Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Favorite MTB liner shorts? Best Chamois?

Looking to replace a pair of raggety stretched-out Sugoi liner shorts.
    I've got a pair of older Troy Lee Designs liner shorts I bought on Ebay last year. They're excellent, but (of course) they don't make that style anymore and most reviews on their new liners suggest they're crap.
    So...what liner shorts does your taint ask for by name? Dakine or Pearl Izumi any good?

Pearl Izumi liner short. Retail somewhere $30-40.00. Best that I've used.

+1 for the izumi liner short. And also their liner bib short. That has a ton of pockets if you're into that sort of thing. But mostly I like it because I find the bib stays in place better and the chamois is a little nicer. Plus izumi's warranty is pretty much hassle-free.

bibs are great^^ a store guy gave me the sizing tip that the shoulder straps can pull a bit while you are standing straight up and then they will be perfect when you lean forward into the riding position, make sure the front is low enough to pulll down for a piss
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Club Ride makes liners with kind of wide coverage and substantially better than normal edges. Thickness tapers off smoothly toward the edges where the seams lay flat. Very similar to Zoics until you look at that seam. Lower waistband than PI's and shorter inseam. Mesh that's more breathable than lycra. I like PI's ok and wear Ziocs if I'm not going to be out as long, but the Club Ride "3 hour" liners are my favorite.

I mostly use Zoics. They have online deals every so often or I can pick a few up cheap at their warehouse sale. They don't last a huge amount of time but good enough for the price.

I'll second Peal Izumi's liners. They are mesh so they are cool, they offer a bib too. Mine don't ride up.

I picked up a pair of the cheaper Pearl Izumi liners this summer and so far I haven't been a fan. They have a couple of weird pressure points that I don't like.

For less expensive stuff, zoic. For more expensive, x4 on pearl izumi.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I do several multi-hour mountain bike rides per week. I’ll wear my cheap Fox and Troy Lee liner shorts only during mid summer, because they’re cooler, but the inside of my sits bones inevitably get raw and painful. When I go back to my regular Pearl Izumi Pro chamois, I instantly don’t feel any pain, and my ass slowly heals. They’re expensive (CAN$200) but worth every cent if you’re a regular rider.

spec swat bibs for me! but those at the end of the season for less than $50! great liner, lots of pockets, nice chamois

I love my Ibex liners but they are expensive AF ($80).

Fortunately, the liners I purchased mid-2016 were warrantied at the end of that season after I wore holes in the wool on both sides of the pad. They didn't want the old ones back- just sent a new pair. So this year I had 2 pairs of Ibex liners to use.

The new replacement pair wore out this year, but at least I got 2/$80 instead of the one.

I wear PI bib liners. One older model with black thin chamois and no fly, added 2 newer pair with thicker orange chamois and fly. Newer version is tighter around the quads and harder to put on but the chamois and fly are much improved. I've never used any of the pockets but could see a benefit if racing or you were anti pack.
    "Just send it you pussy."

Quote Originally Posted by BigHerm View Post
    I wear PI bib liners. One older model with black thin chamois and no fly, added 2 newer pair with thicker orange chamois and fly. Newer version is tighter around the quads and harder to put on but the chamois and fly are much improved. I've never used any of the pockets but could see a benefit if racing or you were anti pack.
    I use the thigh pockets while I'm around the house gathering up my phone or whatever else before a ride then drop it all into a pack when it's actually time to pedal. Agree that the orange chamois is nice and they are a little tight in the legs but the mesh fabric is super stretchy, so it feels fine. Plus without any leg grippers the extra tightness helps to keep things in place.

Way too many vague references to brands in here.
    Just a sampling of Chamois offered by Pearl Izumi:
    Quest Splice Short
    Elite Escape Spring Short
    Elite Escape Short
    Select Quest Short
    P.R.O. Escape Short
    Elite Pursuit Short
    Select LTD Short
    Select Pursuit Attack
    Men's 1:1 Liner Short
    Men's Liner Short

With all due respect fellas, recommending your PI shorts is like saying you have K2 skis because they make the best skis.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Couple nice options from Club Ride over at Sierra Trading Post
    Name:  club-ride-damsel-cham-liner-cycling-shorts-for-women-in-violet~p~289yr_01~460.4.jpg
Views: 11570
Size:  17.1 KB
    Name:  club-ride-montcham-cycling-liner-shorts-for-women-in-molten~p~165mu_01~460.2.jpg
Views: 11621
Size:  19.2 KB

What are people wearing in the really cold and windy? Got some tip-nip on a gravel ride last year, and I'd like to avoid that. Wind resistant seems like a necessity?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I can't ride without a just bit of hip and leg padding on my liner shorts. It's amazing what impact they take, since the little padding nubs looks so thin and cheap, on some of my really hard falls. Can't go back to normal comfortable liners after seeing what they can do.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Way too many vague references to brands in here.
    Just a sampling of Chamois offered by Pearl Izumi:
    Quest Splice Short
    Elite Escape Spring Short
    Elite Escape Short
    Select Quest Short
    P.R.O. Escape Short
    Elite Pursuit Short
    Select LTD Short
    Select Pursuit Attack
    Men's 1:1 Liner Short
    Men's Liner Short

With all due respect fellas, recommending your PI shorts is like saying you have K2 skis because they make the best skis.
    The 1:1 Liner short looks like its new, or its new since the last time I bought izumi stuff. It looks like a shorts version of the bib liner I think a few of us have referred to. I find the chamois in the bib liner (and I suppose in turn, the 1:1 short as well) to be better quality than the chamois used in the "liner short". So yeah, izumi's nomenclature is confusing. But when they called their liner short "liner short" and their bib liner short "bib liner short," how else is one supposed to refer to it?

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    The 1:1 Liner short looks like its new, or its new since the last time I bought izumi stuff. It looks like a shorts version of the bib liner I think a few of us have referred to. I find the chamois in the bib liner (and I suppose in turn, the 1:1 short as well) to be better quality than the chamois used in the "liner short". So yeah, izumi's nomenclature is confusing. But when they called their liner short "liner short" and their bib liner short "bib liner short," how else is one supposed to refer to it?
    I just picked up a pair of PI 1:1 liner shorts. I wear 36 waist in everything & opted for size Large. I've only got a 2-hour ride on 'em (before a pivot bolt on my Tallboy snapped! FK!), but I really like 'em so far. The chamois is really low profile so you don't have the full-diaper feel that most liner shorts have. On the first use, I found them a bit tight, but I'm assuming they'll loosen up after a few more miles & washes. Otherwise a good fit, no pinches or pressure points. The material is meshy, so you have some air and moisture movement.
    I got 'em on sale @ Excel Sports for $38:
    https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...jor=4&minor=41

PI's web site has 'em for $52:
    http://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/Shop...ort/p/19111703

I have stopped wearing chamois for the most part the past few yrs.
    I just roll with boy short/stretchy sports unders.
    I am a lady though so doesn't totally translate to your junks
    I do have a good saddle though
    and got my other half doing it part of the time. He likes the non- schweaty balls unless it's a long sitting uphill ride
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    What are people wearing in the really cold and windy? Got some tip-nip on a gravel ride last year, and I'd like to avoid that. Wind resistant seems like a necessity?
    Have a few pair of thermal bibs.

Sugoi winter-weight mostly for winter road rides. Have a pair of Louis Gaurneu thermal knickers which are so/so. Just picked up some Specialized SWAT thermal MTB knicker bibs which are pretty good so far, but hasn't gotten that cold here yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    I have stopped wearing chamois for the most part the past few yrs.
    I just roll with boy short/stretchy sports unders.
    I am a lady though so doesn't totally translate to your junks
    I do have a good saddle though
    and got my other half doing it part of the time. He likes the non- schweaty balls unless it's a long sitting uphill ride
    Mrs2e stopped wearing chamois for DH and the only downside for her is a handful of mudstained panties that look like she's had a really bad case of the shits.
    I tried it once. ONCE.
    Turns out every time I ride low enough to get my tush close to the saddle, I'm doing a little ring-the-bell with my little grape cluster. That get's annoying to say the least. Then I landed one jump low and behind the seat. Bad form I know, but not unheard of in the continuing effort to try recovering from shitty jumping style. Anyway, the back wheel punched my chestnuts like a speedbag. I barely managed to control the bike enough to stop on the side of the trail and whimper and hyperventilate for several minutes. All the while a cartoon like image of my nuts in a blur while some old boxer does a one two on them.
    Chamois ......... not just for saddle sores.

I'm also using the Pearl Izumi 1:1 liners. I like the shape of the chamois, and the mesh / no gripper fabric. As others mentioned, the thigh opening does seem to be a bit snug, but it does stretch out. I like them so much I ordered a second pair to rotate between, and have tossed all the rest of my liners (especially the shitty TLD ones that come in their shorts).

If you're spending $85 or more, Boure. Not uberlight fabric like some "liner shorts," Boure shorts are standard lycra. If you get the thin material liners to stay cool, don't wear such heavy shell shorts -- problem solved.

Inseam length on Boure is a little short for us long-femur people, but if you're using them under shell shorts BFD.

I've tried using those boxerjock things, they solve the problem of bashing your bag, but they don't do much for saddle sore creation on longer rides. I could probably manage with them for 2, maybe 3 hrs.