Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Things That Are Good

so tired of bad/sad/hurtful news so I'm starting a thread dedicated to those things that make our world a better place no matter how big or small, national, regional or personal. Let's see what you've got.

I'll start:

Iowa's 'Wave' — our best sport has a new best tradition

IOWA CITY – You can see their silhouette in the windows of the children’s hospital from a distance. Sick kids and their parents watching a college football game from rooms that overlook Iowa’s Kinnick Stadium.

You’ve probably heard or read about the Wave, the new tradition that takes place at the end of the first quarter of Iowa home games. Fans turn toward the hospital and wave to those kids and their loved ones high above. The moment lasts about 30 seconds.

Saturday was my birthday. Those 30 seconds were by far the best part of my day.

To see that remarkable act of kindness on television stirs emotions. To experience it live, with those kids in plain view, brings an overwhelming sense of joy and sadness at the same time. I captured the scene on video, not perfectly, because my hands were trembling.

Football becomes unimportant during the Wave. You just want those kids to be OK and hope they feel uplifted, if only for that brief moment, a chance to forget about why they are there.

Traditions identify programs like birthmarks and help make college football the greatest sport invented. There are many cool, unique rituals but a quick checklist of my favorites: Army-Navy March On, Howard’s Rock, Ralphie’s entrance, Jump Around, Running through the T, Midnight Yell, Rolling Toomer’s Corner and Dotting the I in Script Ohio.

The Wave moves to the top of the list. Well done, Iowa.

I arrived at Kinnick Stadium three hours before kickoff and found myself repeatedly staring through my binoculars at the hospital adjacent to the stadium.

Kid’s names are written on signs taped to their windows, allowing fans a little more personal connection when they wave. Some signs share messages of hope and inspiration.

As a parent, I found myself wondering about the pain felt by those parents who sit on the other side of that glass, second by agonizing second. And how they must soar emotionally when 70,000 people turn and wave to their children.

College sports can make a person cynical these days. Scandals create the perception that the whole enterprise has become a cesspool of greed and corruption.

The FBI shook college basketball to its core by exposing dirty secrets involving financial arrangements between coaches, recruits and shoe companies.

The University of North Carolina admitted allowing athletes to take sham classes, but since regular students did too, it avoided crippling penalties from the NCAA.

The amount of money flowing through college athletics — TV revenue, coaches’ salaries, facility projects, etc. — has made the notion of amateurism seem outdated.

No question, college sports as an entity have made itself an easy target. Breathing fire as a blowtorch to their hypocrisy feels appropriate sometimes.

Iowa’s Wave reveals another side to college sports, a conduit to something far more impactful than a football game.

“Emotional,” Gophers coach P.J. Fleck said.

Fleck and his players experienced the Wave for the first time and delivered a heartfelt gesture. Fleck wanted his team to participate in that moment. He let his player leadership council decide how to respond. Their idea should become a model for all visiting teams.

The Gophers knew they would only be able to see the top floor of the hospital from their sideline. So they decided to run onto the field — players, coaches, support staff, everyone — to the hash marks so that they could view all the floors.

They waved and smiled as a group.

“I’ll always remember the Wave,” Fleck said.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

California family kidnapped by pirates found safe in Brazilian jungle
    http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Oli...475B&mode=text
    Enjoy the good news before we found out they faked it.

Some may disagree,
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

snow in redmond
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Snow in the forecast for this weekend. I'll take it.

6" in the driveway and still dumping! I wasn't ready for bike and swim season to end, but the white stuff has a way of changing my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Some may disagree,
    Some say it's the dogs bollocks

I disagree

KQ and the few women posters who can handle themselves in this sphere of wanton and wantin' testosterone.
    I love how they unveil the women haters just by being here.

Some may disagree,
    this doesn't qualify as "good news" but it's a pretty funny/interesting read https://www.theawl.com/2011/11/a-con...-as-arbitrage/

I'll play, it's good having bike/hike trails less than a mile from the house.

Bad, the albino deer that used to inhabit said trails getting hit and killed by a vehicle.

dogs
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

The original story about the wave is cool.

Lots of good things in my world.

For today
    http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...ts-self-penis/
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Rough-legged Hawks have returned to the Kittitas Valley for the winter

Central Texas brisket.

Miniskirts
    Bikinis
    Daisy Dukes
    Throngs
    Only bad when wore by women that shouldn't otherwise very very good things

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    Rough-legged Hawks have returned to the Kittitas Valley for the winter
    Any gyrfalcons yet?

Ibis Cycles

Scarlet ibis, the national bird of Trinidad

Italian steel bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    dogs
    First thing I htought of was our massive golden retriever's thump thump thump of her tail beating the floor, rolling onver on her back so I can scratch her chest when I walk in.

Bein dead tired, so damn worn out I can hardly walk, bein met at the fence by neighbors with a cold beer and an attaboy, after a massive inside-out backhand to win the round-of-eight, win-or-go-home, playoff match for the 'hood. Last sunday. Becuase in that momment, I know, beyond self-doubt or second-guessing, that on that day my best was good enough.
    "Can't you see..."

Any gyrfalcons yet?
    Heh. I'd love to see a Gyrfalcon in WA. There are a few credible sightings each winter.

I saw a couple Prairie Falcons yesterday while bicycling.

I haven't seen any Northern Goshawks at low elevations this year. Indeed, I saw only one NOGO in the KV last winter. I saw 3 in the WA Cascades this summer, both E of the crest. 2016 was my NOGO year: I had 5 positive IDs in the WA Cascades, including one near Snoqualmie Pass while ski touring.

My recent very cool accipiter sighting happened a couple weeks ago, watching 2 migrating Sharp-shinned Hawks getting harassed by a half dozen Magpies in our yard. It was definitely a thing that is good, thus belonging in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    snow in redmond
    Earliest Puget Sound snow since '71 apparently.

71/72 was all time record snow pack at Paradise.... 1122"
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    Heh. I'd love to see a Gyrfalcon in WA. There are a few credible sightings each winter.

I saw a couple Prairie Falcons yesterday while bicycling.

I haven't seen any Northern Goshawks at low elevations this year. Indeed, I saw only one NOGO in the KV last winter. I saw 3 in the WA Cascades this summer, both E of the crest. 2016 was my NOGO year: I had 5 positive IDs in the WA Cascades, including one near Snoqualmie Pass while ski touring.

My recent very cool accipiter sighting happened a couple weeks ago, watching 2 migrating Sharp-shinned Hawks getting harassed by a half dozen Magpies in our yard. It was definitely a thing that is good, thus belonging in this thread.
    I get NOGO in the Fall. Have a family of Swainson that nest in an old Locus tree on my property every year. Usually have two chicks. Love to watch them soar and hunt.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Have a family of Swainson that nest in an old Locus tree on my property every year. Usually have two chicks. Love to watch them soar and hunt.
    A thing that is cool, for sure!