Page 179 of 214 FirstFirst ... 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 ... LastLast
Results 4,451 to 4,475 of 5329
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey44 View Post
    I still have no idea: What is a primary surface, what is a secondary surface?

In other news: NWS Forecast for yesterday was cloudy with 40% chance of rain, ma natch delivered a surprise bluebird day at Plattekill:

GetAmped

Scottski

I thought I was the only guy who sings when conditions are great. Nice to ski a run with buckethead!
    yea nice running into you harvey. and yes what a day!
    and great pics!
    the forecast went progressively bad since early in the week.
    actual weather exceeded the best forecast (no 'partly' in the sunny we enjoyed). it was grey and chilly until final 10minutes of my ride.
    the weather gods continued to smile on one of the east's great, independent
    ski areas.

and good to see scottski and get amped out too.

it was the kind of day where one skis long after feeling done.
    mtnbiker/boarder called his last run - but lined up at the chair 4 more times before calling it a day. lumpy gravy - on his likely last day of season
    pushed for two mor after that. we got down to a roped- off lift.
    liftie : "do you want one more?"
    and like that we were still in play after 5pm.

fine day!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	897.3 KB 
ID:	232379   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	81 
Size:	983.4 KB 
ID:	232380   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	72 
Size:	197.6 KB 
ID:	232381   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	84 
Size:	830.1 KB 
ID:	232382  

I like my crow roasted with garlic and basted with hot pepper flakes in oil. We spotted dozens of snowfalkes and a lot of very wet sleet.:

Rising waters added a Plan C.

Plan A's 4 water crossings were going to be running as hard as the first one and with the fourth one being a killer if you fell, we bailed.

Plan B was pay the 9 dollars and skin a lap at Cannon. No go, skin path was closed.

Plan C: Schilling Beer Co. in Littleton. Flatbread and Beer seemed the best option.

Taking all the blame: I should have remembered the water crossings.
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    liftie : "do you want one more?"
    and like that we were still in play after 5pm.
    This is classic Plattekill. The standard trick is to start looking for Laszlo around 3 or 3:30. He's usually out on the hill by then. Ski with him, and you can "one more" him until dark.

I didn't follow this one so closely since I wasn't free to ski this weekend.. but, i'd say that it seems like the actual weather outlets had a decent handle on it? probably the algorithms run by wu, mountain-forecast etc do an overly simplistic guess on the precip type and snow ratio for this kind of event

that parlour monoski looks pretty dope! buddy and I were discussing how one might shape a modern mono.. slightly wider stance etc

the thick heavy corn slush on friday was perfect mono snow, just trucks through it

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey44 View Post
    This is classic Plattekill. The standard trick is to start looking for Laszlo around 3 or 3:30. He's usually out on the hill by then. Ski with him, and you can "one more" him until dark.
    Place is just a gem especially for the southern folks like myself. .plan was to meet Bucket and Lumpy but the crew grew. Showing up in the lot while we were booting up and being sure we were safe, Scottski ( who I haven't skied with in many moons ) pulls in and GetAmpted just happen to be strolling across the lot.
    Ran into Harvey at the top of the lift after a few runs and BOOM what a day and crew ! GA always a pleasure to see/ski with u! thanks for ur generosity with ur slippery circle of instant speed!!! HARVEY it was super to meet you and ski with you. Scott , let's do it again next year and not wait so many! Good to see you! Bucket and Lumpy it's always a good time with you guys glad we made it happen. Typical Bucket pushing it to the last Bell and beyond. Awesome . Beers in the sun, good music, and fantastic skiing . FKNA
    always forward but never straight

I'm terrible with names, outfits and remembering. I found bucket easily because he described his Praxis BCs in ECRC on Friday. We'd only met once maybe 5 years ago at VTFs place at the Bush.
    Last edited by Harvey44; 04-16-2018 at 06:52 AM.

We could end up with a sleeper pow day for post work earned turns today!

Well crap. I finally get a mid week day off tomorrow and we're getting heavy rain in Tuckerman tonight so crap conditions for tomorrow. Sigh...

Dry slotted in central/eastern VT and light breeze. 94mph wind gust on Whiteface and 54mph in Rutland reported on the noon news. Power crews pulled due to dangerous conditions. Hope it stays on the other side of the hill.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Dry slotted in central/eastern VT and light breeze. 94mph wind gust on Whiteface and 54mph in Rutland reported on the noon news. Power crews pulled due to dangerous conditions. Hope it stays on the other side of the hill.

Same. It’s been quiet here so far but we are at the top of a hill so I brought my whole chainsaw kit home. Gassed up the gennie. Got a fresh tank of propane for the grill and ran cords to the wood stove blower after stacking extra wood inside... So the preparedness jinx is in full effect over here for sure. Fingers crossed.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Anyone risking the weather and skiing tomorrow? Damn it's tempting to drive up and even just lap the sherbie a few times if the weather really is that bad. How much rain did Mt Washington get at the base? Was it as bad as forecasted? Or more fell as snow than rain?

Saturday started out warm and cooled off, I'm out of shape so hiked up to HoJo's and down. The descent was way crunchier under foot. The ski reports from my friends who hiked and skied Left and Right Gully were not positive.

Sunday was lots of hail and sleet. The trees at Wildcat skied really nicely, especially the stand of birch that borders the ski area boundary. Fresh turns in a couple inches on top of frozen crust were way more fun than I expected.

Plattekill on Saturday

Laz's younger son Matt, runs one of the two bombardier groomers. He does it all with Macker but has a special interest in the park. That's all Matt.

He saved a pile of snow for "closing" weekend, and he built a kicker, right at the bottom of the triple. It was a big jump with a nice steep landing. It was a big hit right in front of the deck.

Then in the afternoon, Matt comes out and schools the crowd.

Here's my post, from the day...

http://nyskiblog.com/another-plattekill-surprise/

Power is out in Roxbury too. Good luck to all.

Sounds like quite the ice layer North of MRG....

3-4 inches of mank at ~1000 ft in Woodstock. Rodeo driving.

Mid April and I still have not had a true corn snow day yet.......

It’s been snowing here since Saturday and there’s almost no accumulation. It’s like my lawn has radiant heat.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Heard rumors of an avalanche at Whiteface yesterday. Lots of broken bones and in a coma. Unsure if it was in the Slides and if they were open or if the person came in from the highway. Will be interesting to hear details as they come out. Hopefully they recover well.

I just read Jay is extending their season into May and I still have three 1/2 price vouchers up for grabs. I’ll even pay for the damn stamp.

I saw this in the morning, maybe what the story is. Wasn't it rock hard and icy Saturday?

"Town of Wilmington
    Essex County
    Rescue: On April 14 at 6:33 p.m., DEC’s Ray Brook Dispatch received a transferred call from a group of nine hikers whose friend had fallen down Slide One while preparing to snowboard at Whiteface Ski Center. The subject slid down the entire slide and into a waterfall. The friends made their way to the bottom of the slide and located their friend injured and unconscious, but still breathing. Forest Rangers responded with Whiteface Ski Patrol, evaluated the subject, and provided first aid. The subject was transported to the road via Whiteface Mountain tracked vehicle and transferred to Wilmington EMS ambulance for transport to the hospital for further medical treatment."
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    It’s been snowing here since Saturday and there’s almost no accumulation. It’s like my lawn has radiant heat.

My driveway needed to be plowed today

Snaining in montreal, curious what this has been doing the last few days in points north.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post
    Anyone risking the weather and skiing tomorrow? Damn it's tempting to drive up and even just lap the sherbie a few times if the weather really is that bad. How much rain did Mt Washington get at the base? Was it as bad as forecasted? Or more fell as snow than rain?
    There's a Facebook group just for you....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A nice 4" of cream cheese to cover the water ice base at one of the local hills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk