Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Roadhouse poached the former head brewer of Grand Teton. They're entering distribution now so should start seeing them more widely available.
    I thought Rob Mullin ended up in Virginia? Was there another head brewer at GTB after him that went to Roadhouse?

Yeah, wasn't Max heading things up for a short bit before heading to Roudhouse?

I'm up in the village today. Orange pants gray jacket, green boots and pools with green dynastar chams if any one is around for some turns /beer.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Two fatalities and several skier triggered slides, very scary "moderate" conditions imo.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Two fatalities and several skier triggered slides, very scary "moderate" conditions imo.
    I was thinking the same thing looking over a cody and seeing people standing on the cornice. That and it is already tracked to shit. It has tracks must be safe.
    Given the PWL here and all these storms coming in with wind i find it interesting that they down graded to moderate so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    I was thinking the same thing looking over a cody and seeing people standing on the cornice. That and it is already tracked to shit. It has tracks must be safe.
    Given the PWL here and all these storms coming in with wind i find it interesting that they down graded to moderate so fast.

Nothing new, it comes with our snowpack. Yellow doesn't mean go, nor should you ever venture out without your wits about you with variations of storm slab and PWL's. Seems that most fatalities around here are on Moderate days.

I think that’s true of most areas (fatalities on moderate days that is).

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Nothing new, it comes with our snowpack. Yellow doesn't mean go, nor should you ever venture out without your wits about you with variations of storm slab and PWL's. Seems that most fatalities around here are on Moderate days.
    It's always new. Everyday.

I guess at least in Utah most fatalities are on Considerable days:
    http://ascentbackcountry.com/analysi...he-modern-era/

Seems the only places that's not true in the US is CO and MT, which according to this paper, have higher fatality rates on moderate days:
    http://arc.lib.montana.edu/snow-scie...06-640-649.pdf

Typically thin snowpacks with persistant layers?
    Last edited by zion zig zag; 02-22-2018 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I guess at least in Utah most fatalities are on Considerable days:
    http://ascentbackcountry.com/analysi...he-modern-era/

Seems the only places that's not true in the US is CO and MT, which according to this paper, have higher fatality rates on moderate days:
    http://arc.lib.montana.edu/snow-scie...06-640-649.pdf

Both states typically have a deep slab problem, thus the 'scary moderate?'
    The term scary moderate typically refers to persistent weak layers, which we do have. Most of the recent activity I think has been more wind slab 18-24" deep. I call it scary because people are dying and having near misses.

I talked to a guide today who was on Taylor yesterday and dug near the South Face, with the idea of skiing that with clients. He got full propagation on the wind slab layer in his pit, and bailed on that plan. I wonder how many of the people who skied the E. and S. faces the last few days did that kind of due diligence.

The term scary moderate typically refers to persistent weak layers, which we do have. Most of the recent activity I think has been more wind slab 18-24" deep. I call it scary because people are dying and having near misses.

I talked to a guide today who was on Taylor yesterday and dug near the South Face, with the idea of skiing that with clients. He got full propagation on the wind slab layer in his pit, and bailed on that plan. I wonder how many of the people who skied the E. and S. faces the last few days did that kind of due diligence.
    Heh, I was revising my thoughts as you were posting. So, yeah, I was kind of wondering out loud if the CO and MT higher rates of moderate day deaths was due to a thinner snowpack, not the deep slab that I originally posted. Interesting, sorry, didn't mean to turn the Jackson thread into an avy discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Heh, I was revising my thoughts as you were posting. So, yeah, I was kind of wondering out loud if the CO and MT higher rates of moderate day deaths was due to a thinner snowpack, not the deep slab that I originally posted. Interesting, sorry, didn't mean to turn the Jackson thread into an avy discussion.
    That's okay, it'll get back to beer and pizza in no time.

it appears that only guides dig pits in teton county. the rest of us get lucky

https://soundcloud.com/the_fine_line

Gothic Couloir: Blinded by Desire (Episode 13)

i heard halvey did this triple crown lap last sun or mon
    i don't recall this event, but a good listen anyway

Any interest in an older pair of 194cm gotamas? Two mounts, maybe skied a dozen times.

12 days in a row of new snow. Get some.

Dicks course is super fun ps.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by sugarloaftrees View Post
    Any interest in an older pair of 194cm gotamas? Two mounts, maybe skied a dozen times.
    which version?

Whoever picked up an unattended pair of skis Saturday night at Motel 6 hope you crash into a tree well and die a slow cold panic filled death.

Posting for a friend
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

Quote Originally Posted by thebirdhunter View Post
    Whoever picked up an unattended pair of skis Saturday night at Motel 6 hope you crash into a tree well and die a slow cold panic filled death.

Posting for a friend
    Dang I'm sorry to hear about this. Thieves are as low as chomos and death is fitting for the both them both.

Details on the skis so maybe people in the area can keep a eye out for them?

Stomping it!

Pow Day!
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ichibaneye View Post
    Dang I'm sorry to hear about this. Thieves are as low as chomos and death is fitting for the both them both.

Details on the skis so maybe people in the area can keep a eye out for them?

Stomping it!
    Lib Tech Wreckreates Salomon bindings
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

Quote Originally Posted by thebirdhunter View Post
    Lib Tech Wreckreates Salomon bindings
    Roger that! Me n a fellow bro will be lurking the area for most of next week [extended our stay] and be standing watch just in case.

Stomping it!

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i gotta say some of my most memerable tours were overall considerable danger days on the other hand
    watched a member of our group go for a hellofa a ride on a low danger day in the middle of a low danger week
    after that using anybodys 1 word objective adjective be they professional FORECASTERS and all to make a whole lot of decisions seems like using a very minuscule piece of the big picture
    other than that after 21 seasons im gonna manage to drive a few hours and ski yur stuffs
    ill be gettin the real deal jhole tour from djongo tomarrow
    old man ski bum earth tones lookin bro stickered kusalas or lotus 120's
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Django, are you a new-ish poster or just a new username. Seems like you are holding in down in as the JH ambassador. No disrespect Baby Bear but you got a job and all.

Maggot tour guides in the most rad of place is the way it is supposed to be. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Django, are you a new-ish poster or just a new username. Seems like you are holding in down in as the JH ambassador. No disrespect Baby Bear but you got a job and all.

Maggot tour guides in the most rad of place is the way it is supposed to be. Keep it up!
    Hey, thanks man, appreciate the stoke. I'm new on the board but watched it for a couple a seasons prior. I've been in JH getting after it for a long time now and just really enjoy people who like skiing. So here I am.
    Only TheFugitive has met me and briefly when he hooked me with the LPR's but I meet SkiFishBum here in a few hours. Gonna give him the grand tour of the vill tomorrow then go up to BBI Boze for some sheeeenanigans. Gonna meet lotsa mags there.

I'm feeling some pressure.

She has a job and all. Me, I get up early three seasons a year and work hard so I can get up earlier for one to ski hard.
    I expect she has a bright future. Hopes to meet her, skied with her beau a coupla runs...