Page 212 of 214 FirstFirst ... 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 LastLast
Results 5,276 to 5,300 of 5329
    Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    Money wise, driving will cost you about $225- 280for gas (2,000m/20mpgx 2.25-2.80g) plus another 60-120 in food (6 meals 10-20) and then add whatever you drive from Denver which is what you’d spend regardless.

I like to drive, I’ve driven across the country 3 times , two times to CO, two times to Alaska, once from AZ, it’s an experience and you can’t put a value on it. However, expect your ass to be wiped out when you hit your destination, and what ever hours you spend on the road add 8-14 hours sleep recovery time and another 8hrs before you feel normalish.
    Better to just use the IRS mileage rate (54.5 cents a mile) if you want to estimate total drive cost. The fuel money is only a small part of the total cost of operation; depreciation may be relatively low on a car with over 100k on it, but the wear-and-tear will show up in parts and service parts pretty quick. Driving EC to Colorado is probably enough on its own to require an oil and filter change or two, depending on route and your change interval, and that's just for starters. I haven't checked the mileage to Denver, but Montana to Maine it was about 2600 miles—so a round trip in the car is going to cost you a bit over $2600 in mileage. If you can get by without jumping to an SUV rental, flying and renting gets awfully tempting at that point.

The lack of snow tires on rentals is a bigger issue than the 2WD vs 4/AWD issue, IMO, but AFAIK no one in the US rents vehicles with snow tires.

Killington is opening this Friday?
    October 19th??
    What is happening???

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    Killington is opening this Friday?
    October 19th??
    What is happening???
    It's been cold for the past week at night it has been dipping into the 20s, those guns can pile snow quick

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app

Ski and Ride card is back and better than ever. (Now with 15 mountains!)
    Smuggs, MRG, Magic, Whiteface, Burke, Titus, West, Northeast Slopes, Middlebury Snow Bowl, Owls Head, Gore, Suicide Six, Cannon, Oak, Bretton Woods. 1 day ticket to each for $175

https://www.mychamplainvalley.com/ski-and-ride-card

Well I bought a plane ticket. They are really cheap right now on Jet Blue. So I bought an epic pass, too. I am planning on just staying near Vail. Anyone here ever stayed at the Vailbunkhouse? Money aside, I would rather ski than drive. Which bar at Vail is best for cougar hunting?
    https://vailbunkhouse.com/

And in terms of cost, your car depreciates even when you are not driving it. So the real cost is somewhere between gas and IRS. IRS is on the high side especially on an older car.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Better to just use the IRS mileage rate (54.5 cents a mile) if you want to estimate total drive cost. The fuel money is only a small part of the total cost of operation; depreciation may be relatively low on a car with over 100k on it, but the wear-and-tear will show up in parts and service parts pretty quick. Driving EC to Colorado is probably enough on its own to require an oil and filter change or two, depending on route and your change interval, and that's just for starters. I haven't checked the mileage to Denver, but Montana to Maine it was about 2600 miles—so a round trip in the car is going to cost you a bit over $2600 in mileage. If you can get by without jumping to an SUV rental, flying and renting gets awfully tempting at that point.

The lack of snow tires on rentals is a bigger issue than the 2WD vs 4/AWD issue, IMO, but AFAIK no one in the US rents vehicles with snow tires.

EAST COAST ROLL CALL - Turn it up to 11

i went to the front range for a few years when i had friends living there and saw all of the resorts and a good bit of bc.

i am sure someone on the west coast threads could help you out more, but here are my 2c:

i like frisco more than vail. better town. if you really wanted to party though, breck would be more fun. for skiing, beaver creek has the best snow and steeps. vail is a lot like stratton to me with the fake town nonsense, but i never did sleep slopeside and maybe that would change things. definitely the crowd is a little older than breck slightly more cougar/silverback then milf/cougar*.

* these values are based on the fact that the milf category starts at about 24 on various sites online from prior “research”
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

thanks. i just remember the skiing at vail back bowls being great, and most skiers never going back there.
    silverbacks... yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    i went to the front range for a few years when i had friends living there and saw all of the resorts and a good bit of bc.

i am sure someone on the west coast threads could help you out more, but here are my 2c:

i like frisco more than vail. better town. if you really wanted to party though, breck would be more fun. for skiing, beaver creek has the best snow and steeps. vail is a lot like stratton to me with the fake town nonsense, but i never did sleep slopeside and maybe that would change things. definitely the crowd is a little older than breck slightly more cougar/silverback then milf/cougar*.

* these values are based on the fact that the milf category starts at about 24 on various sites online from prior “research”

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    thanks. i just remember the skiing at vail back bowls being great, and most skiers never going back there.
    silverbacks... yikes!
    The back bowls are south facing blue runs. In fact, most of Vail is moderate (although there are some great runs).

The Epic pass has Breck, A Basin, and Keystone. I'd locate myself there and head to Vail and the Beav when conditions are ripe.

Breck base elevation gave me a hard time.
    Make sure to do some adjustments if you happen to stay in Breck.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post

Good call on the oil changes. As far as rentals go, it’s better to look at the tires and license plate than model when picking up the vehicle. Once had a SUV rental that barely made it with an inch of snow from Boston to Derby Center.

And in terms of cost, your car depreciates even when you are not driving it. So the real cost is somewhere between gas and IRS. IRS is on the high side especially on an older car.
    There's probably a spot in a car's lifespan where you can come out ahead of the mileage rate, but I've never owned one where that was the case. My current rig is a year-old pickup, so between higher fuel costs and high depreciation at this stage, I don't think I come out ahead when getting standard reimbursement. On the flip side, all my previous vehicles have been either fully depreciated or damn near that point, but the maintenance costs were almost universally above fifty cents a mile.

Put another way, the IRS has a damn good reason not to inflate the standard rate, and a lot more data to hand than we do. Any particular vehicle may vary from the rate, but if you don't keep enough track of costs and retained value to actually do the math, the standard rate is a pretty useful place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    Money wise, driving will cost you about $225- 280for gas (2,000m/20mpgx 2.25-2.80g) plus another 60-120 in food (6 meals 10-20) and then add whatever you drive from Denver which is what you’d spend regardless.

I like to drive, I’ve driven across the country 3 times , two times to CO, two times to Alaska, once from AZ, it’s an experience and you can’t put a value on it. However, expect your ass to be wiped out when you hit your destination, and what ever hours you spend on the road add 8-14 hours sleep recovery time and another 8hrs before you feel normalish.
    Wife and I have lugged our trailer VT to Driggs ID for the past three years and it's getting old. Not sure what we will do after 2019. Which is to say, if you are currently up for it , do it. A fast 5 minute jog when you stop for gas will improve your altertness and comfort immensely, as would a co-pilot.

Mid-atlantic DMVer here, Planning one or more road trips to VT this year

Updates by NOHRSC's schedule
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Model forecast cuts off a bit early, but it could be a good snow event for northeast;

^

Never give the gfs too much credit, especially out more than120hrs in my hack experience and even then it's suspect at best. Ensembles ftw, but longer range the ecmwf is consistently more accurate. It was explained to me by a local met in extremely dumbed down terms that the reason the gfs is generally less reliable is that the input data that goes in to the model is not as detailed as that of the euro.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_265279670853163.jpeg 
Views:	125 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	254049
    Ended up in New Hampshire. Driving through the white mountains. Found a WROD and had to ski. No rentals so I wandered around the parking lot asking to trade skis/boot time for beers.

Ended up with a pair of 3 sizes too big Salomon boots and some 166cm Salomon 1080s. He also loaned me his ski pants and helmet/goggles too.

Name:  IMG_20181104_141636931.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  61.7 KB
    Mount Washington looking great.

Name:	IMG_20181104_141630059.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	254051
    I'm pretty dang stoked to be sliding on snow. Didn't get a pic but ended up skiing with a mag. Think he said his handle was Goomba?

Name:	received_2286545668087023.jpeg 
Views:	128 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	254052

East Coast WROD, less mediocre than International @ alpy. Only a few sticks and open holes, no fog or avalanche debris.

Name:  IMG_20181104_153249404.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  94.6 KB

It's official.

Anyways, first time skiing the east coast. Pretty fun mountains you guys have. I'll be back!

fkna, that is rad. welcome!
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Thats some awesome spirit of skiing stuff Leavenworth. Good on ya.

Major win. Y'all come back now ya'heah!

The cat WROD is a pretty quintessential intro to the scene- well done!

It was a good time! A happy little accident.

He also loaned me his ski pants and helmet/goggles too
    that's impressive. Next time, be a real man and hike Tuck's.
    great TR, seriously
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Well I bought a plane ticket. They are really cheap right now on Jet Blue. So I bought an epic pass, too. I am planning on just staying near Vail. Anyone here ever stayed at the Vailbunkhouse? Money aside, I would rather ski than drive. Which bar at Vail is best for cougar hunting?
    https://vailbunkhouse.com/

planning the same trip. Breck and A Basin are way more fun than vail beav or keystone. I lived out there years ago, for a season. Copper is fun, too but not on the pass.
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    It was a good time! A happy little accident.
    Great to make some turns with ya. Awesome someone lent you their gear.