Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Oops, sorry: thought we were in the Rant thread...doubt Damian actually inspired this thread, but he would have loved it. If only he'd survived that gap. RIP Damian, wherever you are. You and your 3 chains.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Personally, I ride my chain/ cassette into the ground together. Sunraces wide range 11spd cassettes can be found for under 80 bucks and a reasonable chain is 20.

Or....at that price, you could buy 1 x Sram eagle chain. and probably much through your 400$ cassette in the same amount of time.... but the range is totally worth it.
    Chains and cassettes are disposable bike parts. I could never justify getting a cassette for more than $80. I always go the cheap GX 11 speed parts.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Oops, sorry: thought we were in the Rant thread...doubt Damian actually inspired this thread, but he would have loved it. If only he'd survived that gap. RIP Damian, wherever you are. You and your 3 chains.
    All good.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Chains and cassettes are disposable bike parts. I could never justify getting a cassette for more than $80. I always go the cheap GX 11 speed parts.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Same idea, but with the XT cassettes for me. I'm still not on the XD driver program, so...

XT 11-42 or 11-46 all over the place for under $80. Last, shifts well, doesn't break the bank. Paired with 30t rings gets me all the range I need. YMMV.

I'm a SRAM guy for the rest of my drivetrain and brakes, but still feel (at least for non-XD cassettes) that Shimano is the best thing going.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Quote Originally Posted by MrMan View Post
    All good.
    I don't think you follow me.

I rotate 3 chains on my bike, the cassette and ring last much longer this way. Chains are cheap, and it's worth the "hassle".

If you go til' 1 chain needs replacement, I have found a new chain can make the cassette skip. This wear takes much longer using the 3 chain rotation. Absolute Black did a video on it, that's where I heard about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lrzx6a2t6A

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    If you go til' 1 chain needs replacement, I have found a new chain can make the cassette skip. This wear takes much longer using the 3 chain rotation. Absolute Black did a video on it, that's where I heard about it.
    That's why you change it 0.5 instead of 0.75.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    I don't think you follow me.
    dude... MrMan is not a wheelsucker, he always leads out

I'm considering having 7 chains, one for each day of the week, hanging on a pegboard. Which day is it? Let's go to the pegboard for today's selection!

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Beat me to it. Spending $10 on a chain length tool will save your hundreds on cassettes.

changing at .75 is totally fine, especially if you aren't spending all of your time in just 2-3 of your 10/11/12 cogs. I usually change mine between .75-1 and never have an issue.

Same idea, but with the XT cassettes for me. I'm still not on the XD driver program, so...

XT 11-42 or 11-46 all over the place for under $80. Last, shifts well, doesn't break the bank. Paired with 30t rings gets me all the range I need. YMMV.

I'm a SRAM guy for the rest of my drivetrain and brakes, but still feel (at least for non-XD cassettes) that Shimano is the best thing going.
    You, or anyone else, running the 11-46 cassette? Haven't heard enough first hand reviews to pull the trigger. Jump from 37 to 46 makes me anxious, as well as backpedaling issues on current 42T cassette. Have heard that maybe newer Shim cassettes are improved on the beckpedaling issue.
    However many are in a shit ton.

11-46, very little drop in 46. Jump is fine, its a bailout gear, I'd welcome an even bigger jump.

I have a friend with the Shimano 11-46, he says the bailout gear jump is an awkward one and he'll get a different cassette with better cog tooth jumps when this one wears out. Strong climber so laziness isn't the real issue.

I haven't tried it but have ridden enough to know it would not be a happy jump for me. When I swap to 1x11 it will be with the SunRace.

We've had good luck with SunRace cassettes. Good product for a great price. They don't shift quite as smoothly as Shimano chain on Shimano cassette or SRAM (Sedis) chain on SRAM cassette, but performance is very much acceptable and IME SunRace cassettes are as durable as the better Shimano or SRAM cassettes.

No doubt that a "stretched" chain will result in undue cassette cog wear. I put stretch in quotation marks because, as most of you know, the links don't actually stretch: The elongation results from worn bearing surfaces. Putting this here for those who might not know that.

Chain length tool? Save your money. Use your tape measure. It's a 1-inch pitch, i.e., 1/2" pin centers. Measure 10 or 20 links then divide to determine % stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    Chain length tool? Save your money. Use your tape measure. It's a 1-inch pitch, i.e., 1/2" pin centers. Measure 10 or 20 links then divide to determine % stretch.
    just make one from scrap wood/metal. line for zero, line for 0%, line for throw away.

Long winded thread but a good one. Lots of good info shared.

got 11-46 with a 30 which i found a little high around here so i dropped 2 teeth on the front to a absolute black 28T, I havent run out of top end and depending on if you like SRAM or Shimano just hit that lever forward or back and it shifts perfect
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by MrMan View Post
    changing at .75 is totally fine, especially if you aren't spending all of your time in just 2-3 of your 10/11/12 cogs. I usually change mine between .75-1 and never have an issue.
    Pedal soft. Everything lasts longer.

Running the SunRace 11-46 cassette with XT8000 drive train and am happy with it. I do get chain drop if I backpedal in the 40t or 46t cogs but that doesn't ever impact me on trails (no reason to backpedal in granny gear, tech climbs are in higher gears). The spacing works well enough for my purposes. I run a 32t chainring and anything I can't climb in 32/46 I would rather push up like the fat guy that I am. Spinning out 32/11 is faster than I ever ride, as I have another bike for the park.

Since we're talking chain longevity, my bike mechanic said the 11 speed XX1 chains last at least twice as long... and while they do cost more, it's not twice as much. I've found this to be true...

are those hollow pin chains? That statement flips upside down an assumption I made long ago, that the top dollar chains are only paying for hollow pin weight reduction, not longevity, and that I should get the chains one level below the top dollar one.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    I disagree. You really should replace at, if not before, .5. An aluminum cassette will have deformation with less than .75 chain growth.
    I have been swapping chains thru 30 years of MTB riding and racing and how I do it has worked great. I do the same thing on my commuter.

Do do what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    You, or anyone else, running the 11-46 cassette? Haven't heard enough first hand reviews to pull the trigger. Jump from 37 to 46 makes me anxious, as well as backpedaling issues on current 42T cassette. Have heard that maybe newer Shim cassettes are improved on the beckpedaling issue.
    I'm on all 11-42 ATM, and no issues there so far. The jump to the 46 on that version seems a bit...tall. But Anospa and others have mentioned that in practicality, it's no biggie.

Unless you *really* need that higher range, these Shimano cassettes are tits!

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    are those hollow pin chains? That statement flips upside down an assumption I made long ago, that the top dollar chains are only paying for hollow pin weight reduction, not longevity, and that I should get the chains one level below the top dollar one.
    With steel cogs, the lighter chains should last longer since they'll typically be made from an alloy with higher strength but the same elasticity, meaning less material which lets the chain stretch a little more (I mean actually stretch under tension, not wear as Steve deacribed) and spread the load to more cassette teeth. This means a little less load on the top pin as the links are pivoting and thus less wear in the chain--and a lot less on the cassette. An aluminum cog might render this moot as its teeth flex dramatically more.

That said, I'm surprised to hear the differences described here. Makes a good case for better chains.

Drivetrain Cleaning Frequency

I was skeptical but it’s definitely been the case for me. I’ve had a backup chain just sitting there in the case for a few months now. I’m using the PC XX1 hollow pin. Paired with a Shimano 11-42 cassette.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.