Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Trigger pulled. Who’s around this week and wants to make some turns?

Quote Originally Posted by seldon View Post
    Trigger pulled. Who’s around this week and wants to make some turns?
    I'll get with ya for some laps. Holla. Warm temps hopefully abate today; a little cooler and snow showers for days so says Woody. Yesterdays creamed corn was velvety. Yum...

Headed to Jackson for a week, never been before. I was wondering if anyone could hook me up with advice on some good introductory backcountry and side country destinations in the area. Bringing the wife so not looking to get too gnar. We'll be skiing Jackson for at least 3 days and hoping to hit the side country and tour on the pass or in the area for a few days too.

Also, any resources for avalanche conditions would be appreciated (of course I'll use the google and read a few pages of this thread). Avy Level II trained, conservative, many years experience in backcountry travel, but new to area.

Also, if you are bored, throw out recommendations for anything else concerning local restaurants, down day activities, hot springs, etc.

http://www.jhavalanche.org/

Even at moderate the Deep December Layer is still being ornery at times.

Pm sent djongo

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Headed to Jackson for a week, never been before. I was wondering if anyone could hook me up with advice on some good introductory backcountry and side country destinations in the area. Bringing the wife so not looking to get too gnar. We'll be skiing Jackson for at least 3 days and hoping to hit the side country and tour on the pass or in the area for a few days too.

Also, any resources for avalanche conditions would be appreciated (of course I'll use the google and read a few pages of this thread). Avy Level II trained, conservative, many years experience in backcountry travel, but new to area.

Also, if you are bored, throw out recommendations for anything else concerning local restaurants, down day activities, hot springs, etc.
    Do not miss tacos at Street Foods (base of the Pass at the stagecoach) and Indian/pan Asian at Teton Tiger...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I'll let the good skiers pass on back/side country beta...but as i have mad eating/drinking skills...

Bin22 for a late lunch or dinner, tapas/small plate menu, buy a bottle of wine in the attached shop with no corkage. Classic diner breakfast at the Virginian. If you like spending a lot on the best dining in JH, try to score one of the eight tables for dinner at the Wild Sage. The $10 burger/fries/Bud happy hour special at the White Buffalo Club is money, it goes daily from 5-6, for best results get there by 5:10. One down day idea would be driving over to Driggs, renting x/c shit for $20 at Peaked Sports, and ski up Teton Canyon. Whole different perspective of the range...Then grab a bottle of red and charcuterie board for $25 at Forage. Or head up to the airport for happy hour 4-6 (closed sun/mon) and tour the flight museum with drink in hand, half a dozen cool old ex-military planes. The Royal Wolf in Driggs is a great bar/decent restaurant, the BLT salad is great. A pint glass of strong-ass White Russian is $8 if you ask for a hungie [hun-jee].
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

tacos are good @ stagecoach. Great photos in the bar as well.
    teton thai in the village is good but long waits

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post

DDL stands for December Drought Layer, FYI. It is generally about a meter to two meters down right now, thus not so much of an issue. The guides are using probes to ascertain structure in a rough way.

I'd be wary of thin spots, and new wet wind slab on top of last week's surface hoar. (sent from my sickbed, dammit, but I am still keeping track)

Heading up to Jackson in the van tomorrow morning from Truckee. Any beta on places to overnight park an Astro van for a few nights while I ride resort and check out the town?

Heading out with wife and one of the kiddos Friday to Wednesday. Going to put him in ski school and ski the village. Can't wait!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Hey now, alright, Mags on the roll! Met up with Seldon today by accident bcuz I saw his change for a nickel sticker. Subliminal signals in the tram maze. Ski ya tomorrow Hooah. Tram laps were fun but look forward to playing around more off piste...

Shredgnar - oh yeah I'll be showing you around iffin ya want to. I'm solid on the low to mid side country and if you want to go big, and its right, We could do that too.RS, Cody, No Name, Granite. pm me for any specifics

Kungpow - Parking overnight maybe at the Stilson transit hub. Be an outlier...Intersection of Hwy 22 and 390, enrout to the vill; perfectly centered to Wilson, vill and town. And bus service and bathrooms right there. Correct me locals, does the sheriff troll here at night? Also in town maybe at the parking deck off of south cache? In a pinch pm me and maybe my driveway. I roll early though... Hell you can probably park in the village after 5 and who'd know the difference? Mind those AM parking Nazis though.

As for weather around the Tetons: Mountainweather.com is the local connection for access then refined through the Bridger Teton Avalanche center along with input from many local gurus, meteos, JHMR weather-Comey. Then there's these local mags who can just tell ya bcuz they ski on that terrain...

Where’s the ullr bonfire ?

Quote Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
    Where’s the ullr bonfire ?
    Geez, a Tuesday night in Jackson, Probably not gonna find a bonfire unless you start it. Might I suggest the parking lot cash collectors hut!
    Ullr, on the other hand is lighting up the ski tuners right about now. I trade that liquor for a stone grind.
    Are you in town then, skiing in the AM?

Thanks Django. Good beta. Will fire off a PM as well. I roll early too

Been dumping all day at big sky , 15 new back home at crystal we need to burn some shit !

All I want is glorious four pines laps

Can you overnight in any of the lots in Jackson?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Django would love to hit granite if it’s a go but I’m assuming it might not be

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post

AKA scary moderate.

Kungpow were you at the boat ramp hot springs this afternoon?

Also, how was it today up there? We decided to let it snow, do some remote work, and save the lift ticket $$ for tomorrow / when this storm (knock on wood) decides to show.

Looks like myself and two knuckldragger buddies will exodus from zion to the ghee this weekend saturday and sunday. Would be great to get a lap in with a local maggot or two.

Edit to add... beers and or safety meeting for any ghee passholder that can hook up that 20% off lift ticket

Last edited by TheFugitive; 01-31-2018 at 11:15 PM.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Oh Yeah - hey Dr. Fugitive, lets talk about those legend pro riders; What a great chance for you to unload those planks... willing to trade 4 village half off vouchers and some cash. Serious as can be. Consider, holla if interested; have other good tradeables. Those skis could pay for the trip...
    Seldon - Tram lap day fo sho. 8 laps before 1; almostly walk-on boxes. Bowl got better each lap. Low vis, big wind and sideways snow up high. Off piste ok high, gnarly low without some luck. Good call waiting a day. Groomers are like a WC DH course.
    Kungpow/Detrusor - the more I look at it, the more it seems you could park stealthily in this whole county with half a brain. Parking in the Village lots is prob. ok with a lowpro approach. Saw a big cab over pickup parked behind the old Bubba's today and thought who would care?...
    PM me if you're hung up figuring it out.
    Kokomas - Holler if you want to connect and maybe ski some. Be glad to help if I can.
    Greenmachine - Happy to connect and roll if you like. Usually on first tram, easy to find...PM for a #Hard to say on the OB, will ask. Granite out has been a brutal slog so few are going. Wind affected up high cody, NN. 4P could be creamy tomorrow with the wind deposit.

Skiing is good if not great, with the usual challenges. wind scouring and loading, not too busy skier wise; Temp swings have made melt/freeze cycle a little challenging but the corn skiing has been great. Groomers are excellent now. Lower faces are finally open but timing is key; Otherwise, well, Suffer. Side OB is Good or better.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    Looks like myself and two knuckldragger buddies will exodus from zion to the ghee this weekend saturday and sunday. Would be great to get a lap in with a local maggot or two.

Edit to add... beers and or safety meeting for any ghee passholder that can hook up that 20% off lift ticket

Liftopia will save you almost as much.