Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarloaftrees View Post
    Be careful. Lots of avalanches..
    Looks like the stability testers have been out in force:
    http://www.jhavalanche.org/eventmap/

I've got the rest of this week off and am considering driving up to Grand Targhee later today to make some soft turns on Friday with non-rock skis. I was thinking of just sleeping in my car somewhere near Driggs tonight. Anybody got any recommendations for good spots for me to park? PM me if it shouldn't be broadcast on the interwebz.

Also, are there any ways to get discount lift tix? My AltaBird pass gets me half off at JH but I'm looking for a little peace and quiet on this trip and don't want the crowds. Not sure if there are other ways to save a few bucks.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Any Targhee season pass holder can get you 20% off. There are lots of them.

Any deals at JH with an Epic Pass?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Any deals at JH with an Epic Pass?
    Nope. They are Mountain Collective.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I think we're bailing on our San Juan plans and heading north instead of south in a couple weeks. Rough plan would be BC on the pass, a day or two at Targhee and a day or two at JH. All depends on snow/avy conditions. I assume it'd be cheaper to lodge in Driggs? Any suggestions for a place to call home for a half dozen nights? Or is there somewhere better to stay. Any mags do Air B&B up that way?
    Last edited by GPP33; 12-28-2017 at 11:58 AM.

Beware that everybody and their brothers are thinking the same as you. Targhee is seeing record numbers this week, and I'd guess lodging will be in short supply. The skiing is pretty damn good right now though, and we're expecting another decent storm over the next couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    I think we're bailing on our San Juan plans and heading north instead of south in a couple weeks. Rough plan would be BC on the pass, a day or two at Targhee and a day or two at JH. All depends on snow/avy conditions. I assume it'd be cheaper to lodge in Driggs? Any suggestions for a place to call home for a half dozen nights? Or is there somewhere better to stay. Any mags do Air B&B up that way?
    Motel 6 for cheaaaaap. Antler or Cowboy Village for a little less cheap and walkability.

We are due in Ooootah 2 weeks from tomorrow. Driving out and wife and daughter have to fly home out of SLC on Tuesday night but if things don't change we will be doing the first two days in JH.and maybe I will finish the week there as well but depends on which MC resort is getting snow then.

Nice thing about JH is you can always find a room in town in the winter. No need to got to Driggs to find beds.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Beware that everybody and their brothers are thinking the same as you. Targhee is seeing record numbers this week, and I'd guess lodging will be in short supply. The skiing is pretty damn good right now though, and we're expecting another decent storm over the next couple of days.
    From what I understand record numbers for Targhee are still pretty low relatively speaking. The main focus of the trip will be back country with a side of lift served so crowds aren't the biggest deal, though I'm hoping the holiday crowds thin out by then. Northern Co has most of the blue and green groomers open and a hand full of blacks so hopefully that satisfies the masses and they just come down here for presidents day. I can wish right?

Just rolled into Driggs, grabbing a beer and burger at Royal Wolf before finding a place to hunker down with my dog for the night. Let me know if anybody has any last minute suggestions for places to park.

Also, if any Targhee passholder wants to hook me up with a 20% discount or anybody has a liftopia coupon, this jong would appreciate it!

If you have a overnight vehicle( van, truck, camper, et al) get a hold of Targhee and see if you can sleep in the lower lot. The cost is reasonable and YOUR there. There a ton of pass holders who will help you get the discount. Big snow on the way. PS dogs are OK !! Lots have been full so being on site is a good thing.

I ended up parking in the turnout 2.5 miles out of Grand Targhee at the recommendation of the front desk guy, which worked perfectly.

Unfortunately, the storm was a complete dud. But, it was nice to make some creamy turns on my non-rock skis for a change. I hiked Mary's Nipple 3x and had a great line each time. The little cliff band around instructors chute was also fun.

It was amusing hearing the locals complain about the crowds, it felt like a ghost town compared to the LCC cluster of this past week.

Just wanted to throw a shout-out to you Wyoming mags for absorbing the influx of utards and coloradbros for the holidays! Luckily Montana is just far enough north.

Glad it worked out....did you find a jaded local to get your 20% off? Just had a friend in their sprinter spend 3 days in the lower 'Ghee lot so that may be a option for other campers. I would not want to be in the pull out if it dumped. Don't count the storm out yet, may see some snow thru Sat.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Just wanted to throw a shout-out to you Wyoming mags for absorbing the influx of utards and coloradbros for the holidays! Luckily Montana is just far enough north.
    Careful, could be a big post holiday rush

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    I ended up parking in the turnout 2.5 miles out of Grand Targhee at the recommendation of the front desk guy, which worked perfectly.

Unfortunately, the storm was a complete dud. But, it was nice to make some creamy turns on my non-rock skis for a change. I hiked Mary's Nipple 3x and had a great line each time. The little cliff band around instructors chute was also fun.

It was amusing hearing the locals complain about the crowds, it felt like a ghost town compared to the LCC cluster of this past week.

Yep. I'm going there!

I think we need to resurrect the anti-jinx
    looks like only a trace this am dangit

I might go ski snow king today and try to simulate a heavy leg day at the gym bc it will probably be mayhem at the village* and it looks like after next wk things get snowier again
    anti-jinx

*and edit for mayhem being relative. as noted above to you more metro area mags the crowds seem to be nbd
    skid luxury

Which mag is the Snow King Mountain Unofficial Snow Report on FB? Knocking it out of the park the last few days...
    Today wasn't even ominous like Wednesday and Thursday. The storm has been a hoax so far. Scientists and skids have been checking their iPhones nonstop trying to figure out just what the hell is going on. The stream of moisture could not be coaxed further south by our local geoengineeers or snow craving oligarchs. Fire 'em all!!!

JHMR reported only 1/10th of an inch this morning, and it was immediately paved by the stadium's over-capacity crowd of 100,000 people. Last night's hellacious winds calmed down just in time for an additional 300 planes to land at the airport today, and this weekend is about to totally eclipse the total eclipse. The King got 2/10ths of an inch last night, but don't tell anyone that it was twice as deep!

On the bright side, if the precip had lined up, it probably would've been rain below 8000'. Temps were in the low 40's in town. Coulda been a washout, but instead the butts stayed dry and our precious 6" base only shrunk to 5.3".

Despite the fact that this stream of moisture has already entered Pennsylvania, there is still hope that the tail end will slither southward and shed some snow on us. Nobody seems to be putting much faith in it besides NOAA though. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, something something something like that, you get the point!

That's dead on, NWS keeps changing the numbers, but I'm wondering when they're gonna admit they should be zeroes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171230_104523.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	220059

This guy knows what's up
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

That's dead on, NWS keeps changing the numbers, but I'm wondering when they're gonna admit they should be zeroes.
    That sounds like what they do to us about 5 times a year... We have a joke up here..."Winter Strom Watch, watch it go south, or, watch it split." But we actually got 1/3 of the snowmageddon they were predicting this time, so that's pretty much knocking it out of the park by NOAA standards.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    made me think of this.
    Name:  wyomexicoco.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  83.6 KB
    glad we could help..now where's are fucking snow!

The skiing is great. The crowds are noticeably smaller than many Holiday weeks. Considering how this winter has gone for much of the Rockies, we are in a good position.
    I encourage you to come and get some as the season is roughly 25% over here.
    About this dud of a storm. It was just soft on it's southern edge and couldn't make it. Sometimes we miss snow we should have gotten. 4 out of 5 times we get a wave of a few inches that we didn't expect. Or the occasional lucky RPK 1(foot) call. It wasn't forecast to be very much anywhere in the forecasts I read. Sounds like we missed a possible low rain event; I'll take todays howling wind.
    As to conditions: well damn, big wind has kept Sublette down for 2 days. The Bowl is a sastrugi ocean that gets better as the wind pack and sugar deposits form about 1/4 the way down. Massive plumes on the turns, very fun. Cheyenne/Laramie bowls-Wind deposit in the troughs of firm chalky ,carvy bumps. Bumps that are slowly disappearing in this wind. R bowl is fairly flat now. Lots of upper mtn. terrain pockets opening: Bernies, Pepi's ridge, All Teton lift off piste, lower faces still closed (officially). Ob is open and gets skied but local knowledge is key right now.
    The liftline wait is less than 10 minutes and likely less than 2. Learn how the singles line works.
    With any luck we'll be back to the usual in a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    It wasn't forecast to be very much anywhere in the forecasts I read.
    NOAA was calling for up to 34" at one point so there's that.

Okay okay, I take back some of my cynicism and admit it did snow a good bit this afternoon, and there was some really good skiing off the tram. It's pretty special to catch last tram under conditions like this.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    NOAA was calling for up to 34" at one point so there's that.
    Did you just add up the maximums from each 12 hour period? I've been wondering about this, but I don't think the numbers add up like that. Like if it says 3-5" during the day and then 3-5" at night, that isn't a forecast of 6-10" for 24 hours. I think the ranges reflect uncertainty about when the snow will fall. So the more you get in one slot, the less you're likely to get in the other. Or something.