Page 81 of 214 FirstFirst ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 5329
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenstateofmind View Post
    Idahospud, Are you from Idaho? We're strongly considering a relocation to the Teton Valley so just wondering if you've spent time in Eastern Idaho.
    Skiing here has been stellar for the past three years, at least from my eastern perspective. We are spending the winter camping in Tetonia and skiing the sh$t out of Teton Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    The shiny stuff played nice after a groom yesterday. Very fun day for kick and glide in south central VT.

Extreme!
    Attachment 222332
    Shot of the year????

Needs more dog. So close
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post
    Shot of the year????
    Yes, all the mags and websites that matter are calling it that.

Edit: Never enough dog.

True statement!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8593.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	371.2 KB 
ID:	222346

Yes, all the mags and websites that matter are calling it that.

But if you had a cat we could have ....

Name:  Poussey.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  5.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    True statement!

Name:	IMG_8593.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	371.2 KB 
ID:	222346
    Wow, that's a monster. So cool.

crust in the laurentians was not supportive, yet thick. had fun. weather was good until about 8 when it started pouring. 34 degrees currently.

carry on.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Newfie!! Love 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Tourism is a shit economy, we should be weaning off it not growing it.

Lol yeah a truly shitty $1.7 billion influx to our bucolic state. Better to throw those unsavory Jersey dollars in the trash, we’re too good for them!

I love it when people act like VT has another industry just sitting there waiting for people to feel like using it. #trustfundtalkrightthere
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Unfortunately people coming from out of town are assholes. And people from town are too. Not sure who starts it or how but assholes are assholes no matter where you go or are from.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

bush finally mowed the junk on Steins last night in the rain. 30mph wind make shooting fun as well.
    Not a flake of snow on the backside here.

This sounds like fun, bet the groomers are great today

MRG Report
    Sunday January 28, 2018

A few wet sprinkles overnight have left a glaze on the hill and we will not be able to open the main mountain until later on in the day. The Practice Slope will open at 8:30 AM.

The upper reaches of the mountain have escaped the glazing. The problem lies from mid-mountain on down where it is currently treacherous. We are unable to put a groomer on it at this point. We have a forecast for balmy temps which we hope will eventually yield a surprisingly nice ski day. Please stay tuned for updates!

Name:  8H2A1271.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  102.6 KB

Name:	8H2A1265.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	222381
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8H2A1267.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	205.1 KB 
ID:	222380  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    I love it when people act like VT has another industry just sitting there waiting for people to feel like using it. #trustfundtalkrightthere
    What about maple syruping?

VT-F, you been out on your Originators yet? I'm mounting mine up tonight when I get home.

Looking at conditions, I'm thinking today would be a good day to work on dolphin turns?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    Lol yeah a truly shitty $1.7 billion influx to our bucolic state. Better to throw those unsavory Jersey dollars in the trash, we’re too good for them!

I love it when people throw around statistics with no context.

Dig a lite deeper into vermont economic status before you start assuming someone who is not all gushy about the growth of a clearly extractive and destructive sector of the economy has personal wealth. What I'm saying about tourism is so far from questionable, even the toirism industry recognizes It's true.

It can be tough to get through to the realities of the industry because there is so much marketing material out there. I also understand that it can be tough for someone who's deep in a venture like Magic to hear criticism, but don't put words in my mouth. Never said there was an easy alternative.
    We should be transitioning to a more real production based economy.....no one suggested we should or could do it tomorrow, but at the same time we sure as fuck should not be looking to grow and expand it.
    Do yourself a favor and look closer VT labor statistics, income inequality, and dependence of federal $. Track that with the growth of service industry jobs and the decline of production.

Trust fund. Heh. Yeah, trust funder here in my tiny house, with my rusty 12 year old vw and my 17 year old mtb, on old Tele boots and skis you would all throw away. Save the judgement bro. When Magic Mtn falls apart again let me know, I'll forward your resume to DarnTough.

I am critical of the toirism industry based on years of personal effort to understand it. You are all titty balls for it based on what? Just arguing with me? Fine. If you really believe that the continued growth of this industry will provide any significant number of resident upward economic mobility and fiscal security you're embracing ignorance but hey....that's what we do in 'Merica. We're exceptional after all.
    https://youtu.be/GaD8y-CGhMw
    https://vtdigger.org/2017/12/10/pete...ng-vermonters/
    Last edited by DaveVt; 01-28-2018 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    What about maple syruping?
    Climate change is killing the maple trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post

VT-F, you been out on your Originators yet? I'm mounting mine up tonight when I get home.

No, mulling over binding choice. SpiderJon has a few Beasts left and I really love the way they ski, so I might get another set or will insert them soon. Skiing seems meh lately, so I am pushing to get a job finished before it comes around or take a trip if it doesn't. I like the long sidecut, looks like they'll be fun to cruise around on.
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    Climate change is killing the maple trees.
    The Canadian Cartel is killing small VT producers. VT maple shall transition to massive industrial operations or perish. Just like dairy.

We should just take over Canada. Ethan Allen would approve. They are stealing our snows, syrup, road maps and liberal politics.

I've already uncovered a plan: CANADA INVASION
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

The Canadian Cartel is killing small VT producers. VT maple shall transition to massive industrial operations or perish. Just like dairy.
    It's already happening up in the kingdom, just with out of state investors: https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...dYN/story.html
    go Go GO!

23-24: 63. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

Another thing to research is the business climate here in our lovely state. At least it's not 50th (but it is 49th). 20 years ago, there actually was a fairly robust production economy but then the voracious appetite for tax revenue forced them all away...IBM, GE, IDX, Bombardier, Rossignol, etc. Those are just some of the examples up in B-ton. I drive through Springfield and Bellows Falls from time to time and it looks even worse down in that part of the state.

Don't mean to poke at the teachers on here (hard job, no doubt) but Vermont's spending per student is 70% above the national average and the student to staff ratio is the lowest in the nation. I know they don't pay you guys enough, so where is all that money going? School taxes are outrageous but there's no other way to get the funding because the corporate climate is so toxic.

This state will never have an economy that doesn't depend on tourism unless something changes in the State House. It won't be long before Green Mountain Coffee Roasters will be in North Carolina...

I did catch DoWork at the top of the Red Chair this morning at about 8:00 just as the sun was peeking over the top of Glebe.

Name:	IMG_0007.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	535.7 KB 
ID:	222394
    So, I did ski 1 lap today....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0007.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	488.0 KB 
ID:	222393  

When Magic Mtn falls apart again let me know, I'll forward your resume to DarnTough.

I am critical of the toirism industry based on years of personal effort to understand it.
    Lots of inter-related and complex issues at play in Vermont. One thing leads to another. Bottom line, Vermont is beautiful and for better or worse, it sells. I may be wrong, but my thought is Vermont will never have the robust high paying economy of other states, as there are not enough skilled people for the labor pool. And it's just too sparsely populated and lacks the infrastructure (tax and built). Too much to go into on an internet ski forum, but maybe over a couple beers sometime. Only Vermont beers, tho.

But to discount the enthusiasm DoWork brings to Magic (and this board) or anyone else for that matter makes you look like a bitter jackass. You seem to relish the role of the troll, but it is growing tiresome. That place has been languishing for years and is now operated by a much more committed and knowledgeable group. They have invested millions, not to mention hundreds of hours of labor to bring it back up to something amazing. They are putting their time and money into something that will have a positive effect on the local economy. I love skiing there and would do whatever I can to help and only wish them continued success.

Lastly, if you want to look like an expert on tourism, learn to spell it first.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Don't mean to poke at the teachers on here (hard job, no doubt) but Vermont's spending per student is 70% above the national average and the student to staff ratio is the lowest in the nation. I know they don't pay you guys enough, so where is all that money going? School taxes are outrageous but there's no other way to get the funding because the corporate climate is so toxic.
    Not a teacher but my wife is in Montpelier (though she has also taught in a more rural setting prior to her current position). I can't speak for her but to me it sounds like the major increase in school staffing has nothing to do with hiring more teachers (most of the teachers she has worked with have multiple certifications to teach multiple grade levels and subjects, so they have a full work load) and much more to with hiring more support staff (behavior interventionists, 1 to 1s, etc). She has seen more trauma in the student population than you may believe, so the support staff is completely necessary because my wife is an educator (and a compassionate one at that) but she is not a social worker or a psychologist and is limited in what she can accomplish in her classroom without this support. I know the governor has some kind of vendetta against teachers (he almost shut down the state government over their healthcare costs last year), but it seems like focusing so much on education costs in the long run is going to cause more harm than good when the quality of education plummets because of his proposed cuts.

TL;DR Don't blame teachers for poverty and the effects it has on kids.

Fuck I need to go skiing.

I kinda wish I was an ice climber.

Quote Originally Posted by AyoBeng View Post
    Not a teacher but my wife is in Montpelier (though she has also taught in a more rural setting prior to her current position). I can't speak for her but to me it sounds like the major increase in school staffing has nothing to do with hiring more teachers (most of the teachers she has worked with have multiple certifications to teach multiple grade levels and subjects, so they have a full work load) and much more to with hiring more support staff (behavior interventionists, 1 to 1s, etc). She has seen more trauma in the student population than you may believe, so the support staff is completely necessary because my wife is an educator (and a compassionate one at that) but she is not a social worker or a psychologist and is limited in what she can accomplish in her classroom without this support. I know the governor has some kind of vendetta against teachers (he almost shut down the state government over their healthcare costs last year), but it seems like focusing so much on education costs in the long run is going to cause more harm than good when the quality of education plummets because of his proposed cuts.

TL;DR Don't blame teachers for poverty and the effects it has on kids.

Fuck I need to go skiing.
    +1
    Many of the kids that have emotional problems and/or major learning deficit are now mainstreamed in the public school system. The number of kids with these problems is pretty big, especially in the poorer parts of the state. It costs a lot of money to make sure these kids are able to get an education and potentially end up a productive member of society.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using TGR Forums mobile app
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/