189 cm Kastle FX95 - too much ski?

5'10" 170 lbs, expert skier. Demo'd these in this length in Whistler last year and loved them. Yet everything I read says I should be on a 181 cm, which is what I normally ski. Am I nuts to get these in 189? Anyone ski both lengths and have any thoughts?

thx

If you "loved" the 189 then why get the shorter one based on what some article says. Ski what you like not what some hack in an article is telling what you should like.

Dude my goto size is 186. I got the fx95 in 181 and seriously regret it. I wanted a shorter ski for more technical steep skiing, but not that short! The 181 skis like a 175 and feels like there is nothing infront of me. The dude at the shop told me that, should have listened... Anyway get the 189 will feel close to your standard size on snow. Thats why you loved it.

Have Kastle BMX108 188cm it measures 185 for some reference. I wouldn't consider a smaller size and I'm just a little taller. Fan of Kastle but their line is a little long in the tooth.. I'd have a hard time spendy Kastle money on a ski that I believe is rumored to be overhauled. Sale priced or different skis - my 2 cents

Use mine as early/late season skis but they're also 2012's

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    If you "loved" the 189 then why get the shorter one based on what some article says. Ski what you like not what some hack in an article is telling what you should like.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by alex1123 View Post
    5'10" 170 lbs, expert skier. Demo'd these in this length in Whistler last year and loved them. Yet everything I read says I should be on a 181 cm, which is what I normally ski. Am I nuts to get these in 189? Anyone ski both lengths and have any thoughts?

thx
    One the things I don't really like about Kastle's line is their naming conventions, they are too hard to differentiate between the different models. The normal FX95 has no metal in it and weighs 9.5lb in a 189cm with a 22m sidecut. That's not too much ski for you at all, especially considering the rocker, complex sidecut and modern (forward) mounting. It probable skis really short, like a traditional 175 to 180 midfat. If you really wanted a shorter length, you could consider the FX95 HP, which has metal and weighs about 9.5lb in the 181cm.

Thanks for the input this is helpful

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Have Kastle BMX108 188cm it measures 185 for some reference. I wouldn't consider a smaller size and I'm just a little taller. Fan of Kastle but their line is a little long in the tooth.. I'd have a hard time spendy Kastle money on a ski that I believe is rumored to be overhauled. Sale priced or different skis - my 2 cents

Use mine as early/late season skis but they're also 2012's
    The 189 length is on telemark pyrenees for 50% off right now

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Hard to argue.

No offense to Jonny.

"Some folks may have the luxury to hold out for “the perfect.” But a lot of Americans are hurting right now and they can’t wait for that." - Hillary Clinton

...Demo'd these in this length in Whistler last year and loved them. Yet everything I read says I should be on a 181 cm, which is what I normally ski...
    Listen to 2FUNKY.

The only reason I can think of at the moment for you to NOT trust your demo experience is: If during your demo at Whistler maybe you were skiing that longer ski in a style that you cannot replicate at your usual resort. (I.E. Just because you love a longer ski in Whistler's wide-open terrain, with terrain macro-features everywhere, at high-speed, huge turns, big stomps, etc. does not mean you will also love that longer ski in a tiny resort, with terrain micro-features everywhere, forced into tight hopturns all the time, etc.)

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

thx
    Good points above. As an apples to bananas comparison, I'm same height and a little heavier and been on the 'right sized' 1st Gen FX95s at 176 and no rocker for several years. I imagine the 181s would ski similar in length. They can ski short but fun and desirable in tighter bumps and trees. I never thought of them as big carvers, but generally versatile. As I understand it, the newer FX95s should carve better and may be more fun here. The 189s might provide a little more float in deeper snows and better for higher speed GS turns on groomers. Also, as weak comparison, with a pair of massive and bit long 189 Keepers at hand, but a blast, I'd be where you are at, 'between clubs', where probably 185 would be a perfect fit.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Aus George - do you mind if I ask your height / weight? I think your response just helped me decide on the 189cm (2019 Kastle FX95 HP).

Regarding the FX 95 HP....they are sooo much
    $$$. Is there a poor man's option out there with similar construction/characteristics?

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    $$$. Is there a poor man's option out there with similar construction/characteristics?
    The FX95 HP is discontinued, (now the 96 HP, I believe it uses composites and not metal) so you should be able to pick some up for much less than the old MSRP if you had your heart set on them. A metal off road ski in mid 90s... every company has one. Among the mid-price range ones I've driven (I rode the FX 95 but not the FX 95 HP) Volkl Mantra M5 felt the closest... but I was only on the 177s (I was 155) Should also be able to snag Enforcer 93s for cheap with the Enforcer 94 inbound.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    What do you like about them? Kastles are a pretty traditional shape with a metal laminate construction. If what you want is a minimally rockered metal laminate ski, then Blizzard has been making those a long time.

However, spending the money on a Kastle/Stockli gets you a feel I have personally never found in a cheaper ski. It’s both damper and livelier.

Nothing traditional about the shape of the FX95HP, it's like a Bonafide with more tip rocker. Very short running length.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Nothing traditional about the shape of the FX95HP, it's like a Bonafide with more tip rocker. Very short running length.
    Ah, haven’t skied that specific model so didn’t know. My observation about the brand was based on the MX and older FX skis (still use my 104 on occasion) which have pretty flat tails and very minimal tip rocker. The least traditional thing about the FX104 is a slight pin tail, but it’s still totally flat.

To be fair, I would also call the Bonafide pretty traditional relative to many of the skis on the market.

In this width range I ski kastle fx95 (non hp) in 189, fx96hp in 180, bonafide in 183, mantra 102 in 177, enforcer 104 free in 186, and new mantra m6 in 184. The mantra 102 and bonafide are the standout skis in this width range imho. The new m6 is awesome and very versatile too.

Love the kastle fx95. I’ve had them for 4-5 years and they see a lot less time now than in the past. I definitely wouldn’t want the nonhp in a shorter length. Every other ski I mentioned charges harder. These are smooth but a handful in snow over 6 inches or very tight bumps/spaces.

I’m also liking my dynastar m pro 99 more and more each time I take it out. Can’t find any condition I don’t like that ski in. Really a standout - a really fun ski everywhere. Wouldn’t be my first choice for going 50+ mph but everything else it’s great to excellent.