like in the 1st pic from last week.
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 295
Size:  163.6 KB
    You can almost eat off of it. Lube is only where needed.
Views: 279
Size:  105.6 KB
    Lube smart not hard. No rag evar.
Views: 289
Size:  128.3 KB

I post a joke pic of leaves and it turns into this ghey shit.

Laps around biatches

Quote Originally Posted by MrMan View Post

You can almost eat off of it. Lube is only where needed.
Views: 279
Size:  105.6 KB
    Lube smart not hard. No rag evar.
    Unpossible. Maybe if you rode occasionally instead of just putting the bike outside in the yard and taking pics with little kids cameras

That blanket of wet leaves acts like the flappy things in the car was. No mud, sand, silt, clay in sight.
    #mightaswellkeepthisgheythreadgoing

Here's a moderately muddy day at Snowshoe. Good luck with your artsy fartsy careful chain fetish out there. Our strategy is to douse the chain in something with oil in it and pressure wash daily. Replace bottom bracket as needed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_d95.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	926.3 KB 
ID:	215997

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Unpossible. Maybe if you rode occasionally instead of just putting the bike outside in the yard and taking pics with little kids cameras
    Nope. Rode 2 hours in the rain today. Still clean. I could give you a step by step clinic sometime. Wait, I already described the process in this thread.

But that was at least a page ago. How can we be sure you're the real Rog if we have to click on different pages to find your special techniques?

Quote Originally Posted by MrMan View Post
    Nope. Rode 2 hours in the rain today. Still clean. I could give you a step by step clinic sometime. Wait, I already described the process in this thread.
    Yeah that's what I need Does it come with beer?

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    But that was at least a page ago. How can we be sure you're the real Rog if we have to click on different pages to find your special techniques?
    haha

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    That blanket of wet leaves acts like the flappy things in the car was. No mud, sand, silt, clay in sight.
    #mightaswellkeepthisgheythreadgoing

Here's a moderately muddy day at Snowshoe. Good luck with your artsy fartsy careful chain fetish out there. Our strategy is to douse the chain in something with oil in it and pressure wash daily. Replace bottom bracket as needed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_d95.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	926.3 KB 
ID:	215997
    Ahem. The riding isn't all wet leaf mat around here. I ride year round in a mix of conditions. Clean chain. You can have ^^^^ shit riding. Been there done that.

Love WV riding btw. from Canaan to Spruce knob. Amazing.

Sen~or Hombre,

You wouldn't be related to the guy who invented fuel atomizer/actuator plates to mount between manifold & carburetor during the 1960s-70s, allegedly with fantastic MPG and HP boosts... would you?

Shop guys actually told me never to wash bike. Said H2O hurts parts over time. Seems a tad silly to me but what the hell do I️ know. Anyone have opinions?
    No gnar was harmed in the writing of this post...

Better avoid riding it too. That really wears stuff out.

Quote Originally Posted by mogul5480 View Post
    Shop guys actually told me never to wash bike. Said H2O hurts parts over time. Seems a tad silly to me but what the hell do I️ know. Anyone have opinions?
    The force of the water can be the problem. As mentioned earlier in this thread, watering can velocity is about as hard as you want water to hit your frame and parts. Spraying your bike like a fire hose can force water and grit into places where you don't want it to go. There's nothing wrong with letting the bike completely dry then just wiping/brushing/flaking the dirt and crap off of your bike. Unless you're in the middle of a stage race or 24 hour or some such circumstance.