School me on my outdoor ski and bike storage options

Jong keep-the-wife-happy question. I'm moving from a 3 bedroom house with garage into 1 bedroom apartment. Skis are currently stored nicely on a rack in the garage, but this is not going to be an option. According to the lady, keeping them inside anywhere is not an option. Boots will live in the house. A man's gotta draw a line somewhere

Quiver of six, mainly over 115mm, shortest is 185 longest is 192.

Options as I see them are:
    - Find a long ass deck box (can't find anything that's 6 feet)
    - Get a vertical cabinet that's six feet tall and put it on the deck
    - Keep all six pairs in a roofbox? The box is on the subie already this year, kinda ridiculous in the summer though.
    - Just leave everything outside on the deck. I don't like this option

Also we've got two small (52 and 54cm) surlies that will have to live outside on a deck. The lady is pushing to keep them out of the weather. We're thinking one of those garbage can cabinet things? Like this - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Keter-Sto...-Shed/54285065

Thoughts?

Divorce.

Will you have extra parking space at the new residence?

If so...

https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/d/mo...344903838.html
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Divorce.
    My first thoughts as well. Trying to add more options to the table as she's the gravy train to long-term affluence....

Chup - I'll just wait til it snows and slide that thing down Geiger Grade and right into the driveway.

If you're on the ground-floor, I think any kind of box is likely to be a problem - it will be too temping to break into.

Keeping them in the roof box on the Subaru has merit - even if it seems kinda nuts. [I'd still worry about someone breaking into it and taking them, or otherwise trashing them. But I've hardly ever heard of people breaking into roof boxes, so perhaps it's a misplaced worry.]

Got friends where you can stash, at least during the off-season. [In-season, in the box seems reasonable.]

Really small storage unit? [I'd bet you could find a friend to stash with for beer or something - and I'd way rather pay a friend in beer/weed/dinner vs some stupid storage unit.]

What's your budget? How big is the deck?

You could look at something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    Chup - I'll just wait til it snows and slide that thing down Geiger Grade and right into the driveway.
    Problem solved!
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    What's your budget? How big is the deck?

You could look at something like this.
    Saw those. At that price we could just buy new surlies next year. Or replace all components....

The deck is pretty big, though. Like 14x16, no furniture on it yet. Two landings on the way up, one has an area of like 6x8 that has no purpose and is out of the way.

And gregorys - the apartment is super secluded, it's an addition on someone's barn / big ass garage. Backs up on usfs land and they have 14 acres... More concerned about bears than people. Also the deck and apartment are on the second floor.

They will probably spend quite a bit of time in the roofbox until I get a clean and affordable solution. Or I'll stash them at chup's house and wake him up at 5 a.m. every time I want to dawn patrol

Wait for a response after you tell the old lady IF you store skis outside the rusty edges will cause you to replace the quiver every season. What kind of a skier is married to a woman that won't let you store gear in the house ?

Name:  ski closet.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  18.2 KB

Here is 4 pairs of skis held up off the ground in a very small space for the cost of some 2x4 and partical board, I finaly got around to painting it last week

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5003-9...e-Storage-Rack

these are good for holding 2 bikes in your apartment

I actulay own the 2 story 4 bd room house but the down stairs is a rental suite so I gotta look at other ways to store gear
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Is there a wall on the deck that you could put two galvanized pipes (or strong towel bars..) on that you could clamp the rooftop box to, upright?

This is one way I have stored mine in the summer -> never occurred to me that I could stash stuff to it as well. Maybe wouldn't occur to thieves, either.

I've since moved to putting 4 screw eyes in the ceiling of my garage and hoisting the box up over the hood of my car for storage. This could also work for you if you have a covered spot or access to the underside of your deck.

Also, with 192cm as the longest, those would totally fit under the bed and nobody has to know. I'm sure you can find a nice dust ruffle on Gear Swap to hide it all.

Good luck on the move!
    Paul

the apartment is super secluded, it's an addition on someone's barn / big ass garage. Backs up on usfs land and they have 14 acres...
    Plenty of space for that box truck then.

Or I'll stash them at chup's house and wake him up at 5 a.m. every time I want to dawn patrol
    Shit.

Sounds like a perfect excuse to drink a beer and use a circular saw! Wouldn’t be too complicated, and it might look so good when you’re done that the boss will let you store the skis inside.

http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/ski...-storage-bench

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Wait for a response after you tell the old lady IF you store skis outside the rusty edges will cause you to replace the quiver every season. What kind of a skier is married to a woman that won't let you store gear in the house ?
    Oh I'm storing gear in the house. The skis and bikes are the things that are bulkiest and most waterproof. Between musical instruments, her research gear, climbing and backpacking shit, gotta prioritize the weatherized storage.

Looks like they're staying in the roofbox til I build a "deck bench"