Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    I sold them because I thought they were brutal on my fucked up ankle, and they are boring as hell under 35mph. Now that my ankle is doing better I still think they are boring, or I would have picked up another pair.

Plus didn't you buy them?
    Nah, you had 184, I have the 192.

Who has skied the Elan Spectrum ALU skis? Would they fit in this category? I haven't demoed them, but I loved the old 888, 999, etc.

What's you favorite hard charger in the 100mm range? and why?

Thread should have been named forgiving charger, not “hard” charger..

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I would want to sell all the skis I made, and if I sold at retail I would want the shops to sell through each year so they'd re-order. If I catered to both segments (ie. chargers and dentists) I would make more dentist skis. If I only made charger skis, the company would be much smaller.
    I bought some of them shinny topped Lamborghini yellow wailers back in the early days when you had to order ahead, I shot my buddy with a store the link, he thinks they look amazing & orders 16 pair

All the oldfuck customers making 6 figures wanted them, buddy said DPS was the single biggest product he has ever sold in > 15 yrs of bikes and skis
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post

My point exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post

More like stiff chargeable skis with a "fun" turning radius. But that was too much to type.

More like stiff chargeable skis with a "fun" turning radius. But that was too much to type.
    Which is pretty much what I'm looking for in this class.

I ordered a pair of Monster 108's last year and they scared me before I even opened the box, they went back and I'm okay with that.

Enforcer 100, Rustler 10 and Wren 108 are on my list right now

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post

I ordered a pair of Monster 108's last year and they scared me before I even opened the box, they went back and I'm okay with that.

The rustler is great, but I have two skis in the 106-110 category already. Just need something real solid for shite snow.

I am also interested in the Atomic vantage Cti 100. They are sweet.

Has anyone got any thoughts on the new Mantra? I've read the reviews but I'm never sold on reviews and demoing skis in Scotland is nigh on impossible. I should add my favourite set of skis I own is my home rockered 190 Explosiv's.
    I Came, I Saw, I .... Made A Slight Effort & Then Went Home For Lunch.

The wife and I are pulling the trigger on Enforcer 110s and Rustler 11s soon, I think. Can give you WROD review in a couple weeks, I think.

The rustler is great, but I have two skis in the 106-110 category already. Just need something real solid for shite snow.

I am also interested in the Atomic vantage Cti 100. They are sweet.
    Vantage looks good, do you know anything about the Atomic Backland FR 102? Thinking about those for a tech setup

Vantage looks good, do you know anything about the Atomic Backland FR 102? Thinking about those for a tech setup
    I know they ski pretty well, but I try to stay pretty light for touring. Look at the kitten factory toors light.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I just picked up a set of almost virgin 2013 Cochise (red & blue with the little bull badges on the top) with barons for 450$ at the swap ( I think they belonged to the snowboard coach) and I'm hoping its a hard charger ?
    Can't say a lot about many of the skis mentioned in this thread because i have not skied them but the Cochise is a legit charger as far as i am concerned. Not light but nimble enough and those things will smash through anything. A reasonably traditional ski with modern virtues. Strong!

I would have already bought 3 pairs if these weren't the 190s.

https://www.bobwards.com/elan-999-freeride-ski-53705

I'd be willing to bet that a DPS Cassiar 95 T2 (metal) hybrid would be a solid contender. Hammer ski but you can ski it every day with the wife or fam too [< 6"]. To this day its the most impressionable ski I've been on given your description. The nice thing is you don't have to clean teeth to afford this one, grated you can find it.

Who has skied the Elan Spectrum ALU skis? Would they fit in this category? I haven't demoed them, but I loved the old 888, 999, etc.
    They are nothing like the 888, 999, 1010s. I love those, and still ski the 888. I also have the 1010. They are not the hardest chargers, but they are great for lighter skiers.

What's you favorite hard charger in the 100mm range? and why?

Entertaining thread...

I have 190 Q-Labs, 185 OG Cochise, 185 Enforcer 100’s, and 180 Bonafides.

The Cochise is still the best for me for crud, but the Enforcer and Bonafide offer a lot of high end performance without demanding a lot from the skier. Totally peg the fun meter for me. Didn’t ski the Q-Lab at all last year, even though it is a ripping ski. Others are just more fun for me.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Second Tracks had a mint pair of 184's with Attack 16's for only $250 a few weeks ago. Incredible deal, but...you could hear them calling you a pussy and chanting death threats if you held them up to your ear. Had to leave them on the rack.

That said, keeping an eye out for a deal on the 108 or the 98 at 177.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 11-05-2017 at 10:55 PM.

Not that it matters cuz I alredy booked the band but what do you ^^ weigh/ which Cochise BM?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Not that it matters cuz I alredy booked the band but what do you ^^ weigh/ which Cochise BM?
    I'm 6'5" 195 lb and I've skied my 193cm Cochise ~6 days in two seasons. I find I grab my beat down 190cm Katanas much more often.

I'd call the Cochise a charger, but a more "modern" charger than my Katanas. The Katanas carve better, the Cochise shape is more geared towards slarving.

The Cochise has been stable and predictable at all speeds and plenty nimble though. I like making round turns and the Katanas do that really well.

If you want stability and you like to be able to make big arcs and then throw skis sideways to scrub speed the Cochise is a solid tool.
    Last edited by ClayCole; 11-05-2017 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Spelling

Why volkl got rid of the metal Katana, I have no clue. There is so much demand for that ski, I dont think they would even have to make “limited” production runs. One of the only skis I would ever pay retail for in fact! They are so dialed.

Full, (very) low profile reverse camber makes sense in 112 waist. It really makes the metal ski float better in pow than it’s cambered competitors (Monster 108 is 110mm underfoot in the 191). I also think it carves better than the Cochise too.

Why they did this to the Mantra, I dont know. Closer to 100mm underfoot, full reverse camber makes less sense to me.. I guess it’s better than making it have a 19m turn radius, while still catering to the aging demographic of ski buyers, that want something a little more forgiving. But I like my 100mm skis to be the opposite, fully/mostly cambered. I dont need a “one ski quiver” 100mm that can float well in over 6in of powder. I need to take a few more laps on it this season for sure, before I can talk anymore jive.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Second Tracks had a mint pair of 184's with Attack 16's for only $250 a few weeks ago. Incredible deal, but...you could hear them calling you a pussy and chanting death threats if you held them up to your ear. Had to leave them on the rack.

That said, keeping an eye out for a deal those or the 98 at 177.
    These skis are so badass. The lack of durability is my only complaint. Better than blizzard by a bit, but when compared to On3p they just fall short. I still paid retail ($699) for my 191 Monster 108s, and dont regret it. That’s the only way to get that size. But paying $289 for brand new 184 98s, with Attack bindings, felt much better in the wallet!

They ride true to size, not 10cm short like 90% of skis these days. 184=Full Aever with these bad boys. I would honestly have no problem ripping around on the 177s all day either, they just are so stable. It would be sacrilegious at my size here on TGR, but it would work.

Quote Originally Posted by ClayCole View Post
    I'm 6'5" 195 lb and I've skied my 193cm Cochise ~6 days in two seasons. I find I grab my beat down 190cm Katanas much more often.

I'd call the Cochise a charger, but a more "modern" charger than my Katanas. The Katanas carve better, the Cochise shape is more geared towards slarving.

The Cochise has been stable and predictable at all speeds and plenty nimble though. I like making round turns and the Katanas do that really well.

If you want stability and you like to be able to make big arcs and then throw skis sideways to scrub speed the Cochise is a solid tool.
    I am just a small AZN man (160lb)who like to slarve the lotus 120 looking fo something narrower ... sounds like just my kind of ski!

Line influence 105
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    They are nothing like the 888, 999, 1010s. I love those, and still ski the 888. I also have the 1010. They are not the hardest chargers, but they are great for lighter skiers.
    What about the 333’s???

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Take a look at their new MSP.
    Has anyone skied these?