Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    I got a notice on the phone on Thursday calling for up to 3 feet in spots. It also thought I was sitting in traffic today when I was watching tv, so confidence level is high.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by counterfeitfake View Post
    Okay okay, I take back some of my cynicism and admit it did snow a good bit this afternoon, and there was some really good skiing off the tram. It's pretty special to catch last tram under conditions like this.

Did you just add up the maximums from each 12 hour period? I've been wondering about this, but I don't think the numbers add up like that. Like if it says 3-5" during the day and then 3-5" at night, that isn't a forecast of 6-10" for 24 hours. I think the ranges reflect uncertainty about when the snow will fall. So the more you get in one slot, the less you're likely to get in the other. Or something.
    No.

Pretty epic whiff by NOAA, Opensnow etc.

NOAA and "epic whiff" are basically synonyms in the Tetons in the last few (or more) years.

This is starting to look like a Colorado thread. Hopefully it will start to snow again. Xmas weekend was a lot of fun skiing. Here’s woodmencys take on the shitty forecasting/wishcasting

http://www.mountainweather.com/2017/...december-2017/

Anyone been up wimbys recently and can offer any beta? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder View Post
    Anyone been up wimbys recently and can offer any beta? Thanks
    I was on 25 short yesterday, which is very close. I saw lots of cracking, and some avvy debris in steep wind blown sections. The snowpack is very thin in many places.

I skied a breakable crust on a southeast facing aspect in widely spaced trees and had fun. The avalanche report indicates that many aspects and zones are extremely variable right now with respect to persistent weak layers. Be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Any deals at JH with an Epic Pass?
    Not sure if you’re still looking but you’ll get 40% off a daily ticket with your season pass. Only good until 1/31 though.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    I was on 25 short yesterday, which is very close. I saw lots of cracking, and some avvy debris in steep wind blown sections. The snowpack is very thin in many places.

I skied a breakable crust on a southeast facing aspect in widely spaced trees and had fun. The avalanche report indicates that many aspects and zones are extremely variable right now with respect to persistent weak layers. Be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Thanks for answering. We called it off. Too many things were saying no besides the avy report. We were just out for some exercise and to get away from the village. Left town today. Hope the weather turns for y’all.

Looks like we timed our trip right....We'll be getting into Jackson tonight, JHMR tomorrow and Thursday, Targhee Friday and either the park or pass for some BC on Sat, Sun, Mon. Sounds like you guys have Colorado's persistent slab curse. Only problem is we'll be leaving on Tuesday right as the next storm arrives.

High pressure in Utah this weekend. I have never been skiing in Utah when it wasn't a high pressure. I should start issuing long range forecasts based on my vacation dates.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tetonguide.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	220973

current status: planning a teton trip thanks SO MUCH b-bear you are rad!!! we'll hit you up when we've sorted out a date, would love to get up in the park, pending conditions etc

btw uglymoney we might get a decent dump before that high pressure, snowing right now anyway... this weekend looks like it's gonna be the best it's been this season in UT, which ain't saying much but it's something I guess

I finally got off my keister to send it to you
    so much fun history in that book too -enjoy

6" of snow overnight too- woot woot
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    btw uglymoney we might get a decent dump before that high pressure, snowing right now anyway... this weekend looks like it's gonna be the best it's been this season in UT, which ain't saying much but it's something I guess
    Hehe I was surprised to see my name in that response. Thanks for the feedback. I meant to post the Wasatch rant in the mountain collective thread where I'm wondering out loud about where to go for Sun-Tues. SLC works better because the wife and daughter have one way tickets home Tues night from the SLC airport and I want to end up in JH for the second half of the week after I drop them off but we could do Sun, Mon JH, then drive down and do Alta/Bird Tuesday, then I go back to JH. JH has more snow. Decisions, decisions. Storm gazing from afar.

Class got cut today, made it to the Ghee by 130 from IF, it did not suck.

Also the pair of wreckers attempting to get the SLC express off Ski Hill road about half way up was pretty entertaining.

The wrecker was struggling for purchase! The Ghee was kind today.

Heading to Jackson for the weekend if anyone wants to meet up. Quick question-. BGs or Cochise for current conditions?

Skied JH today, you guys on the east side on the hills have a mighty fine hill there. Had some fun in the hike to terrain. Off to Targhee tomorrow, forecast is looking promising.

Quote Originally Posted by spchin24 View Post
    Heading to Jackson for the weekend if anyone wants to meet up. Quick question-. BGs or Cochise for current conditions?
    Today was a BG day, tomorrow will be as well. It’ll all be tracked by the weekend though unless you’re good at sniffing out snow and don’t mind hiking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by spchin24 View Post
    I was about to ask a similar question.

Coming out a week from tomorrow, LP105s or BGs? Need to make a decision by tuesday.

So YOU'RE To Blame!

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    High pressure in Utah this weekend. I have never been skiing in Utah when it wasn't a high pressure. I should start issuing long range forecasts based on my vacation dates.
    Please stop visiting Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    I was about to ask a similar question.

Coming out a week from tomorrow, LP105s or BGs? Need to make a decision by tuesday.
    I'd go BG, looks like storms pick up late next week. No such luck for me, so I'm bringing Cochise for this weekend.

anyone know where the pesticide gulch is mentioned in the avi report?
    can't tell from the pics and neither of us had heard of that name before- but looks like it's in the South of the resort zone...
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    anyone know where the pesticide gulch is mentioned in the avi report?
    can't tell from the pics and neither of us had heard of that name before- but looks like it's in the South of the resort zone...
    click on the event map on the avy website and you'll see it.
    or click on event detail, click on the row of the event you want to see, then click "map selected rows"

The big gully on the northern edge of the east face of 25 short

Just pulled into Jackson. I plan on being in the village by 8, that should be good enough to get us on the 15th or 16th tram. On a cluster fuck scale of 1 to 10, I predict tomorrow will be a 12.
    Goodnight all. See ya at the bench
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

wydot hwy 22
    Road Closed Due To Winter Conditions
    As of January 12 at 06:42 a.m., the estimated opening time is in 6 to 8 hours. Parking on the roadway is prohibited and delays WYDOT from opening the road.

16" new get sum at the ville