Page 11 of 214 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Goniff View Post
    The pics above were on Cascade Headwall and Ridge Run.

Paging Spanky. What happened to KZone?
    Our hosting provider picked up "malware" in a text file in our gallery (I believe it was just a link to a malware site in comments for a photo album). I removed the offending files reported by scan output. I'm now waiting for the hosting provider to re-run the scan to make sure there are no other vulnerabilities. Once that is done, I've been promised the site will be back up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 7.50.34 PM.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	216595
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    The Bush was cold and firm this morning. 1 trail got old quick but the season has begun!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Nice! Might be a bit softer tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Greenstateofmind View Post
    Interesting conversation taking place regarding future management plan for Camel's Hump. I believe the first public forum was sometime last week.
    http://digital.vpr.net/post/plan-cam...bears#stream/0

Burlington Free Press did a little different spin on the story in yesterday's print. Their version points some fingers at backcountry skiing community. I didn't post it because it requires a subscription (crooks).

VPR seems to put backcountry sports enthusiasts across the table from more traditional sportsmen and the forest products industry. Most interesting to me is that this is all state land.

I like that Camel's Hump lacks roads and weather stations and whatever and don't think it should be overly reshaped to fit human desires. On the other hand, if a main argument against cutting glades is to boost regeneration and future harvest plans for the forest products industry, well that stinks too.
    They create a false conflict to validate the need for some bullshit non profit grant funnel. It's also about selling out a local experience for the promise of tourist dollars once they map and sign shit and male it easy to find. The impact of renegade cutting is nothing. Nothing as compared to commercial logging. Total red herring.
    Last edited by DaveVt; 11-18-2017 at 06:09 PM.

A solid 4" of natural snow on the top of So. VT's highest hill made for a few nice turns but the crusty man-made lower down ranged from breakable crust to slow glop. It's always an adventure coming over the top of a snow making whale and finding a sheer drop.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    They create a false conflict to validate the need for some bullshit non profit grant funnel. It's also about selling out a local experience for the promise of tourist dollars once they map and sign shit and make it easy to find. The impact of renegade cutting is nothing. Nothing as compared to commercial logging. Total red herring.
    And your Forestry, Natural Science, or Ecology degree came from which institution?

Potential for a good amount of snow up high from this front moving through tonight. Anything below 4k will probably have a couple really good days of whitewater boat riding.

EAST COAST ROLL CALL - Turn it up to 11

Crusty night laps at Mss

I’ll take it, and whatever this forecast brings north of the city
    27° 18°

I've no forestry degree or cerification but have worked with a couple of arborists (three sunmers landcape crew and many years of 3-6 work days at MRG) and have skied Lyall in the Chic Chocs. There are few rare species in central VT and at all elevations on CH there are diverse populations, mostly in good condition. Birches have a longevity problem, but that problem is endemic.

If there are Old- Growth forest sections on CH those are something to be protected w/o exception, but I would be surprised if that area amounted to more than 50 acres.

I mention Lyall because that was a Skier/Logger collaboration with some monitoring over the subsequent years. My wintertime observations showed me a very healthy forest. I am interested in whether soils erosion caused by the cutting has evinced or not.

Trust issues regarding profiteering are quite valid so I won't run that down but I will point out that careful planning and srict monitoring could also result in a healthy forest with good recreational gains and some commercial benefit. I say "could". There is a history of roughshod trampling over ecological systems by commercial interests along with some myopia of federal/state agencies tasked with management. There is no guarantee that the results would be all rosy, or all rotten.... Best wishes for the locals being able to work this out.
    Last edited by robrox; 11-18-2017 at 06:54 PM.
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    And your Forestry, Natural Science, or Ecology degree came from which institution?
    Oooo. Academic elite in to validate it's self. I've toured around enough and read enough to know that the impacts of forestry on our landscape are more profound in orders of magnitude as compared to the impacts of the renegade cutting has been in Vermont. Any digression from that matter-of-fact reality is an attempt to distort reality and promote an agenda.

Oooo. Academic elite in to validate it's self. I've toured around enough and read enough to know that the impacts of forestry on our landscape are more profound in orders of magnitude as compared to the impacts of the renegade cutting has been in Vermont. Any digression from that matter-of-fact reality is an attempt to distort reality and promote an agenda.
    The mere fact that you have “ toured around enough” shows how great of a tourist you are. I’m fairly positive the 7-9 years of watching the wickets grow around Paine has informed the sciences of the world about succession, runoff, and soil retention. I’ll be chewing my nails waiting for the peer review.

Quote Originally Posted by robrox View Post
    I will point out that careful planning and srict monitoring could also result in a healthy forest with good recreational gains and some commercial benefit.
    I think this hits the nail on the head. Let everyone prosper from the state land. And to be fair, good forest management considers many aspects, particularly wildlife habitat for game species. Which, seems to be central here because hunting is a large part of our culture and it sounds like sportsmen are being well represented in the conversation. I'm also not condemning timber harvesting, especially since it is state land and ANR plays a large role in calling the forestry shots. Personally, I'd love to see management that curtails all logging operations, I'm thinking Pisgah National Forest in North Carolina as a possibility of what can be done when conservation trumps all.

If we are going to manage the property, and ANR will, it's only fair that the backcountry ski community is aware of this exciting opportunity and realizes that as of now, they may not be receiving equal representation concerning future plans. Who wouldn't want a tear drop, ccc type trail at Camel's Hump?

I think the hump is great as it is. Biggest parcel of undeveloped land in the NW of Vermont and it is one of the few places you can still get way out in the woods within 30 mins of Burlington. Bike and ski trails are great and logging is certainly something that can have benefits, just hope it doesn't get turned into another hotspot like the teardrop. But, only my .02
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

the impacts of forestry on our landscape are more profound in orders of magnitude as compared to the impacts of the renegade cutting has been in Vermont.
    I think there's truth here and this is where I'd be concerned that our community is getting an improper short end of the stick.

Dave, you also mentioned the tourism component. I just saw that backcountry equipment sales were up 200% last year. I'm not sure if it crossed anyone's mind that if tourism and retail promotes this experience, they should probably be able to accommodate the experience without tourists heading out every which way in search of pow.

Trees are way overrated. Cut them down, we have way more than we need up here. More glade skiing and more flow MTB, this should be our mandate.
    The whole state should be connected by yurts and flow.
    Let's fucking Party.
    Eat a Dick, Davie-boi.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Laps View Post
    The logging aspect of that article is a bit concerning, but not sure what the effects would be. Not sure how a forest "stagnates" without logging.
    The argument goes that by thinning the forest you make room for the next generation to grow into healthy forest.

Anyways, I've already spouted way too much. Just thought some folks here would be interested to know this is taking place

Quote Originally Posted by Laps View Post
    I think the hump is great as it is.
    Agreed.

just hope it doesn't get turned into another hotspot like the teardrop.
    Oh it will. Look at what RASTA did to Brandon gap. Fucking travesty.

Rule of "thumb". Trim sparingly, tread lightly, be discreet, and enjoy it for you and yours. Like it's been done for nearly a century.

Looks like the rain is starting to change over on the Bush summit web cam. Unfortunately it'll probably be too little too late too make up for the damage done.

Quote Originally Posted by AyoBeng View Post
    Looks like the rain is starting to change over on the Bush summit web cam. Unfortunately it'll probably be too little too late too make up for the damage done.
    November.

Hawt rain to the top.Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 578
Size:  34.3 KB

crab in my shoe mouth

Nice!

EAST COAST ROLL CALL - Turn it up to 11

Feeling wintry north of island city

Last edited by danmelon; 11-20-2017 at 07:14 AM.
    27° 18°

4 sale: Two weekend passes for Killington World Cup Nov. 25-26, $150 plus shipping.

I am Boston based, but will be in VT this Tuesday/Wednesday. PM me if interested.

Name:	IMG_6258.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	216653
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Looks like Rog got banned again. I hadn't seen any posts that were douchey enough to get him re-banned but maybe posting a photo of himself in the douchey Padded Room thread proved that MrMan was indeed Rog which led to his latest ousting from the forum.
    Happy trails Rog, I'm sure you'll be back again in a month or so . Maybe as the alias FarNorthGangster
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Mr Worldwide - like Pitbull with a better vocabulary
    Hi guys. Long time no talk but feels so good to experience temps below 75 finally!!!
    I flew up this weekend for the NSP refresher and a buddy is taking me to Ktown on Wednesday to laugh at my baby deer legs. Down if anyone wants to make turns. His daughter will be accompanying us and I'm in nursing school so we won't be safe but will be liquid.

A couple years back before injuring my wrist and going back to school I grabbed these Full Tilts at REI garage sale. I paid $150 cause the left velcro strap is 'broken'. I hacked a fix together but it could be made better.
    318 bsl I've only skied them a few times because I'm 308. You can see the toes stickers are still showing.
    If you're in the Ktown area (or along NY thruway)
    $50

Name:	Full Tilt boots.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	875.4 KB 
ID:	216697

Best way to reach me for turns or boots is 551.777.1818
    Happy for cold but always praying for snow.
    "Yeah, yeah. you buy Playboy for the articles just like I watch Brokeback Mountain for the scenery... wait, that doesnt work."