Page 29 of 214 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast

EAST COAST ROLL CALL - Turn it up to 11

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    I hope that NEK realizes, that jump starting a thread, that was handed off from Laser Animal to vt-f, was kinda douchy.
    I miss BOB reports. Hope he comes back soon.
    Take laps
    Word on the street is he’s at Stowe.
    Cold & Windy BOB. Some trails opening on natural. Sorry, I don’t know he names of anything. Maybe 2” new today putting us at 12” storm total
    Soft bumps with snow maker ice or stumps in between.

Anyone skinning castle rock tomorrow?

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    Posting here to enjoy the stoke and keep informed.
    I am considering taking a trip to experience some east coast skiing for the first time.
    The Tahoe area conditions have been less than stellar and the short and long range forecasts aren't looking all that great here either. Am I correct that your current start to the season and forecasts are looking better?

Here are some of the resources/options I have going for me:
    - Epic Pass for Stowe
    - Mountain Collective for Sugarbush
    - Mountain Playground Card for half price at Mt. Abram and 2 for 1 at Granite Gorge
    - Enough points on Southwest Airlines to get me there and back home
    - Time off after the Christmas Holiday/Winter Break until January 7th

So I've got free time, free flights, and some free skiing going for me.
    It looks like a couple of the best places to fly into (on SW) would be Manchester, NH or Hartford, CT (Rental cars seem to be less expensive in Hartford.) (Southwest also flies to Albany, NY; Providence, RI; Boston, MA; and Portland, ME)

I am open to advice and suggestions.
    Thanks!

Fly into manchvegas and head north into VT. ~3hrs from the airport to Sugarbush or Stowe. If you've got the Epic pass, I'd personally go Stowe all the way. Better mtn and snowmaking, if the conditions aren't great. I'd shoot for not Christmas week - that's going to be a shitshow.
    Plan your trip as late as you can, our weather can be... fickle.
    go Go GO!

23-24: 63. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

Manchester or Providence Vets. Boston is a drag if you’re not spending time there.

Anyone around Burke? I might be going there soon.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by akokskis View Post
    Fly into manchvegas and head north into VT. ~3hrs from the airport to Sugarbush or Stowe. If you've got the Epic pass, I'd personally go Stowe all the way. Better mtn and snowmaking, if the conditions aren't great. I'd shoot for not Christmas week - that's going to be a shitshow.
    The last I heard last week the BC in the Stowe area wasn't really ready but we've gotten a lot of snow since then. The snow stake on Mansfield is up to 32" at the last update so it's getting close if not there yet. Further south towards Sugarbush will have a little less base to work with.

I prefer flying in/out of Albany. Stop at Magic on your way north. It's not bad at all during Christmas week but very unlikely any BC will be skiable by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Vets View Post
    Posting here to enjoy the stoke and keep informed.
    I am considering taking a trip to experience some east coast skiing for the first time.
    The Tahoe area conditions have been less than stellar and the short and long range forecasts aren't looking all that great here either. Am I correct that your current start to the season and forecasts are looking better?

Here are some of the resources/options I have going for me:
    - Epic Pass for Stowe
    - Mountain Collective for Sugarbush
    - Mountain Playground Card for half price at Mt. Abram and 2 for 1 at Granite Gorge
    - Enough points on Southwest Airlines to get me there and back home
    - Time off after the Christmas Holiday/Winter Break until January 7th

So I've got free time, free flights, and some free skiing going for me.
    It looks like a couple of the best places to fly into (on SW) would be Manchester, NH or Hartford, CT (Rental cars seem to be less expensive in Hartford.) (Southwest also flies to Albany, NY; Providence, RI; Boston, MA; and Portland, ME)

I am open to advice and suggestions.
    Thanks!
    Careful now...these east coast types get way too stoked over 24 inches on top of grass and rocks.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Hartford is the answer. So easy in and out. Puts you right on I-91. Straight shot up the highway to VT or NH.
    Do not discount NH, totally different feel in the Granite State. Cannon Mountain breeds stoke filled skiers like it's their job. Home of Bode. One of the oldest ski hills in the country and one of the last state run areas anywhere. They keep it real. Legit 2,000 vert without the flat runouts of Vermont. Plus the ski museum by the tram dock is a must see attraction. Franconia Notch is truly a special place. The views and landscape of the Whites are way better than the Greens.
    Let's Party
    Last edited by buttahflake; 12-14-2017 at 06:06 AM.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Vets - consider looking into flying to Albany as well. It should add some more options and a cheap rental car and the difference in drive time is pretty minimal if anything to Stowe. You'll also be really close to Magic Mountain if you'd like to hit it on the way in or out. Everything else that's been said is totally valid, keep us up to date with your plans.

edit to add that MNIAW had all this covered, the lolz.

Quote Originally Posted by akokskis View Post
    But guaranteed to have flat light and cold temps (at some point)!
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Careful now...these east coast types get way too stoked over 24 inches on top of grass and rocks.
    This is true. Best to wait until the snow stake on Mansfield hits 60. I think Stowe and Smuggs, with their associated side country are the best mtns in the east. NH looks great on paper but they just don't get the snow on average so Vt has a good mix of terrain and freshies that aren't a long skin in.

On Ascutney, I was told it was mowed down to the ground and very clean. A foot of snow is certainly enough for hover mode, hadn't seen any reports.

You heard wrong on Ascutney. Mowed on one or two sections near the rope tow. So it probably looks ripe for the taking. But seriously, that place is a bone yard.
    A foot of snow is no where near enough. YMMV
    crab in my shoe mouth

you never know until you go.

I have gone, core shots and blown edges. Lucky to escape in one piece.
    But if anyone knows more about a place they've never been, it's DaveNJ. He's a local no matter where he is!
    Git Sum
    crab in my shoe mouth

Regional folklore on the naming of Ascutney. Long ago a cartographer and his Indian guide were climbing the mountain when the guide asked what the name for the peak was? At that same instance, the guide slipped on a rock looked down and said “I’s cut knee!”

Ascutney is possibly ancient Abenaki for mountain or “where the river forks.”
    /history lesson.

Ascutney will open the rope tow this weekend. They did well from this storm.

http://ascutneyoutdoors.org/ropetow

For now, stick to the mowed stuff, obviously:
    Name:  a1b93f7b-c723-4f72-bf44-783b21f9c820.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  255.1 KB

Vets: I second Hartford (Bradley). It is one of the easiest airports I've ever dealt with. PM if you'd like any specific details on travel and options in these parts. Definitely head north- Stowe, 'Bush, Jay, Smuggs--> far and away the best terrain and overall snow quality in VT.

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions.
    I'll look into booking flights first (Southwest has a sale that ends today, so I can possible save some flight points for future storm chasing) and can work out other details later.
    Exploring new areas can be a fun adventure.

^^^Check in here when you're planning and/or rolling through. In spite of our absurd disfunction on the interwebs, lots of great folk in this thread who take pleasure and pride in showing folks the goods. Also, I hope you like beer, we do that really well out here. Cheers!

I heard Stowe was a complete shit show the other day. Packed and tracked by 10:30. They sold over 300,000 epic passes in the Boston area alone. Anyone recommending Stowe. Needs to, Take a Lap!

And Cannon had almost no traffic or wind. Also, my buddy said they were still getting facials at 2:00!
    crab in my shoe mouth

^^^I love Stowe, I truly do and will always consider it the crown jewel of NE skiing... But yeah, I may never ski there again, at least not on a weekend or holiday. I really can't see how that valley will effectively handle this influx. I hope I'm wrong, but I feel like the Epic pass is going to royally F up that place (in spite of the profit margins).

yesterday was rad. but man this "ski de back" thing seems to be trending..

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Anyone around Burke? I might be going there soon.
    Does living within 5 miles count?
    I might be able to sneak up for a morning during the week.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post

And Cannon had almost no traffic or wind. Also, my buddy said they were still getting facials at 2:00!
    Dear jong...stfu

Sorry to blow your spot up beater. I went to Plymouth State in the 80's. We skied there on our college pass for free! They could use the business. Cannon is the best mountain in New England. Look for Jack Straw, he's the only 50 year old knuckledragger on that hill!
    Party
    crab in my shoe mouth

They had snowblades in the 80's?

Cannon sucks. Always shear ice, rocks, dirt, and windy as fuck. Loon is way better.

G'mornin' maggots.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums