Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

What's you favorite hard charger in the 100mm range? and why?

Been looking to replace my Salomon Qlabs. The Qlab would be great, but the mound point is too far forward compared to the camber and rocker, but technically in the right spot for the sidecut, so its basically just really weird on hard snow, and does alright in the pow if you know how to ski it. If Salomon didn't fuck it up so bad it would probably still be in production, its really fun.

I demoed the Nordica Enforcer 100 last year and I agree 100% with all the "best of" awards its getting, it kicks ass. I kinda want something stiffer/burlier than the enforcer though, cuz I have a couple 105-108 skis.

So what do you love in that zone? 100mm or so at the waist, with metal in it? Also, I like turning, so I prefer camber to flat/full rocker, and I want a sidecut below 28ish meters.

So far the short list is: 2018 bonafide, enforcer 100, kastle fx95 HP, stockli stormrider 95, and maybe head monster 98?

I prefer nearly full camber and then a tapered, low, longer tip shape. The enforcer, fx95, stormrider, and bonafide sort of all have it, the head monster doesn't really, but I keep them on the list.
    Last edited by Climber Joe; 11-07-2017 at 01:59 PM.

Head Monster 98 or 108. Serious ass skis. They like to go fast, but don’t beat you up if you have to wiggle through some bumps at medium speeds.

They can get you in trouble though, not for use on holidays or high traffic days. Your pass might get taken.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Head Monster 98 or 108. Serious ass skis. They like to go fast, but don’t beat you up if you have to wiggle through some bumps at medium speeds.

They can get you in trouble though, not for use on holidays or high traffic days. Your pass might get taken.
    I've only skied the even narrower version of these skis for 4 days now...I can only imagine how a scaled up version of the same ski would rage. I thought I would find the top end of a 177cm ski relatively quickly. No dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    Been looking to replace my Salomon Qlabs. The Qlab would be great, but the mound point is too far forward compared to the camber and rocker, but technically in the right spot for the sidecut, so its basically just really weird on hard snow, and does alright in the pow if you know how to ski it. If Salomon didn't fuck it up so bad it would probably still be in production, its really fun.
    I'm not arguing for you not to ditch the Qlabs, but I wonder how you've had them set up? I have mine with BC at TC-9 cm and with the tail trimmed as in the Qlab 190 thread I find them perfectly balanced. But again, we're all different.

Enforcers are great though. A tad too pivoty in my book to be labeled true chargers but they still sure hold the line when you want them to and rails great when carving. What kind of turn characteristics are you mainly looking for? Carvy like Qlabs or XXL freight train type, or somewhere in between? Mantras maybe? Another ski I'd like to try but haven't yet, is the Faction Dictator 3.0 (and 4.0 for that matter but it falls outside the width range you're looking for...)

Quote Originally Posted by SoooL View Post
    I'm not arguing for you not to ditch the Qlabs, but I wonder how you've had them set up? I have mine with BC at TC-9 cm and with the tail trimmed as in the Qlab 190 thread I find them perfectly balanced. But again, we're all different.

Enforcers are great though. A tad too pivoty in my book to be labeled true chargers but they still sure hold the line when you want them to and rails great when carving. What kind of turn characteristics are you mainly looking for? Carvy like Qlabs or XXL freight train type, or somewhere in between? Mantras maybe? Another ski I'd like to try but haven't yet, is the Faction Dictator 3.0 (and 4.0 for that matter but it falls outside the width range you're looking for...)
    Where did TC-9 land compared to the recommended line? Is that -2? or more? Also what is BC? touring bindings?

I think that you can still find Kastle MX 98 At powder7 for under $500. Certainly you will not find a better ski anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I think that you can still find Kastle MX 98 At powder7 for under $500. Certainly you will not find a better ski anywhere
    I gotta disagree with you there. The BMX models are way better than the MX. The tip shape was smoothed out and that alone makes the newer FX and the BMX lines far better than the MX. Just my opinion though. I would also say that the Stockli stormrider is the best chargy ski I have ever ridden, but not the 2017 version, The older ones were much stiffer upfront, the 2017 was way too soft for the front 1/3rd of the ski. Unfortunately Stockli is hard to come by stateside.

Where did TC-9 land compared to the recommended line? Is that -2? or more? Also what is BC? touring bindings?
    BC=bootcenter. TC-9 is approx 1 cm behind the "new" recommended line. Salomon moved the line back circa 2 cm after the first year.

A few months ago a bunch of Stockli models from a few years ago were floating around the web in longer lengths. Colorado discount skis always seems to find old pairs, might be worth giving them a call if they suit your fancy.

I can’t confirm they’re still out there because I’m not allowed to look.

ClimberJoe, I guess that it is a matter of personal preference. I have owned two pair of MX 98 and consider them my favorite skis ever. I have also owned FX104’s, BMX108’s and BMX 128. I found the FX104 is way too hokey but that could’ve been the tune. The BMX108’s are fine and good for touring but a little bit noodly he for a daily charger. The BMX 128 is a ballsy ski

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    A few months ago a bunch of Stockli models from a few years ago were floating around the web in longer lengths. Colorado discount skis always seems to find old pairs, might be worth giving them a call if they suit your fancy.

I can’t confirm they’re still out there because I’m not allowed to look.
    Colorado skis doesn't really have anything worth buying. Where else aren't you allowed to look?

Various eBay listings, level 9, powder 7, there’s a pair of stormrider pros 178 w pivots 14 on eBay for $450 that ski is rad, I would ski the 178.

The cheaper ones seem to be gone but that makes sense

I think the enforcer could be a fun ski, it’s just not enough ski for me. I found the speed limit almost immediately, just too soft to be considered for the hard charger category. I think for a lot of smaller guys it’s could be a perfect 1 ski quiver. Sort of like a burlier soul7.

I also have a pair of 190 labs and I mounted them something like 84cm from the tail IIRC, about -9 from true center. They are a quiver ski for me, but they make refrozen conditions and dust on crust fun by comparison to a ski such as the enforcer that just doesn’t have the tail to manage firm snow with confidence.

One ski in this category I’m really excited to get on this year is the Dynastar Legend 96, so that may be worth a look.

When I saw title, thought went straight to Legends as well. At least an older pair I had and eventually gave to a friend. Currently, I feel my Cochises do pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    I think the enforcer could be a fun ski, it’s just not enough ski for me. I found the speed limit almost immediately, just too soft to be considered for the hard charger category. I think for a lot of smaller guys it’s could be a perfect 1 ski quiver. Sort of like a burlier soul7.

I also have a pair of 190 labs and I mounted them something like 84cm from the tail IIRC, about -9 from true center. They are a quiver ski for me, but they make refrozen conditions and dust on crust fun by comparison to a ski such as the enforcer that just doesn’t have the tail to manage firm snow with confidence.

One ski in this category I’m really excited to get on this year is the Dynastar Legend 96, so that may be worth a look.
    You will likely be disappointed in the Legend 96. demoed the 96 and 106 this spring and was thoroughly unimpressed. I can't remember exactly how I felt about them, but they were the skis I was least excited about with demoing last spring. I loved the changes Blizzard made to the Brahma and Bodacious, as well as the Rustler skis. I also loved the new Stockli Stormriders, they significantly stiffened up the tips compared to the noodle tips of the 2017 versions.

I am "only" 175, and I don't really enjoy 2X4 flex skis, so the Nordica fits really nice. The only skis I have tried that I might buy instead are the Kastle FX94 HD (only the 2017 or newer), the Stockli Stormrider 95, and next years Bodacious.

Someone mentioned the Head Monsters, I haven't given those enough attention, and I have seen them cheap locally, but I like to have a more tapered/longer tip like the Enforcer and FX94s.

+1 for MX98 & MX108 (not as chargy).
    No time on other Kastle offerings.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Monsters are some of the stiffer skis out there..

The mount point is pretty far back, -12.75cm back.

I just picked up a set of almost virgin 2013 Cochise (red & blue with the little bull badges on the top) with barons for 450$ at the swap ( I think they belonged to the snowboard coach) and I'm hoping its a hard charger ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I just picked up a set of almost virgin 2013 Cochise (red & blue with the little bull badges on the top) with barons for 450$ at the swap ( I think they belonged to the snowboard coach) and I'm hoping its a hard charger ?
    Fore sure those are pretty bomb. Though I seem to remember a few years that were much softer.

Wish they still made these. 4frnt turbo. No shit.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

You will likely be disappointed in the Legend 96. demoed the 96 and 106 this spring and was thoroughly unimpressed. I can't remember exactly how I felt about them, but they were the skis I was least excited about with demoing last spring. I loved the changes Blizzard made to the Brahma and Bodacious, as well as the Rustler skis. I also loved the new Stockli Stormriders, they significantly stiffened up the tips compared to the noodle tips of the 2017 versions.

I am "only" 175, and I don't really enjoy 2X4 flex skis, so the Nordica fits really nice.
    Interesting take on the new Legend series. I wish you had a more detailed critique.

I should have said “normal” instead of “smaller”. I wish I was 175.

I’d like to try the 193 Enforcer, but they never have the long skis in demo fleets.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I have been on the old orange-isa ones for a few years with a pair of red/blues new and mounted that I am finally going to switch over to...after rock season.

In that waist width range, my favorite metal chargers and why:

- Head m103 193cm, because stable at speed whether riding the bases or edges. 103mm underfoot, heavy & stiff, good if you prefer a longer turning radius. If pow, choose a floatier ski that day. If deep crud & you want to release the tail, choose a more smearable-tailed ski that day.

- Rossignol Bandit B104 Squad 194cm, because stable at speed while riding the edges with mad grip on icy groomers. 104mm underfoot, stiff but not heavy/damp. If better snow than icy groomers, choose a different ski that day.

- Dynastar LP XXL 194cm, because stable at speed whether riding the bases or edges, and pretty versatile. 109mm underfoot, somewhat heavy & stiff enough, good if you prefer a longer turning radius. No rocker, but exaggerated upturned tip, pretty versatile in all conditions.

- Line Mothership 195cm, because stable at speed whether riding the bases or edges, and pretty versatile. 111mm underfoot, heavy & stiff, good if you prefer a shorter turning radius. Twin tip, with subtle rocker in the tip, pretty versatile in all conditions.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Wish they still made these. 4frnt turbo. No shit.
    Take a look at their new MSP.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    In that waist width range, my favorite metal chargers and why:

- Head m103 193cm, because stable at speed whether riding the bases or edges. 103mm underfoot, heavy & stiff, good if you prefer a longer turning radius. If pow, choose a floatier ski that day. If deep crud & you want to release the tail, choose a more smearable-tailed ski that day.

- Rossignol Bandit B104 Squad 194cm, because stable at speed while riding the edges with mad grip on icy groomers. 104mm underfoot, stiff but not heavy/damp. If better snow than icy groomers, choose a different ski that day.

- Dynastar LP XXL 194cm, because stable at speed whether riding the bases or edges, and pretty versatile. 109mm underfoot, somewhat heavy & stiff enough, good if you prefer a longer turning radius. No rocker, but exaggerated upturned tip, pretty versatile in all conditions.

- Line Mothership 195cm, because stable at speed whether riding the bases or edges, and pretty versatile. 111mm underfoot, heavy & stiff, good if you prefer a shorter turning radius. Twin tip, with subtle rocker in the tip, pretty versatile in all conditions.

Aren't all your suggestions 10+ years old? Could be kinda hard to find in good condition, and believe it or not, ski construction has evolved in that time.

Some current models I would suggest the OP seeks out for demo:

Salomon QST 99
    Armada Invictus 99